newbie question - what is realbasic - from a windows programmer 
Author Message
 newbie question - what is realbasic - from a windows programmer

what is realbasic?

is it Visual Basic but for mac?

I want to program for the mac platform.

I'm a windows programmer so don't be shy on the technicallities.

Thank you!

junior

--
alias: Srafim Junior Fagundes
Montreal, Canada
Tel: 514-521-4103
Cell: 514-972-7356



Thu, 18 Mar 2004 21:11:50 GMT  
 newbie question - what is realbasic - from a windows programmer

Quote:

> what is realbasic?

> is it visual basic but for mac?

Personally, I think it's Visual Basic done a whole lot better, for the
Mac. There are two books about it, plus lots of web sites with instruction
and examples, and you can download the software itself for a 30-day trial.
m.

--

          *** REALbasic: The Definitive Guide! ***
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596001770/somethingsbymatt
             -- The Second Edition is coming! --



Thu, 18 Mar 2004 23:37:52 GMT  
 newbie question - what is realbasic - from a windows programmer

Quote:
>what is realbasic?

>is it visual basic but for mac?

REALbasic is what Visual Basic would be if Visual Basic were a more serious
programming tool. It has the same "spirit" as Visual Basic--that is, it's an
object-oriented programming language with a tightly integrated and easy-to-use
IDE--but it is to VB what a Porsche Boxster is to a Chevy Lumina.

--
Literary forums; Onyx, a game of {*filter*} exploration; Xero, the industrial
magazine of art, fiction and photography; fine-art photo gallery--all at
http://www.*-*-*.com/



Fri, 19 Mar 2004 03:03:05 GMT  
 newbie question - what is realbasic - from a windows programmer

Quote:

>>what is realbasic?

>>is it visual basic but for mac?

>REALbasic is what Visual Basic would be if Visual Basic were a more serious
>programming tool. It has the same "spirit" as Visual Basic--that is, it's an
>object-oriented programming language with a tightly integrated and easy-to-use
>IDE--but it is to VB what a Porsche Boxster is to a Chevy Lumina.

I pretty much agree. There are some features of VB that I miss in RB, so
I'm not going to shortchange VB too much. Of course, VB has been around
for a gazillion years. A few more releases and RB will really kick some
VB butt.

To me, RB is very VB-like, but with some Java concepts thrown in. As
someone who has used both VB and Java, I was able to jump right in
without too much trouble. And you gotta love that cross-platform
capability!

 - Jeff



Fri, 19 Mar 2004 20:46:13 GMT  
 newbie question - what is realbasic - from a windows programmer

Quote:

> I pretty much agree. There are some features of VB that I miss in RB, so
> I'm not going to shortchange VB too much.

Please be sure to let us know what those are, though!  :)

Best,
- Joe

--
,------------------------------------------------------------------.
|    Joseph J. Strout         Check out the Mac Web Directory:     |

`------------------------------------------------------------------'



Sat, 20 Mar 2004 01:13:00 GMT  
 newbie question - what is realbasic - from a windows programmer

writes:

Quote:
>> I pretty much agree. There are some features of VB that I miss in RB, so
>> I'm not going to shortchange VB too much.

>Please be sure to let us know what those are, though!

Since you asked... :)

Well, the database control is more full-featured, and actually has a
visible user interface. For that matter, setting up a window (form) with
fields (textboxes) that refer to a database record is easier in VB, IMHO.
In general, the objects in VB often just have more properties to fiddle
with. But, as I said, I'm sure these things will gradually get better in
RB.

Oh, and I'm still not a fan of the standard way you have to code
functions in RB--with the declaration in a dialog box, and the code
itself in a separate, individual window.

But hey, when I have a choice, I use RB. That says something right there.

 - Jeff



Sat, 20 Mar 2004 08:26:21 GMT  
 newbie question - what is realbasic - from a windows programmer

Quote:

> Well, the database control is more full-featured, and actually has a
> visible user interface.

Like the new DataControl?  Or something else?

Quote:
> For that matter, setting up a window (form) with
> fields (textboxes) that refer to a database record is easier in VB, IMHO.

But from your above comment, I wonder if you haven't yet explored the
DataControl -- it was created to fill this need.

Quote:
> Oh, and I'm still not a fan of the standard way you have to code
> functions in RB--with the declaration in a dialog box, and the code
> itself in a separate, individual window.

Hmm... is it because the declaration is in a modal dialog?  I.e., would
you like it better if it were done right there in the code editor
window somehow?

Quote:
> But hey, when I have a choice, I use RB. That says something right there.

Sure.  We just like to get constructive suggestions, and saw a good
opportunity!

Thanks,
- Joe

--
,------------------------------------------------------------------.
|    Joseph J. Strout         Check out the Mac Web Directory:     |

`------------------------------------------------------------------'



Sat, 20 Mar 2004 10:28:28 GMT  
 
 [ 7 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Newbie Question: Realbasic Question

2. REALBasic newbie question: structs and pointers?

3. Newbie RealBasic Questions

4. RealBasic Newbie Questions

5. newbie REALbasic question (random numbers)

6. Subject: Re: Newbie question (was Re: I am new)

7. Simple Newbie Question: What am I doing wrong?

8. Several newbie questions from OpenGL programmer

9. C programmer with Newbie question

10. Windows EXE targeters List! (REALBasic for Windows)

11. newbie rexx programmer asks silly questions

12. C programmer with Newbie question

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software