Continuation character?
Author Message
 Continuation character?

I'm relatively new to the list, so maybe this pet peeve of mine has
been discussed before. (In fact, I'll bet it has!)...

Does anyone know if RB 3.5 (or a planned later version) provides a way
of breaking a single "logical" line of code into multiple "physical"
lines for editing and printing? Jeez - TurboPascal for CP/M had a
continuation character! That was - what - 15, 16 years ago? And that
was in 64K of RAM! (Yes, 64 "Kay" as in "Kaypro.") You can't hiccup in
64K of RAM anymore, much less say "Hello, World!" But Borland figured
out how to break a line without confusing their compiler.

Am I the only person who finds this one-line-to-one-line correspondence
ridiculously primitive in this day of OOPLs, GUIs, and IDEs? BASIC got
rid of line numbers - what - 17 years ago? Isn't it about time the
single, unbroken line of code went to join line numbers in that big bit
bucket in the sky?

Every time I have to scroll an RB code editor window, I am reminded of
my old daisy wheel printer that would run off and bash its brains out
on the end of the platen because it was too stupid to know where the
edge of the paper was. Sheesh!

Maybe this is a pretty low-tech, low-priority, low-"wow"-factor feature
request, but how difficult could it be to implement a continuation
character? It doesn't even have to be automatic (like word-wrap),
although that would be nice, too. (TurboPascal had it.) Just let me
press option-return or option-enter or whatever. Please!

Just 'cause I have a mouse, it doesn't mean I LIKE to scroll!

Chip

(Just venting, I guess)

Sat, 17 Jan 2004 06:36:24 GMT
 Continuation character?

Quote:

> Does anyone know if RB 3.5 (or a planned later version) provides a way
> of breaking a single "logical" line of code into multiple "physical"
> lines for editing and printing? Jeez - TurboPascal for CP/M had a
> continuation character! That was - what - 15, 16 years ago? And that
> was in 64K of RAM! (Yes, 64 "Kay" as in "Kaypro.") You can't hiccup in
> 64K of RAM anymore, much less say "Hello, World!" But Borland figured
> out how to break a line without confusing their compiler.

Even AppleScript has the option-return!

Sat, 17 Jan 2004 07:37:03 GMT
 Continuation character?

Quote:

> Does anyone know if RB 3.5 (or a planned later version) provides a way
> of breaking a single "logical" line of code into multiple "physical"
> lines for editing and printing?

3.5 does not, and we won't publicly speculate about later versions.

Quote:
> Maybe this is a pretty low-tech, low-priority, low-"wow"-factor feature
> request, but how difficult could it be to implement a continuation
> character?

It's quite difficult, at the moment, because of the structure of the
legacy code that comprises our compiler.  We're working on a new
compiler now that would allow us to easily fix this and many other
things as well, but you won't see that for a while yet.  Meanwhile, a
fix would be expensive, but maybe worth it.

Quote:
> (Just venting, I guess)

Don't just vent, fire up REALbugs and make a formal feature request.
Far more effective than venting.

Cheers,
- Joe

Sat, 17 Jan 2004 07:46:18 GMT

1. Simple question about continuation character.

2. Continuation - A Character Context

3. max number of characters and continuation lines

4. Line continuation for a string > 79 characters

5. f2c problems with character variables, and too many continuation lines

6. difference between character and character array

7. Array of character vs. character*ii

8. CHARACTER *(*) to CHARACTER*255

9. TAB character in a character constant

10. CHARACTER*1 A(80) and CHARACTER*80 A?

11. character*80 versus character*1 (80)

12. (subtypep '(simple-array character (*)) '(array character (*)))