Sound on Windows?
Author Message
 Sound on Windows?

I need to play sounds on Mac and Windows, but I don't want to assume
that Quicktime is involved.

Is it still true that the only native sound RB can play on the Mac is
sound files?

I have a windows declare for playing wave files on that platform. Is
there any other suggestion?

Thanks.

Bill Mounce
Teknia Software

--

Bill Mounce
Teknia Software

Wed, 14 Jan 2004 12:41:45 GMT
 Sound on Windows?

Quote:

> I need to play sounds on Mac and Windows, but I don't want to assume
> that Quicktime is involved.

make System7 Sound files and drop it into the project. Access them as
sound objects. RB will convert them to wave inside the .exe file.

Mfg
Christian

--
Apple Computer Inc.
Proudly going out of business since 1976.

http://www.christians-software.de (Free Mac/Win Software)

Wed, 14 Jan 2004 21:06:08 GMT
 Sound on Windows?
I had no idea RB would convert the imbeded sounds to wave. Thanks.

The only problem for my application is that it requires a tremendous
number of sound files, and they are often quite long. As I understand
it, embeded sounds must load totally into memory, and so that wouldn't
work for me.

What I really want is a plugin that will play mp3 files WITHOUT
quicktime. Anything like that out there?

Bill Mounce
Teknia Software

--

Bill Mounce
Teknia Software

Thu, 15 Jan 2004 01:16:44 GMT
 Sound on Windows?
look at

http://www.squirrelsw.com

there is an mp3-plugin, but it contains ppc code only ... are hopefool,
the author implements win32 support some day ...

Frank

Thu, 15 Jan 2004 02:20:31 GMT
 Sound on Windows?

Quote:

> The only problem for my application is that it requires a tremendous
> number of sound files, and they are often quite long. As I understand
> it, embeded sounds must load totally into memory, and so that wouldn't
> work for me.

Another way: Drop the wav files into the project. Use them by name.

Than compile your app.

Now copy from your app the snd resources to a resource file.
Drop that file into your app.
Now access the files using names on Windows and load them from resources
on Mac.

Mfg
Christian

--
"Merke: Mac-User wollen nicht die beste Bohrmaschine, sondern die
sch?nsten L?cher in der Wand."

Thu, 15 Jan 2004 02:24:25 GMT
 Sound on Windows?

Quote:

> Apple Computer Inc.
> Proudly going out of business since 1976.

Great sig!

Sat, 17 Jan 2004 05:50:31 GMT
 Sound on Windows?
I'm posting this for someone who queried me about a method to convert
Visualbasic files to REALbasic. His letter went like this:

We are converting an application from VB to RealBasic. We are able to
use the same BAS files (source code) by using some tools. Is it possible
to implement (by this I assume he means use directly) the same class
modules which (are) used in (the) VB program?

I'll check back and relay the information to him if he cannot locate
this newsgroup.
jwmpc

Sat, 17 Jan 2004 08:58:45 GMT

1. clipper dos sound to windows sound card

2. BEEP (sounds in windows?)

3. Sounds in windows

4. sound under windows

5. Sound under Windows 3.11 and wpy?

6. Piep Sound in Windows

7. sound toggle in Windows

8. Windows builds and sound

9. Sounds in projects for Windows

10. Windows Sounds

11. Program event Sounds - Windows

12. Data acquisition with Sound VIs (LV5.1, Windows NT platform)