TEMPORARY FILE during input and output?? 
Author Message
 TEMPORARY FILE during input and output??

I noticed during file opens/writes a TEMPORARY FILE is created in the
folder.

Since I am writing my mac application to run from a shared folder on a
server (where they have full permissions). Won't this cause me problems
when two people running the app at the same time make the same TEMPORARY
FILE?

Can the TEMPORARY FILE be moved to the boot drive or hard drive somehow?

I cannot find any mention of this file anywhere...



Tue, 05 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 TEMPORARY FILE during input and output??

Quote:

> I noticed during file opens/writes a TEMPORARY FILE is created in the
> folder.

> Since I am writing my mac application to run from a shared folder on a
> server (where they have full permissions). Won't this cause me problems
> when two people running the app at the same time make the same TEMPORARY
> FILE?

> Can the TEMPORARY FILE be moved to the boot drive or hard drive somehow?

> I cannot find any mention of this file anywhere...

Is the filename allways the same or is its name a random name ?
Have you ever tried to run two copies of your program from the same
folder on your local harddisk ?

Christian

--
Kostenlose MacOS und Win95/98/NT Programme unter
http://home.t-online.de/home/Christians_Software



Wed, 06 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 TEMPORARY FILE during input and output??
Everyone running the app is opening and closing different files in the same
folder... and it seems during writes a file called TEMPORARY FILE is
created...
I havent run it with several people yet because I fear of what file corruption
will occur with two people creating the TEMPORARY FILE at the same time.
Quote:


> > I noticed during file opens/writes a TEMPORARY FILE is created in the
> > folder.

> > Since I am writing my mac application to run from a shared folder on a
> > server (where they have full permissions). Won't this cause me problems
> > when two people running the app at the same time make the same TEMPORARY
> > FILE?

> > Can the TEMPORARY FILE be moved to the boot drive or hard drive somehow?

> > I cannot find any mention of this file anywhere...
> Is the filename allways the same or is its name a random name ?
> Have you ever tried to run two copies of your program from the same
> folder on your local harddisk ?

> Christian

> --
> Kostenlose MacOS und Win95/98/NT Programme unter
> http://home.t-online.de/home/Christians_Software



Thu, 07 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 TEMPORARY FILE during input and output??
Assign a file name based on the current system time, e.g., "TEMP FILE
10:24:36". You can also include some other random number with the file. This
should make any file name unique.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Share what you know. Learn what you don't.



Fri, 08 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 TEMPORARY FILE during input and output??
I thought every Mac user has an invisible folder on their Macs called
Temporary items or something like that which is meant for programs to put
their temporary files in.

Floris

Quote:

> Everyone running the app is opening and closing different files in the same
> folder... and it seems during writes a file called TEMPORARY FILE is
> created...
> I havent run it with several people yet because I fear of what file corruption
> will occur with two people creating the TEMPORARY FILE at the same time.



> > > I noticed during file opens/writes a TEMPORARY FILE is created in the
> > > folder.

> > > Since I am writing my mac application to run from a shared folder on a
> > > server (where they have full permissions). Won't this cause me problems
> > > when two people running the app at the same time make the same TEMPORARY
> > > FILE?

> > > Can the TEMPORARY FILE be moved to the boot drive or hard drive somehow?

> > > I cannot find any mention of this file anywhere...
> > Is the filename allways the same or is its name a random name ?
> > Have you ever tried to run two copies of your program from the same
> > folder on your local harddisk ?

> > Christian

> > --
> > Kostenlose MacOS und Win95/98/NT Programme unter
> > http://home.t-online.de/home/Christians_Software



Fri, 08 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 TEMPORARY FILE during input and output??
Believe me, I am... every user is saving to a different filename... but
somewhere internally to realbasic, it makes a file called TEMPORARY FILE.
im not saving a temp file... realbasic is... TEMPORARY FILE is nowhere in my
source!
Shouldnt RB be smart enough to put temp files in the temp folder on the hard
drive?
Quote:

> Assign a file name based on the current system time, e.g., "TEMP FILE
> 10:24:36". You can also include some other random number with the file. This
> should make any file name unique.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Share what you know. Learn what you don't.



Fri, 08 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 TEMPORARY FILE during input and output??

Quote:

> Everyone running the app is opening and closing different files in the same
> folder... and it seems during writes a file called TEMPORARY FILE is
> created...
> I havent run it with several people yet because I fear of what file corruption
> will occur with two people creating the TEMPORARY FILE at the same time.

        It would seem a possible solution (bear in mind I've never dealt
with this problem first-hand) is for each application attempting to
complete such an operation to immediately alter the temporary file it
creates in such a way as to identify the creating copy of the
application, and then double-check for that alteration before
proceeding.  In the case that two applications *do* attempt to create
the same temporary file at the same time, one will notice that *it* set
the first four bytes of the file immediately to 0A334E5F...  but that
now the first four bytes are 5F334500.  It therefore correctly deduces
that some other application must have made a new temporary file in the
meantime, and lets that application continue until the coast is clear.

Quote:


> > > I noticed during file opens/writes a TEMPORARY FILE is created in the
> > > folder.

> > > Since I am writing my mac application to run from a shared folder on a
> > > server (where they have full permissions). Won't this cause me problems
> > > when two people running the app at the same time make the same TEMPORARY
> > > FILE?

> > > Can the TEMPORARY FILE be moved to the boot drive or hard drive somehow?

> > > I cannot find any mention of this file anywhere...
> > Is the filename allways the same or is its name a random name ?
> > Have you ever tried to run two copies of your program from the same
> > folder on your local harddisk ?

> > Christian

> > --
> > Kostenlose MacOS und Win95/98/NT Programme unter
> > http://home.t-online.de/home/Christians_Software

--

* Home page:  http://members.tripod.com/~afeldspar/index.html
*          The home of >>Failed Pilots Playhouse<<
* "Better you hold me close than understand..."  Thomas Dolby


Fri, 08 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 TEMPORARY FILE during input and output??

Quote:

>Believe me, I am... every user is saving to a different filename... but
>somewhere internally to realbasic, it makes a file called TEMPORARY FILE.
>im not saving a temp file... realbasic is... TEMPORARY FILE is nowhere in my
>source!
>Shouldnt RB be smart enough to put temp files in the temp folder on the hard
>drive?

run multiple copies of your apps in different folders. That way the temp files
cant interfere.


Sat, 09 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 8 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. newbie would like to break input file and output to separate files

2. Reading from input file writing to output file

3. sed: input file = output file

4. comparing an input file with an output file

5. Mutiple output files single Input file

6. Single file input ==> multi file output

7. with-input-from-file, with-output-to-file

8. with-input-from-file, with-output-to-file

9. file position after error during nonadvancing input

10. awk output into file during processing

11. open-{input,output}-file

12. Text file input/output

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software