RB 5.1 and EditableMovies
Author Message
 RB 5.1 and EditableMovies

Hello.

I made a very simple app: a project with only the App class and the
following code in its Open event (to isolate the problem/bug):

  dim file as FolderItem
  dim movie as EditableMovie
  dim videoTrack as QTVideoTrack
  dim drawing as Picture

  file = DesktopFolder.child("Movie1.mov")
  movie = file.createMovie
  videoTrack = movie.newVideoTrack(100, 100, 1)
  drawing = NewPicture(100, 100, 32)
  drawing.graphics.drawRect(10, 10, 10, 10)
  videoTrack.appendPicture drawing

The Movie1.mov movie is created on the desktop; I can open it with
QuickTimePlayer; and it contains the right picture (i.e. a small
rectangle on a white background)
The problem/bug is that at the end of the method the application
crashes!
Did I make a mistake in these 6 lines of code?

If I manipulate a bit the code above it looks like the application
crashes when the movie and/or the videoTrack variables becomes out of
scope (of the scope of the method)...

Is there something else to do that I did not do? I tried the
saveOnClose and commitChanges methods (maybe in a wrong way?) but it
did not solve the problem.

Is this a RB bug?
How an I slove it?

Thanks,
Pascal.
RB 5.1 OSX 10.2.5.

PS: Nothing related: I think I was told that it would be possible to
solve Windows shortcuts (.lnk files) like aliases can be solved on the
Mac platform in RB 5.x, but it seem not to be the case. Am I wrong?
Thanks.

Wed, 26 Oct 2005 17:48:33 GMT
 RB 5.1 and EditableMovies

Quote:

> Is this a RB bug?
> How an I slove it?

IMHO it is a bug of RB, there are several bug reports in their bug-base.
Hopefully it get fixed for the next version!

See the report at
<http://support.realsoftware.com/feedback/viewreport.php?reportid=etlszvx
e>

Please add your voice :)

HTH, Stephan

Wed, 26 Oct 2005 19:20:45 GMT
 RB 5.1 and EditableMovies

Quote:

> The Movie1.mov movie is created on the desktop; I can open it with
> QuickTimePlayer; and it contains the right picture (i.e. a small
> rectangle on a white background)
> The problem/bug is that at the end of the method the application
> crashes!

Its a bug with appendpicture. The only workaraound I can think of for
now is to use a plugin but I'm holding out for it to be fixed soon. I'm
actually really happy with 5.1 but 80% of my apps make movies. Though I
can't distribute any of the apps, at least it makes a valid movie then I
restart.
-laz

Wed, 26 Oct 2005 22:56:19 GMT
 RB 5.1 and EditableMovies
On 5/10/03 11:56 PM, in article

Quote:

>> The Movie1.mov movie is created on the desktop; I can open it with
>> QuickTimePlayer; and it contains the right picture (i.e. a small
>> rectangle on a white background)
>> The problem/bug is that at the end of the method the application
>> crashes!

> Its a bug with appendpicture. The only workaraound I can think of for
> now is to use a plugin but I'm holding out for it to be fixed soon. I'm
> actually really happy with 5.1 but 80% of my apps make movies. Though I
> can't distribute any of the apps, at least it makes a valid movie then I
> restart.
> -laz

There's another way on OSX: download from the app ImageMagick, install it
without asking the user, and have it compose the movie for you ;-) A little
brutish and time-consuming, but it should work!

Didier

Wed, 26 Oct 2005 23:07:38 GMT
 RB 5.1 and EditableMovies

Quote:
> Its a bug with appendpicture. The only workaraound I can think of for
> now is to use a plugin but I'm holding out for it to be fixed soon. I'm
> actually really happy with 5.1 but 80% of my apps make movies. Though I
> can't distribute any of the apps, at least it makes a valid movie then I
> restart.
> -laz

I agree with you, it's really penalizing, my application crashes every time!

Joe: will be corrected in 5.2 I hope...? :-)

A+
Pascal.

PS: And about windows shortcuts (.lnk files). Any way to solve them with 5.1?

Thu, 27 Oct 2005 04:04:37 GMT

1. From Demo to Full RB 5.1

2. Printing Problems on Window with RB 5.1 for both the mac and windows

3. RB 5.1 Drag and Drop Garbage

4. RB 5.1 windows : Is it a joke ?

5. RB QuickStart Guider from RB

6. launching an RB app from another RB app - appleevents

7. RB Entwickler gesucht / RB Developers wanted

8. RB: row order by RB database

9. protocol.rb http.rb 1.1.24

10. replace setup.rb/install.rb with builtin module

11. install.rb/setup.rb question