Serial1 Buffer and DataAvailable event
Author Message
 Serial1 Buffer and DataAvailable event

I have been trying unsucessfully to correctly figure out what makes
the DataAvailable event fire in a serial control when there is new
data in the buffer.
I would think the moment there is new data in the buffer, even one new
character the even should fire and I could then add that to a
editfield.
Currently it fires only when it wants. I can make it fire, but I must
move the mouse around in the same window as the serial1 control. This
looks like a bug to me. I have tried getting around this by making a
timer1 control and checking the lookahead, but this has it's own
issues. I have used the following code in the dataavailable event:

if len(serial1.lookahead) >=1 then
editfield1.text = editfield1.text + serial1.readall
statictext2.text ="Data Read"
else
Statictext2.text ="Buffer Empty"
endif

My question is there a known bug with the serial and winxp? Does
anybody know how this buffer works and do they have any example code?

I am running Windows XP Demo v5.1 but have the Mac5.1 Pro version. Can
it be a limitation of the demo?

Thanks for the help
Jeff

Sun, 30 Oct 2005 09:57:49 GMT

1. Doing Buffered Event count by using Count Buffered Edges.vi, what is the max buffer size allowed?

2. buffered event counting

3. How do I flush the tk event buffer ?

4. purging button event "buffer"?

5. Tk Event Buffer

6. Tcl Event Loop vs TK Event Loop issues with Asynchronous Events

7. Buffer Compare to Buffers

8. Buffers on Windows Me (buffers=40)

9. Doing Buffered Event count by using Count Buffered Edges.vi,...

10. Doing Buffered Event count by using Count Buffered Edges.vi,...

11. Buffered and non-buffered IO