Slow running built RB apps on G3/400 system
Author Message
 Slow running built RB apps on G3/400 system

I received a feedback from a user of one of my apps (built using Rb 3.1)
and he claims that it's taking over 3 mins for the app to start and about
half a mins for the app to quit.

he's using a G3/400 machine, I don't know the OS version, but does anyone
know or has anyone heard about built RB apps running slow on G3's?  He
claims it's some sort of extention conflict because with VM off and
minimal extentions the app runs perfect and speedy (like it should).

Thu, 04 Sep 2003 02:51:56 GMT
 Slow running built RB apps on G3/400 system

Quote:

> he's using a G3/400 machine, I don't know the OS version, but does anyone
> know or has anyone heard about built RB apps running slow on G3's?  He
> claims it's some sort of extention conflict because with VM off and
> minimal extentions the app runs perfect and speedy (like it should).

Virtual memory...

Yeah. It's probably the VM.

I'm using a 60mhz performa (PPC) and before I was using MacOS 8.5 with
half my memory as VM. It took 10 minutes alone to load a simple image
based web page. (And I have a cable connection)
I downgraded my OS, and turned VM off, and that same page that took 10
minutes with VM on took less than a minute with it off.

The point? If you use VM, dont use alot of it.
I reccomend setting it to 1MB above your real ram. This way, you will
benifit from the smaller memory sizes to open apps that VM gives, and it
wont go slow.

It could be RB though. I'm still using 2.1.2, so I wouldn't know how good
the new one runs.

--
-sonicblur

/----------------------------\
| Visit Sonic Metropolis at: |
|  http://metrosonic.8m.com/ |
| A new site will be coming  |
|        this summer.        |
\----------------------------/

"He's not gonna get away with this!" - Eggman

Thu, 04 Sep 2003 10:14:02 GMT
 Slow running built RB apps on G3/400 system

Quote:

>> he's using a G3/400 machine, I don't know the OS version, but does anyone
>> know or has anyone heard about built RB apps running slow on G3's?  He
>> claims it's some sort of extention conflict because with VM off and
>> minimal extentions the app runs perfect and speedy (like it should).

> Virtual memory...

> Yeah. It's probably the VM.

> I'm using a 60mhz performa (PPC) and before I was using MacOS 8.5 with
> half my memory as VM. It took 10 minutes alone to load a simple image
> based web page. (And I have a cable connection)
> I downgraded my OS, and turned VM off, and that same page that took 10
> minutes with VM on took less than a minute with it off.

> The point? If you use VM, dont use alot of it.
> I reccomend setting it to 1MB above your real ram. This way, you will
> benifit from the smaller memory sizes to open apps that VM gives, and it
> wont go slow.

> It could be RB though. I'm still using 2.1.2, so I wouldn't know how good
> the new one runs.

You could be right...thankx for the info.

Fri, 05 Sep 2003 04:46:09 GMT
 Slow running built RB apps on G3/400 system

Quote:

>> Virtual memory...

>> Yeah. It's probably the VM.

>> I'm using a 60mhz performa (PPC) and before I was using MacOS 8.5 with
>> half my memory as VM. It took 10 minutes alone to load a simple image
>> based web page. (And I have a cable connection)
>> I downgraded my OS, and turned VM off, and that same page that took 10
>> minutes with VM on took less than a minute with it off.

>> The point? If you use VM, dont use alot of it.
>> I reccomend setting it to 1MB above your real ram. This way, you will
>> benifit from the smaller memory sizes to open apps that VM gives, and it
>> wont go slow.

>> It could be RB though. I'm still using 2.1.2, so I wouldn't know how good
>> the new one runs.

> You could be right...thankx for the info.

Nope...it's not the Virtual memory...he wrote back to me and said On or
Off/High or Low it makes no difference....so we must have an extention
conflict here.

He did supply me with a list of all the extentions and control panals he has
running.  If anyone out there know of any one of these extentions or control
panals not playing nice with built RB apps can you let me know thankx.

EXTENSIONS ACTIVE

Application Switcher

Kensington Startup

Time Synchronizer

G3/G4 Profiler INIT 1.4b1

Adaptec SCSI Card 2906 Driver

CD-ROM ToolKit  Extension

EM Extension

A Better Finder Rename

ABFR Blank Droplet

ActiveX Controls

Adobe Printing Library

AdobePS

Apple Guide

AppleScript

Caere Libraries

CarbonLib

Cleaner QT Export

Color Picker

ColorSync Extension

Contextual Menu Extension

Default Calibrator

Find

FontSync Extension

Foreign File Access

formac ProFormance III 3D

Global Guide Files

Heidelberg CMM

High Sierra File Access

HTMLRenderingLib

icccodes

Indeo? Video

Intel Raw Video

Internet Access

Internet Config Extension

Iomega Driver

ISO 9660 File Access

kdsinput

kdsout

kdssys

Kensington Startup ADB

Location Manager Modules

Macromedia

MacromediaRuntimeLib

Microsoft Clipboard Library

Microsoft Component Library

Microsoft Internet Library

Microsoft OLE Automation

Microsoft OLE Library

Microsoft Structured Storage

Microtek Folder

MindVision

Modem Scripts

MRJ Libraries

MS Font Embed Library (PPC)

MS Library Folder

Multi-User Startup

Multiprocessing

Navigation

Norton AntiVirus Additions

Norton Shared Lib

NSL UI Library

Open Transport

Open Transport ASLM Modules

OpenGLEngine

OpenGLLibrary

OpenGLMemory

OpenGLRenderer

OpenGLRendererATI

OpenGLRendererFormac

OpenGLUtility

OpenTpt Remote Access

OpenTpt Serial Arbitrator

PCDSharedLib

pfpick

Printer Descriptions

Printing Plug-ins

PrintingLib

QuicKeys Multi-User Prep

QuickTime Extensions

QuickTime

QuickTime  PowerPlug

Real

Remote Only

Security Cert Module

Security Library

Security Manager

Security Policy Module

Security Storage Module

Serial (Built-in)

SerialShimLib

Shared Library Manager

Shared Library Manager PPC

SOMobjects  for Mac OS

StuffIt Engine

System Monitor Plugins

Text Encoding Converter

Toast CD Reader

TWAIN Data Sources

Type 1 Scaler

Type Libraries

URL Access

Voices

Voxware Sound Component v1.5

WinSock Lib

~rnsetup

CONTROL PANELS ACTIVE

G3/G4 Cache Profiler 1.4b1

ProGraphics 5.9.5

Adobe Gamma

Appearance

Apple Menu Options

AppleTalk

CD-ROM Toolkit

ColorSync

Date & Time

Default App

DialAssist

Extensions Manager

EZNote

File Exchange

File Sharing

FinderPop

Internet

Internet Config

Kensington MouseWorks

MacLinkPlus Deluxe

Memory

Modem

Monitors

Multiple Users

QuicKeys

Remote Access

Startup Disk

TCP/IP

TypeIt4Me

WebFree

~ATM

Fri, 05 Sep 2003 07:23:12 GMT

1. launching an RB app from another RB app - appleevents

2. RB apps slow?

3. AS/400, RPG/400, COBOL, CL/400

4. Dialing the PowerBook G3's internal modem from within a RB program

5. Building a Windows installer for an RB app

6. RB Built app error under Win

7. RB apps built under 10.1.5 crash...

8. RB apps built under 10.1.5 crash under 10.2

9. 5.1 built apps much slower than 4.5 ones

10. Q:problem running fat application built in RB

11. Weird problem running two RB apps simultaneously in Win32

12. Start running an uncompiled AppleScript by RB app