REALbasic, OS X, and 3DMF format
Author Message
 REALbasic, OS X, and 3DMF format

Hi.

As you know, RB3DSpace uses 3DMF files to load objects.
I was told that the 3DMF format would not be supported any more by the
majority of OS X applications; and that it would be replaced by the
OpenGL format.
From my point of view this may be true because I have difficulties to
find OS X applications able to open/save file in 3DMF, and because
it's a quite old format.
My quetions are:
- Is it true that the 3DMF will be abandonned (under OS X)?
- Is it true that it will be replaced by the OpenGL format?
- Why has REALbasic chosen to use 3DMF format for its 3DRBSpace
instead of a more recent format?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Bye.

Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:07:58 GMT
 REALbasic, OS X, and 3DMF format

Quote:

> As you know, RB3DSpace uses 3DMF files to load objects.

Yep.  (In the future it will support other formats too, but 3DMF is
recommended anyway.)

Quote:
> I was told that the 3DMF format would not be supported any more by the
> majority of OS X applications; and that it would be replaced by the
> OpenGL format.

OpenGL doesn't HAVE a format.  This is one of its major shortcomings.
3DMF, on the other hand, is supported by any app which uses Quesa.
Quesa's still fairly new and there aren't a lot of such apps on OS X
yet, but there will be.  And Quesa runs everywhere OpenGL runs, plus
places it doesn't (since it uses a plug-in rendering system that does
not require OpenGL).

Quote:
> From my point of view this may be true because I have difficulties to
> find OS X applications able to open/save file in 3DMF, and because
> it's a quite old format.

Old <> bad.  And what sort of applications are you looking for?  If you
want to view 3DMF, try the Quesa Viewer.  If you want to edit it, there
are several apps available -- Meshwork is one, but there are others
too.

Quote:
> My quetions are:
> - Is it true that the 3DMF will be abandonned (under OS X)?

No.

Quote:
> - Is it true that it will be replaced by the OpenGL format?

No, and this doesn't even make sense since there is no such thing as
"the OpenGL format".

Quote:
> - Why has REALbasic chosen to use 3DMF format for its 3DRBSpace
> instead of a more recent format?

Because it's better.  See the "About Quesa and QD3D.txt" document that
comes with REALbasic for a long discussion which I don't care to repeat
here.  (But I will if you insist.)

Cheers,
- Joe

Mon, 20 Sep 2004 23:18:02 GMT
 REALbasic, OS X, and 3DMF format
Hello,
More precisely, 3DMF (like .obj,.dxf,etc) is a file format decribing 3D
objects (either in binary or ascii)
OpenGl is an API (like glide,quesa,direct3D); sort of high level
language/interface used to translate a 3D scene decription to a video card.
bye
gege

Quote:

--
Eurema - systemes parafoudre
6a, quai Marc Seguin

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/parafoudres.eurema/

Sat, 02 Oct 2004 14:40:20 GMT

1. 3DMF Files for Windows RealBasic - Yikes!

2. RealBasic Database Date format

3. What graphics format does RealBasic want !?!?!?!

4. REALbasic rsrc format

5. Realbasic 4 (Classic unter Mac OS 8.6): FEHLER 3 gel?st

6. Mac OS X and REALbasic CGI's

7. OS Menu Bar Extensions in RealBasic

8. big RealBasic OS X problem

9. Running RealBasic Application after Logout on OS-X Server

10. Sound in RealBasic 4 Prof. (er, RealBasic)

11. Matching Data Types between RealBasic and the RealBasic Database

12. realbasic to excel/realbasic vers excel