Problem printing in PDF format.
Author Message
 Problem printing in PDF format.

I would like to use the new function of OSX to print as PDF file in my RB
3.2 Application.
But, even if I use GrayScale printing and I try to reduce the "weight" of
printing, I continue to get PDF files
of more tha 10 Mbytes. I need to do this to port my printings from Mac to PC
for work.

I'm simply printing from a simple Listbox!!!
I cannot understand.

Any help is welcome.
Thank you.
Stefano
ARTOS S.r.l.
Via Filatoio, 3
10066 Torre Pellice (Torino) ITALY
tel. +39 0121 91393
Fax. +39 0121 953521

Mon, 01 Dec 2003 03:28:50 GMT
 Problem printing in PDF format.

Quote:

> I would like to use the new function of OSX to print as PDF file in my RB
> 3.2 Application.
> But, even if I use GrayScale printing and I try to reduce the "weight" of
> printing, I continue to get PDF files
> of more tha 10 Mbytes. I need to do this to port my printings from Mac to PC
> for work.

> I'm simply printing from a simple Listbox!!!
> I cannot understand.

The PDF files generated by direct printing in OS X are not intended to
be high-quality files of the sort generated by Acrobat.  Rather,
they're just quick and dirty dumps of the pages, intended for
previewing or printing, not for passing around or publishing.

HTH,
- Joe

Mon, 01 Dec 2003 05:07:13 GMT
 Problem printing in PDF format.
But what I say is the opposite.
I need a simple file pdf without any quality, but I cannot get it.
I would like to obtain 100, 200K files not megas.
I don't understand why Mac OSX gives me such enourmous files from few data.

Stefano

ARTOS S.r.l.
Via Filatoio, 3
10066 Torre Pellice (Torino) ITALY
tel. +39 0121 91393
Fax. +39 0121 953521

Quote:

> > I would like to use the new function of OSX to print as PDF file in my
RB
> > 3.2 Application.
> > But, even if I use GrayScale printing and I try to reduce the "weight"
of
> > printing, I continue to get PDF files
> > of more tha 10 Mbytes. I need to do this to port my printings from Mac
to PC
> > for work.

> > I'm simply printing from a simple Listbox!!!
> > I cannot understand.

> The PDF files generated by direct printing in OS X are not intended to
> be high-quality files of the sort generated by Acrobat.  Rather,
> they're just quick and dirty dumps of the pages, intended for
> previewing or printing, not for passing around or publishing.

> HTH,
> - Joe

> --
> ,------------------------------------------------------------------.
> |    Joseph J. Strout         Check out the Mac Web Directory:     |

> `------------------------------------------------------------------'

Mon, 01 Dec 2003 15:05:38 GMT
 Problem printing in PDF format.

Quote:

> But what I say is the opposite.

No, it's not...

Quote:
> I need a simple file pdf without any quality, but I cannot get it.
> I would like to obtain 100, 200K files not megas.

That's what you can't get.  A simple PDF file is huge; this is what OS
X gives you.  You want an *efficient* PDF file, or some sort of
reduced-resolution one, but Apple doesn't provide any options.

Quote:
> I don't understand why Mac OSX gives me such enourmous files from few data.

Because their PDF generator was designed for previewing or direct
printing, not for passing around.  Unfortunate but true.

However, it's possible that you could get smaller files by tweaking the
options in the PrinterSetup class.  Also make sure you're not using
DrawPicture any more than you can help it; instead, use DrawString,
DrawLine, etc. directly on the printer Graphics object.

HTH,
- Joe

Mon, 01 Dec 2003 23:13:15 GMT
 Problem printing in PDF format.
Thanks Joe, I will try it.
Stefano

ARTOS S.r.l.
Via Filatoio, 3
10066 Torre Pellice (Torino) ITALY
tel. +39 0121 91393
Fax. +39 0121 953521

Quote:

> > But what I say is the opposite.

> No, it's not...

> > I need a simple file pdf without any quality, but I cannot get it.
> > I would like to obtain 100, 200K files not megas.

> That's what you can't get.  A simple PDF file is huge; this is what OS
> X gives you.  You want an *efficient* PDF file, or some sort of
> reduced-resolution one, but Apple doesn't provide any options.

> > I don't understand why Mac OSX gives me such enourmous files from few
data.

> Because their PDF generator was designed for previewing or direct
> printing, not for passing around.  Unfortunate but true.

> However, it's possible that you could get smaller files by tweaking the
> options in the PrinterSetup class.  Also make sure you're not using
> DrawPicture any more than you can help it; instead, use DrawString,
> DrawLine, etc. directly on the printer Graphics object.

> HTH,
> - Joe

> --
> ,------------------------------------------------------------------.
> |    Joseph J. Strout         Check out the Mac Web Directory:     |

> `------------------------------------------------------------------'

Tue, 02 Dec 2003 05:37:33 GMT
 Problem printing in PDF format.
Print2PICT is a good utility (workss like a printer driver) for that,
assuming whoever you want the file to go to is able to read and print
PICT files...  :-/

Quote:

--
01000011 01001111 01001101 01001101 01001111 01000100 01001111 01010010 01000101
   Larry Anderson - Sysop of Silicon Realms BBS  (209) 754-1363

Wed, 03 Dec 2003 10:57:33 GMT

1. problem with printing oblong format

2. Problem with printing Negative numbers in hexadecimal format.

3. Problem with format printing

4. Print formatting - same line printing?

5. P of Ops in PDF format

6. CAP manual in PDF format

7. PDF Format

8. Stack Computers book in .pdf format

9. Export of data from LabView to PDF file format

10. VA PL/I for OS/390 - Free Manuals in PDF Format

11. IBM rexx documentation only PDF format

12. Ruby documentation in pdf-format