Launching programs - Help a poor unix/c programmer
Author Message
 Launching programs - Help a poor unix/c programmer

Hi!  I've been dumped with a Macintosh that a former college worked
on.  It isn't anything big, but I know jack about Macintosh
programming.  The program is just used as a launch pad for a cd of
commonly used software for students my university.  The problem I am
having is that when testing with all the files on the hard drive, the
program works flawlessly (as far as I can tell ;) ), however, when the
program is actually burned onto a cd, when I launch the program
installers (for instance, the installer for netscape), the installer
cannot run because it tries to expand itself on the cd, which is, of
course, read-only.  Do I have to create a method to copy the file
temporarily onto the harddrive, or is there some way around this?
Also, if I do need to copy the file, is there so sort of default temp
directory on the Macintosh.

Thanks in advance, and I apologize if there is an obvious solution
that is covered in a million places.  I am on a very tight schedule,
and the documentation I have just isn't cutting it.

Brian Kunst

Sun, 16 Jan 2005 05:34:00 GMT
 Launching programs - Help a poor unix/c programmer

Quote:

> Hi!  I've been dumped with a Macintosh that a former college worked
> on.  It isn't anything big, but I know jack about Macintosh
> programming.  The program is just used as a launch pad for a cd of
> commonly used software for students my university.  The problem I am
> having is that when testing with all the files on the hard drive, the
> program works flawlessly (as far as I can tell ;) ), however, when the
> program is actually burned onto a cd, when I launch the program
> installers (for instance, the installer for netscape), the installer
> cannot run because it tries to expand itself on the cd, which is, of
> course, read-only.  Do I have to create a method to copy the file
> temporarily onto the harddrive, or is there some way around this?

That depends on the installer -- I'd suggest you contact the installer
vendor.

Quote:
> Also, if I do need to copy the file, is there so sort of default temp
> directory on the Macintosh.

Yes, there's a temp folder on each volume.  I'll assume you're using
REALbasic since you're posting here; so you can just use the
TemporaryFolder function, something like this:

   installer.CopyFileTo TemporaryFolder
   installer = TemporaryFolder.Child(installer.name)

at least as a first pass.  (You should really do a bit of error
checking, e.g. make sure the file doesn't already exist before you
copy, etc.).

- Joe

Sun, 16 Jan 2005 06:01:22 GMT

1. help: how to get control after launching a C program from a Tk interface

2. help: how to regain control of a tk application after launching a long C program

3. Please help! - Launch an external program

4. Please help - launch a external program

5. Poor packer performance on Unix

6. US - FL -****UNIX/UNIXFOCUS PROGRAMMER ("C", INGRESS,UNIX OS)****CONTRACT

7. Launching a UNIX & MAC App from VW

8. Second user/instance of a program - POOR performance

9. Poor space behaviour programs

10. Poor Programming Practice?

11. Help a poor teacher!!!

12. VHDL community - let's help poor Verilog engineer