MP3/ID3 tags
Author Message
 MP3/ID3 tags

Does anyone have/used/know of a class or plug-in for REALBasic 4 that
will allow for editing of ID3 tags?  I REALLY don't want to write my
own and I could not find any RB classes or plug-ins that did this.  I
basically want to be able to say "artist = id3tag.artist(file object)"
or something.  You know, be able to read and write ID3 tags.

If you know of any please drop me a line at

tjpile - AT - zbzoom - DOT - net

Thanx!

Wed, 22 Sep 2004 05:08:37 GMT
 MP3/ID3 tags

Quote:

> Does anyone have/used/know of a class or plug-in for REALBasic 4 that
> will allow for editing of ID3 tags?  I REALLY don't want to write my
> own

But the point of RB is that you do the programming. Study the MP3 format
and write the code. The well-known program ID3X does just what you want,
and it is a REALbasic app. If they can do it you can do it. m.

--

      *** REALbasic: The Definitive Guide! 2nd edition! ***
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596001770/somethingsbymatt

Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:19:49 GMT
 MP3/ID3 tags
In article

Quote:

> > Does anyone have/used/know of a class or plug-in for REALBasic 4 that
> > will allow for editing of ID3 tags?  I REALLY don't want to write my
> > own

> But the point of RB is that you do the programming. Study the MP3 format
> and write the code. The well-known program ID3X does just what you want,
> and it is a REALbasic app. If they can do it you can do it. m.

Sorry Matt, but I disagree on that. The whole idea behind a (more or
less) object oriented programming tool like RB is to re-use code, not to
invent the wheel twice. Think that's why there are classes and plug-ins,
isn't it?

If I really wanted to write everything myself I'd dust off my CW
compiler (which I bought a couple of years ago) and start writing in C.
The only valid reason to write programs in RB is that it's fast (the
writing that is, not the actual program ;-)) and relatively easy, and
that there are many useful classes and plug-ins availbale so you can
have a decent working program in very little time.

To the original poster: there is a class available that does what you
want. Get it here:
http://homepage.mac.com/ka6dvn/.cv/ka6dvn/Public/MP3INFO-binhex.hqx

Sorry for being helpful... ;-)

S.

--
Spamtrap: notmail is hotmail

Light travels faster than sound.
That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Thu, 23 Sep 2004 22:02:18 GMT
 MP3/ID3 tags

Quote:

>> But the point of RB is that you do the programming. Study the MP3 format
>> and write the code. The well-known program ID3X does just what you want,
>> and it is a REALbasic app. If they can do it you can do it. m.

>Sorry Matt, but I disagree on that. The whole idea behind a (more or
>less) object oriented programming tool like RB is to re-use code, not to
>invent the wheel twice. Think that's why there are classes and plug-ins,
>isn't it?

I don't know. Both points have their merits. In this case, the task is so
trivial that I, personally, would code it myself. Not to mention that if
I decided to make any money off the final app, I wouldn't be beholden to
another developer. Check out the specs here:

   http://www.volweb.cz/str/tags.htm

But then that's my own hobbyist programmer mentality. I like that sort of
thing. RB lets me bypass the boring grunt work and get right to the fun
stuff like this. That's why I use it.

But then everyone has their own line at which they divide the "grunt
work" from the "fun stuff".

 - Jeff

Thu, 23 Sep 2004 23:41:57 GMT
 MP3/ID3 tags
On 5.4.2002 23:08 Uhr, in article

Quote:
> Does anyone have/used/know of a class or plug-in for REALBasic 4 that
> will allow for editing of ID3 tags?  I REALLY don't want to write my
> own and I could not find any RB classes or plug-ins that did this.  I
> basically want to be able to say "artist = id3tag.artist(file object)"
> or something.  You know, be able to read and write ID3 tags.

> If you know of any please drop me a line at

> tjpile - AT - zbzoom - DOT - net

> Thanx!

I made an MP3-App which used RBs EditableMovie Class to extract MP3-Tag
Information. Open the folderitem of the mp3-file as editable movie
(f.openEditableMovie) and use the UserData property of it to get and set tag
information. Refer to the RB language reference for more info on the
EditableMovie and QTUserData Classes.

See Reference for other types...

matthias

Sat, 25 Sep 2004 02:31:11 GMT

1. Calrion and MP3 ID3 tag

2. Extension for reading mp3 ID3 tags?

3. Created a Python module for ID3 MP3 tag manipulation

4. How to modify ID3 tags in MP3 files?

5. mp3 id3 and genre

6. mp3 id3

7. ID3 Tags

8. ID3 Tags and realbasic

9. grabbing id3 tags

10. MP3 MP3 MP3

11. Python script to rename MP3 file using it's ID3 tag.

12. RB & MP3 ID3v2 Tags