video card problems
Author Message
 video card problems

i have a 266 MHZ beige G3 mini-tower and it came with audio/video
input/output ports. i guess you could call it a video capture card???
well, as i remember, when i first got the computer it worked awesomely.
but for a long time now the video just doesn't show up!! i have tried
numerous programs, including Apple's Video Player, Hack TV, BTV Edit,
and others, but still no video image will come through. it is driving me

nuts!!!! does anyone know if this can be a software problem, such as a
conflicting extension, or a harware problem????

i forgot to include that my computer came with OS 8.0. i then upgraded
to 8.1, which I think is when the problem started and alot others! now i

have recently upgraded to OS 9, and most of my 8.1 problems are solved,
ecept for this one. but i suppose it could be a software conflict (i
don't usually dump coke over my capture card!!)

Thanks in advance,
Brett Wilson

Mon, 23 Jun 2003 04:50:27 GMT
 video card problems

Quote:
> i have a 266 MHZ beige G3 mini-tower and it came with audio/video
> input/output ports. i guess you could call it a video capture card???
> well, as i remember, when i first got the computer it worked awesomely.
> but for a long time now the video just doesn't show up!! i have tried
> numerous programs, including Apple's Video Player, Hack TV, BTV Edit,
> and others, but still no video image will come through. it is driving me

> nuts!!!! does anyone know if this can be a software problem, such as a
> conflicting extension, or a harware problem????

> i forgot to include that my computer came with OS 8.0. i then upgraded
> to 8.1, which I think is when the problem started and alot others! now i

> have recently upgraded to OS 9, and most of my 8.1 problems are solved,
> ecept for this one. but i suppose it could be a software conflict (i
> don't usually dump coke over my capture card!!)

> Thanks in advance,
> Brett Wilson

The first question I would ask is: Where did you get OS 8.1 and OS 9? Were
they paid upgrade disks from Apple or were they System Install Disks that
shipped with another Mac?

Reason is, such disks don't always include the proper software drivers for
machine-specific hardware such as this.

In which case, I would try a clean install of OS 9 from a full install CD.

If that doesn't work, I'd check to make sure that the card has not come
loose inside the case. This can happen over time and re-seating it can solve
the problem.

I was happy to help you with this problem as I'm more of an expert on this
topic than with RB but this question really should have been posted to a
news group relating to Mac troubleshooting or something.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

--

Apple Certified Technician
Apple Product Professional

Mon, 23 Jun 2003 12:28:10 GMT
 video card problems

Quote:

> i have a 266 MHZ beige G3 mini-tower and it came with audio/video
> input/output ports. i guess you could call it a video capture card???
> well, as i remember, when i first got the computer it worked awesomely.
> but for a long time now the video just doesn't show up!! i have tried
> numerous programs, including Apple's Video Player, Hack TV, BTV Edit,
> and others, but still no video image will come through. it is driving me

> nuts!!!! does anyone know if this can be a software problem, such as a
> conflicting extension, or a harware problem????

> i forgot to include that my computer came with OS 8.0. i then upgraded
> to 8.1, which I think is when the problem started and alot others! now i

> have recently upgraded to OS 9, and most of my 8.1 problems are solved,
> ecept for this one. but i suppose it could be a software conflict (i
> don't usually dump coke over my capture card!!)

> Thanks in advance,
> Brett Wilson

Hmmm,
 I had a simular problem I used to have with my 8100/80AV.
 If I remember it had something to do either with the screen
size(resolution) or number of colors(screen depth). Maybe both. I would
start with lowering the number of colors.
As long as your software is recognizing you card. You can check this by
launching the software and checking the video settings.

Good Luck

J5

Fri, 27 Jun 2003 12:07:02 GMT

1. PCI Video Cards and ISA Video Cards

2. PCI Video Cards and ISA Video Cards

3. Problems with video cards with Win95

4. ATI Mach64 Video Cards

5. 25x132 columns with any video card ?

6. Video capture with PCI-1407 card

7. Looking for video card for native Oberon

8. Which 3D video card to buy?

9. Video card - 3DLabs VX1

10. 3D Hardware (which Video Card is best)

11. 3D video cards for VRML - recommendation??

12. Video card for VRML acceleration?