PICTs in Imagewells in Win32 requires Quicktime?
Author Message
 PICTs in Imagewells in Win32 requires Quicktime?

I've been using the following code to load a PICT file into an imagewell:

MainWindow.PICTImageWell.image = PICTFolderItem.openAsPicture

This works fine on the Macintosh, but it needs Quicktime to work on Win32 ie.
without Quicktime installed, the imagewell just stays blank. Is there some way
to fix this so Quicktime isn't needed?

My previous understanding was that RB used PICTs as it's native graphics file
format. I wanted to avoid dependencies on installed plugins, such as Quicktime,
in my code. PICTs embedded in the application seem to work fine (maybe they are
converted to BMP during compilation).

Any suggestions about how to remove such Quicktime dependencies in
cross-platform compiles?

Best Regards,

Michael Wildoer
Lava Software Pty. Ltd.

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 01 Feb 2004 15:31:33 GMT
 PICTs in Imagewells in Win32 requires Quicktime?

Quote:
>My previous understanding was that RB used PICTs as it's native graphics
>file format. I wanted to avoid dependencies on installed plugins, such as
Quicktime,
>in my code. PICTs embedded in the application seem to work fine (maybe they
>are converted to BMP during compilation).

Yep, they are.

Quote:
>Any suggestions about how to remove such Quicktime dependencies in
>cross-platform compiles?

Use BMP for your PC application.

On the Mac, QuickTime 3 or greater is needed to use openAsPicture on a BMP. On
Windows, QuickTime is needed to use openAsPicture on a PICT.

--
Literary forums; Onyx, a game of {*filter*} exploration; Xero, the industrial
magazine of art, fiction and photography; fine-art photo gallery--all at

Mon, 02 Feb 2004 02:06:37 GMT
 PICTs in Imagewells in Win32 requires Quicktime?
as you say, converting the images to BMP format is probably the best way to
make your app truly cross platform. Macs will inevitably have quicktime so
they can read windows BMPs fine.

try GraphicConverter (www.lemkesoft.de) if you haven't got it already...

Quote:

> Newsgroups: comp.lang.basic.realbasic
> Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 07:31:33 GMT
> Subject: PICTs in Imagewells in Win32 requires Quicktime?

> I've been using the following code to load a PICT file into an imagewell:

> MainWindow.PICTImageWell.image = PICTFolderItem.openAsPicture

> This works fine on the Macintosh, but it needs Quicktime to work on Win32 ie.
> without Quicktime installed, the imagewell just stays blank. Is there some way
> to fix this so Quicktime isn't needed?

> My previous understanding was that RB used PICTs as it's native graphics file
> format. I wanted to avoid dependencies on installed plugins, such as
> Quicktime,
> in my code. PICTs embedded in the application seem to work fine (maybe they
> are
> converted to BMP during compilation).

> Any suggestions about how to remove such Quicktime dependencies in
> cross-platform compiles?

> Best Regards,

> Michael Wildoer
> Lava Software Pty. Ltd.

> http://www.lavasoft.com

Sat, 07 Feb 2004 04:07:57 GMT

1. Object PICTs and WIN32

2. quicktime on win32

3. Ruby/Fltk/SQLite GPL workbench testers required win32/linux

5. Imagewell or Canvas

6. ImageWells and Pictures

7. ImageWells

8. Imagewell clicks to web browser?

9. require, require-library in PLT-scheme

10. APL and Mac's PICT format

11. How can i save a pict as JPEG on disk, for use with web