Threads - Timers???
Author Message
 Threads - Timers???

Metronome experiment.
I've noticed on professional music apps that the metronome runs
uninterrupted no matter what the user does. Is this something I can do
in RB.  I've tried Timers /Threads  with no luck.
Thanks
Vini

Sat, 06 Nov 2004 01:10:26 GMT
 Threads - Timers???

Quote:

> Metronome experiment.
> I've noticed on professional music apps that the metronome runs
> uninterrupted no matter what the user does. Is this something I can do
> in RB.  I've tried Timers /Threads  with no luck.

1. What is a Metronome?
2. Can't you make it working with missing Action Events?

Mfg
Christian

--
** Bitte beachten Sie auch die Rueckseite dieses Schreibens **

Sat, 06 Nov 2004 08:34:23 GMT
 Threads - Timers???
In article

Quote:

> I've noticed on professional music apps that the metronome runs
> uninterrupted no matter what the user does. Is this something I can do
> in RB.  I've tried Timers /Threads  with no luck.

Is there a difference if you run under OS X?

(I used Carbon timers in a C++ application, and they were reliable
under OS X but didn't have a very regular period under OS 9. I don't
think that RB uses the same technique, but OS X is a better
multitasking system...)

--

http://www.pensee.com/dunham/
    "I say we should listen to the customers and give them what they want."

Sat, 06 Nov 2004 09:55:01 GMT
 Threads - Timers???
On 5/20/02 5:34 PM, in article

Quote:

>> Metronome experiment.
>> I've noticed on professional music apps that the metronome runs
>> uninterrupted no matter what the user does. Is this something I can do
>> in RB.  I've tried Timers /Threads  with no luck.

> 1. What is a Metronome?

It's an audible beat (A beep or click I believe, I'm not all that familiar
with music/audio stuff).

Quote:
> 2. Can't you make it working with missing Action Events?

Since it's producing a sound every time, this would be highly undesirable I
believe.

Feel free to step in if I'm wrong anyone,

- Owen

Sat, 06 Nov 2004 11:17:55 GMT
 Threads - Timers???

Quote:

> > 2. Can't you make it working with missing Action Events?
> Since it's producing a sound every time, this would be highly undesirable I
> believe.

Which frequency?
Nothing stops you from doing realtime sounds if you use a plugin.

Mfg
Christian

--
Spiel des Lebens 3.0 ist fertig!
Die englische Version ist auch schon in Arbeit!

Sat, 06 Nov 2004 19:31:02 GMT
 Threads - Timers???
I guess my question wasn't specific enough.

WHAT IS A METROMONE?
A metronome is a short percussive sound sample played at a specific
beat per minute. (BPM).  Musicians use this as a guide when performing.

The problems I've encountered:
1. Getting the timing accurate - a metronome is useless if it's not
absolutely accurate.

2. Keeping the metronome running while the user interacts with
the interface.

I know this can be done, like I said pro music apps do it all the time.
I'm just not sure if it can be done in RB.

Thanks
Vini

Sun, 07 Nov 2004 10:49:36 GMT
 Threads - Timers???

Quote:

> I know this can be done, like I said pro music apps do it all the time.
> I'm just not sure if it can be done in RB.

Sure this can work.
I would suggest for best results to make two applications which talk to
each other vie Apple Events.
One has no Interface and do the sound and the other sends Events.

That way you can't stop the background application from beeping ;-)

Mfg
Christian

--
Windows: It's Just Work
Macintosh: It Just Works

http://www.christians-software.de (Free Mac/Win software)

Sun, 07 Nov 2004 10:52:05 GMT
 Threads - Timers???

Quote:
> I would suggest for best results to make two applications which talk to
> each other vie Apple Events.
> One has no Interface and do the sound and the other sends Events.

> That way you can't stop the background application from beeping ;-)

Ah! that's how it's done.
Seems a little above my head ,  but I'll give it a try.

Thanks I appreciate it!!
Vini

Sun, 07 Nov 2004 11:10:08 GMT
 Threads - Timers???
On 5/21/02 7:52 PM, in article

Quote:

>> I know this can be done, like I said pro music apps do it all the time.
>> I'm just not sure if it can be done in RB.

> Sure this can work.
> I would suggest for best results to make two applications which talk to
> each other vie Apple Events.
> One has no Interface and do the sound and the other sends Events.

> That way you can't stop the background application from beeping ;-)

If you do this though, make sure to watch out for processor-intensive tasks
in the "real" app. In OS 9 at least, the OS gives the frontmost app a lot
more priority with the processor.

--Owen

Sun, 07 Nov 2004 11:59:21 GMT
 Threads - Timers???
In article

Quote:

> The problems I've encountered:
> 1. Getting the timing accurate - a metronome is useless if it's not
> absolutely accurate.

> 2. Keeping the metronome running while the user interacts with
> the interface.

This is very hard to do, even in C.  Most apps that do this sort of
thing do it by installing Time Manager tasks, which you can't do in RB
without a plug-in.

Christian's suggestion of using a second app may work in OS X, but it
won't work in OS 9, where one app may block all the others (and does,
when you do things like drag the mouse during a menu selection).

Cheers,
- Joe

Sun, 07 Nov 2004 12:40:13 GMT
 Threads - Timers???

Quote:
> This is very hard to do, even in C.  Most apps that do this sort of
> thing do it by installing Time Manager tasks, which you can't do in RB
> without a plug-in.

> Christian's suggestion of using a second app may work in OS X, but it
> won't work in OS 9, where one app may block all the others (and does,
> when you do things like drag the mouse during a menu selection).

> Cheers,
> - Joe

Thanks  everyone for your input and suggestions.
This might be more that I can handle at my current level.
Vini

Mon, 08 Nov 2004 00:04:54 GMT

1. SelectOpenFolder and threads/timers

2. Python/Jython - threading.Timer()

3. VX-Rexx Timer - Objects in Window - Threads and more

4. Signals, threads, high resolution timers

5. Tkinter timer procs: threads or something else?

6. Threads and notifier(Xview) timer signal

7. threading module timer object

8. Wait ms Timer Multiple returning inaccurate timer value

9. Using timer 2 instead of timer 1

10. Threads creating threads creating threads...

11. thread, threading, mutex modules and non-threading interpreters

12. Non-threaded function in a threaded recursion?