Memory Leaks 
Author Message
 Memory Leaks

It seems to me, through some very unstructured testing, that Carbon compiled
RB Applications leak memory quite a bit. With PPC compiles, however, the
leak problem seems minor to non-existent.

When the Carbon app's are running under OS X, this doesn't really seem to be
a problem due to OS X's memory-handling, but when running the Carbon app's
on Classic, look-out. I've tried releasing instances that I no longer need
by declaring them as nil, but I believe the memory leak is happening from
REALbasic--not careless coding.

Anyone else noticed this?

Matheau Dakoske

--

Code Line Communications
http://www.*-*-*.com/



Wed, 22 Sep 2004 05:49:08 GMT  
 Memory Leaks

Quote:

> It seems to me, through some very unstructured testing, that Carbon compiled
> RB Applications leak memory quite a bit. With PPC compiles, however, the
> leak problem seems minor to non-existent.

> When the Carbon app's are running under OS X, this doesn't really seem to be
> a problem due to OS X's memory-handling, but when running the Carbon app's
> on Classic, look-out. I've tried releasing instances that I no longer need
> by declaring them as nil, but I believe the memory leak is happening from
> REALbasic--not careless coding.

> Anyone else noticed this?

I found a memory leak involving sprite surfaces a while back, but it has
apparently been fixed for the next REALbasic update.  The next *paid* update,
unfortunately...

--
Greg Gillis

Visit "The Armadillo Games Home Page"
http://members.rogers.com/armadillogames

Home of "Bob's Bricks", "Fawn", and numerous armadillii...



Wed, 22 Sep 2004 07:58:21 GMT  
 Memory Leaks
You should always build a PPC version of your app instead of a carbon
version that runs on both. There are memory leaks in the CarbonLib in OS 9.
It effects all carbon apps in OS 9. Apple keeps getting it better with every
CarbonLib update, but it isn't perfect. Updating to the latest carbonlib
will also help.


Quote:


>> It seems to me, through some very unstructured testing, that Carbon compiled
>> RB Applications leak memory quite a bit. With PPC compiles, however, the
>> leak problem seems minor to non-existent.

>> When the Carbon app's are running under OS X, this doesn't really seem to be
>> a problem due to OS X's memory-handling, but when running the Carbon app's
>> on Classic, look-out. I've tried releasing instances that I no longer need
>> by declaring them as nil, but I believe the memory leak is happening from
>> REALbasic--not careless coding.

>> Anyone else noticed this?

> I found a memory leak involving sprite surfaces a while back, but it has
> apparently been fixed for the next REALbasic update.  The next *paid* update,
> unfortunately...

> --
> Greg Gillis

> Visit "The Armadillo Games Home Page"
> http://members.rogers.com/armadillogames

> Home of "Bob's Bricks", "Fawn", and numerous armadillii...



Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:48:59 GMT  
 Memory Leaks

Quote:

> You should always build a PPC version of your app instead of a carbon
> version that runs on both. There are memory leaks in the CarbonLib in OS 9.
> It effects all carbon apps in OS 9. Apple keeps getting it better with every
> CarbonLib update, but it isn't perfect. Updating to the latest carbonlib
> will also help.

Thanks for the response. That's kina' what I was figuring. I'm retrofitting
some of my updates so that they'll compile for both Classic and Carbon (as I
was doing before). I fear, however, that Carbon API's have begun to add
features that have no (and more-than-likely will never have)
Classic-counterparts. That will make it increasingly difficult to
release/support Classic applications that are in-step with their Carbon
versions.

Matheau Dakoske

--
Code Line Communications
http://www.code-line.com/software



Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:11:49 GMT  
 
 [ 4 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. memory leak and leak-fixing 'patterns'

2. python startup memory size and memory leak

3. Uninitialized memory errors and memory leaks in Tk

4. memory usage (how to debug a memory leak?)

5. Possible Dolphi R4 memory leak using ODBC

6. GETDSAB and memory leaks

7. How to pinpoint memory leaks

8. TopLink errors and memory leaks

9. memory leak in gawk 3.1.0 ?

10. ENFIN Memory Leak

11. Memory Leaks in OS X?

12. Memory Leaks on OS X

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software