RB apps slow?
Author Message
 RB apps slow?

I have PowerMac 7600 (133MHz) with MacOs 9.1
and i've made simple calculator with
REALBasic 3.1 demo.

But my calculator(built) works very slowly?
Is it because I'm using demo version or
is it because of my computer?

Thanks

Wed, 22 Oct 2003 06:22:27 GMT
 RB apps slow?

Quote:

> I have PowerMac 7600 (133MHz) with MacOs 9.1
> and i've made simple calculator with
> REALBasic 3.1 demo.

> But my calculator(built) works very slowly?
> Is it because I'm using demo version or
> is it because of my computer?

It's not because you're using a demo version.  It could be because your
computer is slow, but the RB app shouldn't be any slower than a similar
app made in any other language.  It could be because you're doing
something wrong in your code, and (for example) refreshing more than
you need to.

Cheers,
- Joe

Wed, 22 Oct 2003 06:24:57 GMT
 RB apps slow?

Quote:

> But my calculator(built) works very slowly?
> is it because of my computer?

Check your application:

1. enough memory? 1024 KB may not be enough. Try 2048 or 4096 KB.
2. PPC compiled? 68k is a little bit slower.
3. Check your code if things are done more often than needed.

Mfg
Christian

--
Beruehmte Irrtuemer (07):
Beim neuen Office ist das behoben.

Wed, 22 Oct 2003 06:34:16 GMT
 RB apps slow?
Jukka Leino wrote (05.05.2001 00:22 ):

Quote:
> I have PowerMac 7600 (133MHz) with MacOs 9.1
> and i've made simple calculator with
> REALBasic 3.1 demo.

> But my calculator(built) works very slowly?
> Is it because I'm using demo version or
> is it because of my computer?

> Thanks

I built the Tutorial editor and ran it on a PowerBook 150 (33 MHz). Clicking
"Select All", you can see some cursor running through all of the text before
it actually gets selected. Sure, it s a slow and old computer. But other
editors run a lot more smoothly on that same machine.

I would think that the architecture of a RB program would automatically
makes it slower and that is the price you have to pay for not programming
every window box mouseclickevent a.s.o. But I dont know really.

I guess a Delphi program is bound to be slower than a TP program as well?

--
Claus Rogge

Listen to my music!
http://www.mp3.com/ClausRogge

Wed, 22 Oct 2003 14:52:42 GMT
 RB apps slow?
I've built and run a calc app on a 180MHz box and it ran like the wind.
I've also written much more complex apps with reports from PM 5200 users who
claim the software runs just as quick as other apps do.

Check your code and make sure you're not making things longer than you have
to.

Cheers;
Seth

Quote:
> I have PowerMac 7600 (133MHz) with MacOs 9.1
> and i've made simple calculator with
> REALBasic 3.1 demo.

> But my calculator(built) works very slowly?
> Is it because I'm using demo version or
> is it because of my computer?

> Thanks

Sat, 25 Oct 2003 02:40:20 GMT
 RB apps slow?

Quote:

>> I have PowerMac 7600 (133MHz) with MacOs 9.1 and i've made simple
>> calculator with REALBasic 3.1 demo.
>> But my calculator(built) works very slowly? Is it because I'm using
>> demo version or is it because of my computer?

RB apps are not slow. Especially if you know what you are doing.

If you don't know what you are doing, you will ask your computer to do
things in a very inefficient way.

For example you might have code that instead of putting a result of a
calculation needed in a long loop, into an integer variable, the code
calculates this every single time it is needed in the loop, even
getting the source parameters from editfields!

Sounds really stupid, but I have seen this kind of code around so
often. You end up with slower code, and larger code.

Try reading www.elfdata.com/programmer (then click on "tips") to find a
lot of information on how to make your RB code fast.

--
Email Cleaner does convenient re-wrapping on badly wrapped emails and
newsgroup-posts. Badly wrapped lines is a problem every Internet User

Email Cleaner works from inside all of your Mac programs, from one
button click.

<www.elfdata.com/emailcleaner/>

Sun, 26 Oct 2003 05:42:48 GMT
 RB apps slow?

Quote:

> I built the Tutorial editor and ran it on a PowerBook 150 (33 MHz). Clicking
> "Select All", you can see some cursor running through all of the text before
> it actually gets selected. Sure, it s a slow and old computer. But other
> editors run a lot more smoothly on that same machine.

Yes, that is most likely a bug in the EditField class.

Quote:
> I would think that the architecture of a RB program would automatically
> makes it slower and that is the price you have to pay for not programming
> every window box mouseclickevent a.s.o. But I dont know really.

No.  Let's take the example you mention above.  The bug (or
inefficiency) here is in the EditField class, which is written in pure
C++, at the "nuts and bolts" level.  The fact that you're controlling
this field from RB has nothing to do with its speed or efficiency.
There's a bug, that's all; report it with REALbugs and we'll fix it as
soon as we can.

Cheers,
- Joe

Wed, 29 Oct 2003 00:05:14 GMT
 RB apps slow?
Joe Strout wrote (11.05.2001 18:05 ):

Quote:
> that is most likely a bug in the EditField class.

I deleted the "SetPlainStyleText"-thing and it runs at normal speed now.
Seems this checking each character for all the possible styles (bold, italic
etc) slowed things down

Quote:
> The fact that you're controlling
> this field from RB has nothing to do with its speed or efficiency.

OK. I did think I was wrong in this.

--
Claus Rogge

Listen to my music!
http://www.mp3.com/ClausRogge

Wed, 29 Oct 2003 06:16:11 GMT

1. launching an RB app from another RB app - appleevents

2. Slow running built RB apps on G3/400 system

3. RB slow performance under OS X

4. RB 3.51 is slow in OS X 10.1

5. Localization (multi-language) apps with RB 3.5

6. Weird problem running two RB apps simultaneously in Win32

7. scripting windows app from rb

8. Making your RB apps Scriptable

9. RB App Type 1.0

10. RB background app

11. RB App Typer 1.1

12. Start running an uncompiled AppleScript by RB app