RB 3.51 is slow in OS X 10.1
Author Message
 RB 3.51 is slow in OS X 10.1

I'm on a G4 400 with 448 megs of ram running 10.1.  When I was running
10.0x and RB 3.5 typing text and moving things around within RB was pretty
smooth.  Lately though, the cursor can't keep up with my typing, I'm going
about 60-70 wpm which isn't unreasonable.  Moving stuff, cut, copy, paste,
everything moves like a hedgehog in a mud pit.  Anybody else experience
this slow down?  I'm only running IE, BBEdit, Fire, a news client, a IRC
client, and 3 terminal windows besides RB.

Sun, 04 Apr 2004 00:48:11 GMT
 RB 3.51 is slow in OS X 10.1

Quote:

> I'm on a G4 400 with 448 megs of ram running 10.1.  When I was running
> 10.0x and RB 3.5 typing text and moving things around within RB was pretty
> smooth.  Lately though, the cursor can't keep up with my typing, I'm going
> about 60-70 wpm which isn't unreasonable.  Moving stuff, cut, copy, paste,
> everything moves like a hedgehog in a mud pit.  Anybody else experience
> this slow down?

Yes. Hitting the Delete key is a particular problem. What's happening here
is apparently that every time you hit the Delete key, RB redraws the
**entire** code window. (Whereas, when you type a letter, RB simply
redraws that one line.) You can use Quartz Debug to see that this is the
problem. m.

--

  *** REALbasic: The Definitive Guide! The Second Edition! ***
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596001770/somethingsbymatt

Sun, 04 Apr 2004 01:49:04 GMT

1. RB 3.51 and OS X 10.1

2. Shared Libs under OS 10.1

3. Compiling 2.1.1 on Mac OS X 10.1 - test failures

4. Ruby for Mac OS 10.1

5. running Python remotely w/ Mac OS X 10.1

6. Keyboard object under OS 10.1

7. VW 5i.4 and Mac OS X 10.1

8. Sprite Surface and OS 10.1

9. Delay() Toolbox Call doesn't work on OS X 10.1

10. RB slow performance under OS X

11. Building Ruby on MacOS 10.1

12. Issue from IVF 9.0 to IVF 10.1