New features in RB 2.0?
Author Message
 New features in RB 2.0?

Hi all,

I remember from when I used to subscribe to the RB mailing list (about six
months back, before the volume overwhelmed me!) that there were a number
of new features supposed to be included in the then "up and coming" RB
2.0.

I've now purchased 2.0 (pro) and wondered whether any had actually made it
to implementation?

The two I'm mainly interested in are (a) passing/returning arrays to/from
methods, and (b) selective compilation, so that an app without any windows
doesn't include the window handling code (making the application smaller).

Even a simple, "no, they weren't included" would be helpful, as I won't
then continue trawling the manuals for clues!

Cheers,

Tim.

--
'Welcome to the banquet of life' said a recent Pope, forgetting that
most have to fight their way to the table.

Sun, 09 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 New features in RB 2.0?
Tim,

(a) I'm not sure, I think so.
(b) Yes, selective compilation is included, at any rate for code that you
want to exclude/include specifically for Mac or Windows. You might want to
check the documentation on specifics.

Floris

Quote:

> Hi all,

> I remember from when I used to subscribe to the RB mailing list (about six
> months back, before the volume overwhelmed me!) that there were a number
> of new features supposed to be included in the then "up and coming" RB
> 2.0.

> I've now purchased 2.0 (pro) and wondered whether any had actually made it
> to implementation?

> The two I'm mainly interested in are (a) passing/returning arrays to/from
> methods, and (b) selective compilation, so that an app without any windows
> doesn't include the window handling code (making the application smaller).

> Even a simple, "no, they weren't included" would be helpful, as I won't
> then continue trawling the manuals for clues!

> Cheers,

> Tim.

> --
> 'Welcome to the banquet of life' said a recent Pope, forgetting that
> most have to fight their way to the table.

Sun, 09 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 New features in RB 2.0?

Quote:

>> The two I'm mainly interested in are (a) passing/returning arrays to/from
>> methods, and (b) selective compilation, so that an app without any windows
>> doesn't include the window handling code (making the application smaller).
>Tim,
>(a) I'm not sure, I think so.

Cool... I don't suppose anyone has any idea how it's implemented? RB docs
are great for some stuff, but there are _loads_ of little clever bits that
you never find out about unless someone tells you how. :(

Quote:
>(b) Yes, selective compilation is included, at any rate for code that you
>want to exclude/include specifically for Mac or Windows. You might want to
>check the documentation on specifics.

I knew about this, but didn't quite mean that. RB 1.0 includes a load of
code into every app it builds, such as code for window handling, code for
displaying progress bars, and so on. RB 2.0 was supposed to be more
intelligent, so that an application that didn't have any windows (for
example) wouldn't have the window handling code included. Anyone got any
ideas?

Quote:
>Floris

Cheers,

Tim.

--
'Welcome to the banquet of life' said a recent Pope, forgetting that
most have to fight their way to the table.

Sun, 09 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 New features in RB 2.0?
Tim,

Check the online Reference: select by theme, go to OS, expand and choose
#If ...#Else ... #Endif Statement.

This makes for some interesting conditional compilation reading material

Floris

Quote:
> Cool... I don't suppose anyone has any idea how it's implemented? RB docs
> are great for some stuff, but there are _loads_ of little clever bits that
> you never find out about unless someone tells you how. :(

> >(b) Yes, selective compilation is included, at any rate for code that you
> >want to exclude/include specifically for Mac or Windows. You might want to
> >check the documentation on specifics.

> I knew about this, but didn't quite mean that. RB 1.0 includes a load of
> code into every app it builds, such as code for window handling, code for
> displaying progress bars, and so on. RB 2.0 was supposed to be more
> intelligent, so that an application that didn't have any windows (for
> example) wouldn't have the window handling code included. Anyone got any
> ideas?

> >Floris

> Cheers,

> Tim.

> --
> 'Welcome to the banquet of life' said a recent Pope, forgetting that
> most have to fight their way to the table.

Sun, 09 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Allegro CL/PC version 2.0 -- New Features

2. YAML.rb 0.49 -- new spec, new tokenizer

3. Dalby Source Printer for CW: New version with bugfixes and new features

4. Dalby Source Printer for CW: New version with bugfixes and new features

5. Intel Secrets -- new web site, dozens of new features

6. AEGizmo plugin works only with RB 2.0?

7. Re : TabPanel control in RB 2.0

8. RB 2.0 quits with error code 3.

9. Passing and returning arrays in RB 2.0

10. RB 2.0 Threads on Windows NT

11. Sounds in RB 2.0

12. REALbasic 2.0 Feature Request