REALbasic Books
Author Message
 REALbasic Books

Hello all,
Which book would be a better but for me, to learn REALbasic properly,
Matt Neuberg's or the REALbasic for dummies?

I'm considering getting it, and how are the books set out?

Thanks in advance,
Mark Bee.

Sun, 02 May 2004 10:30:10 GMT
 REALbasic Books

Quote:

>Which book would be a better but for me, to learn REALbasic properly,
>Matt Neuberg's or the REALbasic for dummies?

Comparing the two is like comparing just about any other "For Dummies..."
book with its corresponding O'Reilly "Critter Cover" book.

The "Dummies" book is very good at explaining the basics. You will be
able to do a lot in RB after reading the book. To its credit, it glosses
over less than most other Dummies books do. It has cartoons.

On the other hand, Matt's book covers just about everything, and is more
in-depth. You will be able to write just about any app you'd need with
the information in this one. While it doesn't have that casual, breezy
"we're trying to be Dave Barry" style of the "Dummies" books, it's not
bone-dry either. There are no cartoons.

Neither book really assumes programming experience. For the record, I own
both, and refer to both often. I find it nice to have the same thing
explained two different ways.

 - Jeff

Sun, 02 May 2004 11:25:25 GMT
 REALbasic Books

Quote:

> Which book would be a better but for me, to learn REALbasic properly,
> Matt Neuberg's or the REALbasic for dummies?

For you, the Dummies book. :-)

Seriously, there's absolutely no way to know that unless you're willing to
take a psychological and intellectual examination (which I just happen to
have here). I don't regard the two books as rivals; they are directed at
meeting different needs (needs which can coexist in the same person). m.

--

  *** REALbasic: The Definitive Guide! The Second Edition! ***
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596001770/somethingsbymatt

Sun, 02 May 2004 10:53:08 GMT
 REALbasic Books
Oh yeah, I see what you both mean, so each book is different in the ways
they explain things.  From what you've both said, is it basically that
both books offer different ways of learning REALbasic, and the Dummies
one, is aimed at newcomers like me?

Anyway, thanks again, I'll look at both and then decide.
Mark Bee.

Quote:

> >Which book would be a better but for me, to learn REALbasic properly,
> >Matt Neuberg's or the REALbasic for dummies?

> Comparing the two is like comparing just about any other "For Dummies..."
> book with its corresponding O'Reilly "Critter Cover" book.

> The "Dummies" book is very good at explaining the basics. You will be
> able to do a lot in RB after reading the book. To its credit, it glosses
> over less than most other Dummies books do. It has cartoons.

> On the other hand, Matt's book covers just about everything, and is more
> in-depth. You will be able to write just about any app you'd need with
> the information in this one. While it doesn't have that casual, breezy
> "we're trying to be Dave Barry" style of the "Dummies" books, it's not
> bone-dry either. There are no cartoons.

> Neither book really assumes programming experience. For the record, I own
> both, and refer to both often. I find it nice to have the same thing
> explained two different ways.

>  - Jeff

Sun, 02 May 2004 12:56:51 GMT
 REALbasic Books

Quote:
> Oh yeah, I see what you both mean, so each book is different in the ways
> they explain things.  From what you've both said, is it basically that
> both books offer different ways of learning REALbasic, and the Dummies
> one, is aimed at newcomers like me?

> Anyway, thanks again, I'll look at both and then decide.

If you haven't done much programming before, I would definitely start
with the Dummies book. I've got 'em both and refer to 'em both.

BTW, the Dummies book is the least obnoxious of the few Dummies books
I've looked at. AppleScript for Dummies was so incredibly insulting,
annoying, and distracting, I had a really hard time convincing myself to
buy another one. But I'm glad I bought RB for Dummies.

The author Erick Tejkowski (maybe misspelled) also has a web site
devoted to RB with lots of helpful stuff:

http://www.ResExcellence.com/realbasic/

Another good one for beginners is RB University:

http://www.applelinks.com/rbu/

Be sure to do the Tutorial that comes with RB, too!

Chip

Sun, 02 May 2004 13:09:14 GMT
 REALbasic Books

Quote:

> > Oh yeah, I see what you both mean, so each book is different in the ways
> > they explain things.  From what you've both said, is it basically that
> > both books offer different ways of learning REALbasic, and the Dummies
> > one, is aimed at newcomers like me?

> > Anyway, thanks again, I'll look at both and then decide.

> If you haven't done much programming before, I would definitely start
> with the Dummies book. I've got 'em both and refer to 'em both.

> BTW, the Dummies book is the least obnoxious of the few Dummies books
> I've looked at. AppleScript for Dummies was so incredibly insulting,
> annoying, and distracting, I had a really hard time convincing myself to
> buy another one. But I'm glad I bought RB for Dummies.

> The author Erick Tejkowski (maybe misspelled) also has a web site
> devoted to RB with lots of helpful stuff:

> http://www.ResExcellence.com/realbasic/

> Another good one for beginners is RB University:

> http://www.applelinks.com/rbu/

> Be sure to do the Tutorial that comes with RB, too!

> Chip

...and I just got an email about a new QuickStart Guide available at:

http://webster.realsoftware.com/download/docsdownload.html

Chip

Sun, 02 May 2004 13:32:59 GMT
 REALbasic Books

Quote:

> BTW, the Dummies book is the least obnoxious of the few Dummies books
> I've looked at. AppleScript for Dummies was so incredibly insulting,
> annoying, and distracting, I had a really hard time convincing myself to
> buy another one. But I'm glad I bought RB for Dummies.

What's _Perl for Dummies_ like?

Quote:
> Be sure to do the Tutorial that comes with RB, too!

Yes, the part on making menus is quite sloppy in Dummies (in general is
good, though), I've learned how to do it in the Tutorial, but to
undertand the logic behind it, I needed Neuburg.

--
Ciao,        \+----------+
   Vittorio --| : )    o |

Sun, 02 May 2004 18:17:06 GMT
 REALbasic Books

Quote:

> The "Dummies" book is very good at explaining the basics. You will be
> able to do a lot in RB after reading the book. To its credit, it glosses
> over less than most other Dummies books do. It has cartoons.

> On the other hand, Matt's book covers just about everything, and is more
> in-depth. You will be able to write just about any app you'd need with
> the information in this one. While it doesn't have that casual, breezy
> "we're trying to be Dave Barry" style of the "Dummies" books, it's not
> bone-dry either. There are no cartoons.

   Hey, Matt. Put bigger margins in your book so we can draw our own
cartoons.

Mon, 03 May 2004 09:40:10 GMT
 REALbasic Books

Quote:

>   Hey, Matt. Put bigger margins in your book so we can draw our own
>cartoons.

Or keep the margins like they are and hire Sergio Aragones. :)

 - Jeff

Tue, 04 May 2004 21:51:54 GMT
 REALbasic Books

Vittorio,

Quote:
> What's _Perl for Dummies_ like?

Although it's off-topic and at the same time strangely on-topic:
I found it very good.  It gave me a quick start guide to PERL and from there
I could develop code for various situtations.

It isn't going to make you a PERL Guru - but I'm sure that isn't the point
of the "for dummies" books anyway. :)

Incidentally I have the O'Reilly's guide to RB by my side - and find it a
useful reference.

- Adrian

Fri, 21 May 2004 18:09:28 GMT

1. Read any good Realbasic books lately?

2. Which RealBasic book to buy?

3. RealBasic Book

4. Third book about Realbasic?

5. Sound in RealBasic 4 Prof. (er, RealBasic)

6. Matching Data Types between RealBasic and the RealBasic Database

7. realbasic to excel/realbasic vers excel

8. Book Sale - APL Books and others

9. Mentamatics: Books and Stories, a movie book by Ellis D. Cooper

10. BOOK WANTED: Abel Assembler Book

11. Quarterly Journal seeking book reviewer for forth book

12. Request for book review : OOP books