RealBasic Newbie Questions
Author Message
 RealBasic Newbie Questions

Hey everyone,

I am a hobbiest VisualBASIC programmer who recently has become very
interested in the Macintosh platform.. I am seriously considering RealBasic
as a replacement for VB as my development tool of choice, but I do have a
few questions.

1>. VB has a wizard that will generate a complete setup package for your VB
applications under Windows, incluing a setup.exe file, all the required
DLL's, etc.. Does RB have a similar solution? If not, how would someone go
about packaging their RB apps for distribution on the Windows platform?

2>. And what about a Mac RB installer? Is there a user friendly installation
method for installing your RB apps on the Mac?

3>. Does the Win32 RB compiler support RB's TCP/IP support? If so, anyone
know how well it works?

Just a few questions before I go and purchase RealBasic.. Any information on
these topics would be greatly appreciated..

Best regards,
Steve J. Planck

Sun, 05 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 RealBasic Newbie Questions

Quote:
> 1>. VB has a wizard that will generate a complete setup package for your VB
> applications under Windows, incluing a setup.exe file, all the required
> DLL's, etc.. Does RB have a similar solution? If not, how would someone go
> about packaging their RB apps for distribution on the Windows platform?

You won't need this, because you don't need any dll's to run your app
under windows. It doesn't need runtime dlls like VB!

Quote:
> 2>. And what about a Mac RB installer? Is there a user friendly installation
> method for installing your RB apps on the Mac?

The installation of RB made apps is to copy them from CD to harddisk.
Nothing else is required.

Quote:
> 3>. Does the Win32 RB compiler support RB's TCP/IP support? If so, anyone
> know how well it works?

Sockets are available for windows, too.
Full TCP/IP support.

Quote:
> Just a few questions before I go and purchase RealBasic.. Any information on
> these topics would be greatly appreciated..

Buy it.

Mfg
Christian

--
Irren ist menschlich sprach der Igel und stieg von der Ente.
"Alimente Alimente"! sprach die Ente

Sun, 05 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 RealBasic Newbie Questions
The TCP/IP support for Windows built in or do you need an RB add-on?

Best regards,
Steve J. Planck

Quote:

> > 1>. VB has a wizard that will generate a complete setup package for your
VB
> > applications under Windows, incluing a setup.exe file, all the required
> > DLL's, etc.. Does RB have a similar solution? If not, how would someone
go
> > about packaging their RB apps for distribution on the Windows platform?

> You won't need this, because you don't need any dll's to run your app
> under windows. It doesn't need runtime dlls like VB!

> > 2>. And what about a Mac RB installer? Is there a user friendly
installation
> > method for installing your RB apps on the Mac?

> The installation of RB made apps is to copy them from CD to harddisk.
> Nothing else is required.

> > 3>. Does the Win32 RB compiler support RB's TCP/IP support? If so,
anyone
> > know how well it works?

> Sockets are available for windows, too.
> Full TCP/IP support.

> > Just a few questions before I go and purchase RealBasic.. Any
information on
> > these topics would be greatly appreciated..
> Buy it.

> Mfg
> Christian

> --
> Irren ist menschlich sprach der Igel und stieg von der Ente.
> "Alimente Alimente"! sprach die Ente

> http://www.christians-software.de (Kostenlose Mac/Win Software)

Sun, 05 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 RealBasic Newbie Questions
Built-in.

Also, to answer another question of yours, if you want, Aladdin Systems has
an installation program you can download and use for free (basic version),
or purchase for complicated installs. But the previous response it correct,
too - just copy executable to HD and run it :).

Jeff

Quote:

>The TCP/IP support for Windows built in or do you need an RB add-on?

>Best regards,
>Steve J. Planck

Sun, 05 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 RealBasic Newbie Questions

Quote:

> > 2>. And what about a Mac RB installer? Is there a user friendly installation
> > method for installing your RB apps on the Mac?

> The installation of RB made apps is to copy them from CD to harddisk.
> Nothing else is required.

This isn't exactly true, since it of course depends on the app you've
made. There are third-party installers, though, as well as Apple's
installer SDK, should the need arise.

--
"In a world full of lies which tug at the truth
 I'm taking no sides - Now I recognize you."

Sun, 05 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. REALBasic newbie question: structs and pointers?

2. Newbie Question: Realbasic Question

3. newbie question - what is realbasic - from a windows programmer

4. Newbie RealBasic Questions

5. newbie REALbasic question (random numbers)

7. Newbie to REALbasic -- want to make nslookup program

8. Newbie in Realbasic 4 needs help

9. Sound in RealBasic 4 Prof. (er, RealBasic)

10. Matching Data Types between RealBasic and the RealBasic Database

11. realbasic to excel/realbasic vers excel

12. Not a newbie, but a newbie question...