How do I release the SoundManager (was Release SoundManager)
Author Message
 How do I release the SoundManager (was Release SoundManager)

This is a little long but I think this info is pretinent to the
question.

The info:
I've got a little RB QuickTime player that I use for auditioning audio
files before using them in Digidesign's ProTools. I'm doing this
because ProTools doesn't play anything but Sound Designer 2 files
easily. I am using the ProTools hardware to play out of the Mac with my
little player app. This is done using the outputs in the Sound Control
panel, Digi provides a driver for their hardware.

Here's the rub, the ProTools application is very greedy about the
Hardware, so if anything has a open SoundManager channel playing or
not, when you switch back to ProTools, ProTools will not re-aquire the
hardware and will quit.

The Questions:
Is there a way for me to detect when the MacOS switches back to
ProTools and close the SoundManager channel?

Alternately, can I close the SoundManager channel when my player app is
no longer frontmost?

If either of these are doable a note about how would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks

-Ezra-

remove "removethistoreply" to reply.

Fri, 22 Aug 2003 14:14:09 GMT
 How do I release the SoundManager (was Release SoundManager)

3/4/01 10:14 PM:

Quote:
> This is a little long but I think this info is pretinent to the
> question.
> [snip]
> Alternately, can I close the SoundManager channel when my player app is
> no longer frontmost?

Well, I don't know much about the sound manager, but if you know how to
release the channel already, then just stick that code in the deactivate
event of your App (create an App class of type Application, if you don't
already have one).
-- Owen
"Live simply that others may simply live" - Gandhi

Sat, 23 Aug 2003 03:42:58 GMT
 How do I release the SoundManager (was Release SoundManager)
Thanks but the information I'm looking for is how to close the channel.

Thanks

Quote:

> 3/4/01 10:14 PM:

> > This is a little long but I think this info is pretinent to the
> > question.
> > [snip]
> > Alternately, can I close the SoundManager channel when my player app is
> > no longer frontmost?

> Well, I don't know much about the sound manager, but if you know how to
> release the channel already, then just stick that code in the deactivate
> event of your App (create an App class of type Application, if you don't
> already have one).
> -- Owen
> "Live simply that others may simply live" - Gandhi

Sat, 23 Aug 2003 04:15:29 GMT

1. Release SoundManager channel

2. Visualworks 2.0 & SoundManager

3. message smalltalk & soundmanager

4. - Fall 2003 Release done

5. Tcl 7.5 and Tk 4.1 almost done: PC Binary release

6. 4tH version 3.3d, release 2 released!

7. VO Tools Release 2.050 Released to Production

8. GHC 4.08.1 released (bug-fix release)

9. New release of Linz Oberon V4 Release 2.2

10. NEW RELEASE: Linz Oberon V4, Release 2.1

11. NEW RELEASE: Oberon System 3, Release 2.2

12. NEW RELEASE: Oberon System 3, Release 2.2