Visualbasic Module conversion
Author Message
 Visualbasic Module conversion

I'm posting this for someone who queried me about a method to convert
Visualbasic files to REALbasic. His letter went like this:

We are converting an application from VB to RealBasic. We are able to
use the same BAS files (source code) by using some tools. Is it possible

to implement (by this I assume he means use directly) the same class
modules which (are) used in (the) VB program?

I'll check back and relay the information to him if he cannot locate
this newsgroup.
jwmpc

Sat, 17 Jan 2004 09:02:29 GMT
 Visualbasic Module conversion
Hi John,

I have manually converted a number of VB class modules to RB classes, and
generally found the conversion to be straightforward with some
understanding of the structure of each. Although there is an application
called VBCleaner on the RB CD which aids in syntax conversion and code
organization (I haven't used it), I'm not aware of a way to directly use or
automatically convert VB class modules to RB classes.

In an RB class, initialization code is generally placed in a constructior
as in C++ and Java. The concept of methods and properties between VB and RB
is analogous, however, RB does not directly implement Let, Get, and Set
procedures for properties. This functionality can be easily provided using
methods in RB. The internal events in a VB class module would be typically
integrated into methods or boolean properties in RB.

In general, I think your friend would find that the RB class structure is a
bit freer in form than the VB class module and provides more functionality,
which opens the door to redesign considerations.

Not a very definitive answer. Rather just some thoughts.

Jack

Quote:

> I'm posting this for someone who queried me about a method to convert
> Visualbasic files to REALbasic. His letter went like this:

> We are converting an application from VB to RealBasic. We are able to
> use the same BAS files (source code) by using some tools. Is it possible

> to implement (by this I assume he means use directly) the same class
> modules which (are) used in (the) VB program?

> I'll check back and relay the information to him if he cannot locate
> this newsgroup.
> jwmpc

Sun, 18 Jan 2004 06:29:21 GMT
 Visualbasic Module conversion
Thanks, I passed this on. I guess he'll have to use his VB modules as a
"model" for re-writing the modules in REALbasic.
Quote:

> Hi John,

> I have manually converted a number of VB class modules to RB classes, and
> generally found the conversion to be straightforward with some
> understanding of the structure of each. Although there is an application
> called VBCleaner on the RB CD which aids in syntax conversion and code
> organization (I haven't used it), I'm not aware of a way to directly use or
> automatically convert VB class modules to RB classes.

> In an RB class, initialization code is generally placed in a constructior
> as in C++ and Java. The concept of methods and properties between VB and RB
> is analogous, however, RB does not directly implement Let, Get, and Set
> procedures for properties. This functionality can be easily provided using
> methods in RB. The internal events in a VB class module would be typically
> integrated into methods or boolean properties in RB.

> In general, I think your friend would find that the RB class structure is a
> bit freer in form than the VB class module and provides more functionality,
> which opens the door to redesign considerations.

> Not a very definitive answer. Rather just some thoughts.

> Jack

> > I'm posting this for someone who queried me about a method to convert
> > Visualbasic files to REALbasic. His letter went like this:

> > We are converting an application from VB to RealBasic. We are able to
> > use the same BAS files (source code) by using some tools. Is it possible

> > to implement (by this I assume he means use directly) the same class
> > modules which (are) used in (the) VB program?

> > I'll check back and relay the information to him if he cannot locate
> > this newsgroup.
> > jwmpc

Sun, 18 Jan 2004 09:43:50 GMT
 Visualbasic Module conversion
John,
    VB and RB are different in many ways to say the least. I had done years
of VB code before moving over to the Mac. RB has a VB conversion, that's
your best bet to get started. Check the documentation, it has a walk through
of the most common problems you'll run into. Some of the code is going to
work and some isn't. Depending on how the VB code is written, you may or may
not have an easy task in front of you. Once you start using RB though,
you'll quickly see how poor the object orientation is in VB. Good luck on
your work ahead.

-Sean Rose

http://www.cycline3.com

Quote:

> Newsgroups: comp.lang.basic.realbasic
> Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 01:02:29 GMT
> Subject: Visualbasic Module conversion

> I'm posting this for someone who queried me about a method to convert
> Visualbasic files to REALbasic. His letter went like this:

> We are converting an application from VB to RealBasic. We are able to
> use the same BAS files (source code) by using some tools. Is it possible

> to implement (by this I assume he means use directly) the same class
> modules which (are) used in (the) VB program?

> I'll check back and relay the information to him if he cannot locate
> this newsgroup.
> jwmpc

Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:53:33 GMT

1. Conversion functions and returning values from extension modules.

2. Is there a Text to HTML conversion module?

3. Time Conversion Module

4. REALbasic vs. VisualBASIC

5. RealBasic to VisualBasic?

6. US-NJ: Smalltalk/VisualBasic/Java

7. Porting a VisualBasic application to the mac

8. VisualBasic equivalents?

9. Types as visualBasic?

10. What does # mean in visualbasic

11. US-NJ: Excel/VisualBasic / Smalltalk

12. Running VisualBasic and VisualWorks together