Copying files with REALbasic
Author Message
 Copying files with REALbasic

Hi--

   I am new to REALbasic, and I'm trying to do a quick application to back
up files, but I have a question about the FolderItem.CopyFileTo method. It
doesn't seem to copy if there is already a file there with the same name.

   The Language Guide sort of implies it ought to write over the
destination file, but it's worded kind of ambiguously. It has a lot of
'items', but no clarification on what's a source item and what's a
destination item.

   Any help would be appreciated, thanks...

   charlie

--
*** delete *BadPart* in return address to reply via email ***

Sun, 04 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Copying files with REALbasic
In article

:> Hi--
:>
:>    I am new to REALbasic, and I'm trying to do a quick application to back
:> up files, but I have a question about the FolderItem.CopyFileTo method. It
:> doesn't seem to copy if there is already a file there with the same name.
:>
:>    The Language Guide sort of implies it ought to write over the
:> destination file, but it's worded kind of ambiguously. It has a lot of
:> 'items', but no clarification on what's a source item and what's a
:> destination item.
:>
:>    Any help would be appreciated, thanks...
:>
:>    charlie

You're absolutely correct -- this is a long-standing complaint of mine.
But I might be able to help you out here.  I've already written a program
in RB called SaveIt which does backups.  It's available at my FTP site at
<ftp://ftp.mindspring.com/users/sjacksn/>.  The version I've put up there
includes a readme file and a fat binary.  If you like it, I can send you
one compiled only for 68K or PPC if you'd prefer.  I can even work with
you to let you see the code.  I reworked it somewhat with RB 2.0 to allow
it to stop auto-resolving aliases, since a backup of my Preferences or
System Folder was growing unnecessarily large.

= Steve =

--
Steve W. Jackson,  Montgomery, Alabama
http://www.mindspring.com/~sjacksn/stevehome.html

Sun, 04 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. CW2.003 File copy changes the date.....need a way to copy w/o date change

2. BUG: file copy copies links as links

3. Sound in RealBasic 4 Prof. (er, RealBasic)

4. Matching Data Types between RealBasic and the RealBasic Database

5. realbasic to excel/realbasic vers excel

6. copying files using as a different file name

7. Setting file attributes and Copying files

8. H E L P COPY(file,new file)

9. CW2.003 Copy file changes file date

10. Copy a *.txt file to another file

11. File (original) To File Copy (storage)

12. VMS LIB$ copying file a file in FORTRAN