More RBScript (I think...) problems
Author Message
 More RBScript (I think...) problems

Greetings,

Well, I've spent almost two full days rewriting my code and my script to
account for RBScript's inability to support array properties (under many
circumstances).  I thought I was on the home stretch, but now I'm getting
this:

failed assertion:
NameMangler.cpp line 121

when I call the script's run method, followed by RB crashing to the
Finder.  :(  Any ideas?  I'm getting rather desperate here.

I have been working on this client-server multiplayer game (contract job)
for the past 7 months, and was about to give up on the idea of developing
a robust scripting system when I came across a thread in this newsgroup
touting that RBScript was "a full-featured script system that's compiled
on the fly instead of interpreted" (the thread is "Considering getting
RealBasic, need advice." from Jan. 2003), which was specifically directed
at someone in a game development situation.  I was SO e{*filter*}d, but my
impression after a week of working with it is that RBScript is a rather
young work in progress, unlike its quite mature cousin RealBasic.  Am I
right about this?

And I guess I'll ask again (on the off chance) - does anyone know how well
the RB Lua plugin works?

Thanks for any help,
Shannon

Mon, 08 Aug 2005 13:52:14 GMT
 More RBScript (I think...) problems

Quote:

> failed assertion:
> NameMangler.cpp line 121

> when I call the script's run method, followed by RB crashing to the
> Finder.  :(  Any ideas?  I'm getting rather desperate here.

Well, you've found a bug in RBScript.  Please report it with steps to
reproduce it, so we can fix it.

Quote:
> impression after a week of working with it is that RBScript is a rather
> young work in progress, unlike its quite mature cousin RealBasic.  Am I
> right about this?

No; in fact RBScript is the foundation of the new RB compiler in 5.0.

Cheers,
- Joe

Tue, 09 Aug 2005 00:18:14 GMT
 More RBScript (I think...) problems

Quote:

> circumstances).  I thought I was on the home stretch, but now I'm getting
> this:

> failed assertion:
> NameMangler.cpp line 121

> when I call the script's run method, followed by RB crashing to the
> Finder.  :(  Any ideas?  I'm getting rather desperate here.

Thanks Joe for the reply.  I can't submit a bug report yet because I'm not
sure exactly how to reproduce the error consistently.  I've done some more
testing and discovered a few things.  First, the error definitely occurs
when calling the run method.  Second, it only occurs in the IDE, not in
the built application.  Third, it doesn't appear to be related to the
script source, because when I substitute a very trivial script instead I
get the same error.  Fourth, it only seems to happen in this one
particular project.  Fifth, I have changed nothing in the project's code
since I started debugging the script, which is why I thought it was the
script causing the problem at first.  I also had my first ever crash on
startup with OS X yesterday, which Disk Utility fixed.  This makes me
wonder if in fact the project itself is corrupted.  :(

Shannon

Tue, 09 Aug 2005 05:37:27 GMT
 More RBScript (I think...) problems

Quote:

>I'm getting this:

> failed assertion:
> NameMangler.cpp line 121

> when I call the script's run method, followed by RB crashing to the
> Finder.

Per open reports on Real Software's feedback site I am not the only one
having this problem.  I went ahead and added my report to the pot.
Unfortunately if it isn't fixed very soon I'll probably have to s{*filter*}this
project in RB and use another development environment, which really bums
me out because I just bought a subscription renewal.

Shannon

Tue, 09 Aug 2005 08:35:53 GMT

1. Problem Installing PIL (module search path problem I think)

2. To think or not to think ;-)

3. Thinking about thinking

4. Thinking about thinking

5. Thinking about thinking