compiling shared libraries
Author Message
 compiling shared libraries

I have some c/c++ code that I've done in Unix (mostly image processing
stuff) and I'd like to integrate into a RB project as a shared library.  I
don't want to make a plugin just yet.  So how do I exactly compile the c/c++
code that I wrote on Unix into a proper PPC shared library.  I believe
Codewarrior comes into the mix or can I do it with OSX gcc and share that
with a system 9.2 build of the application.

--
Bruce Johnson

Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:35:33 GMT
 compiling shared libraries

Quote:

> I have some c/c++ code that I've done in Unix (mostly image processing
> stuff) and I'd like to integrate into a RB project as a shared library...

Choose:
1. (best) to make it a plugin using Codewarrior
2. make a ppc shared library using Codewarrior
   (one for Mac OS classic and one for Mac OS Carbon)
3. try to make 2 with gcc, but I've never done something with gcc.

Mfg
Christian

--
"Quatsch,?Apple?geht?pleite?..."
"Du?hast?vergessen,?da??Microsoft?dann?Windows?mit?OSX?ersetzt,?dann7

Wed, 21 Jul 2004 23:21:21 GMT
 compiling shared libraries

Quote:
> 2. make a ppc shared library using Codewarrior
>  (one for Mac OS classic and one for Mac OS Carbon)

Which target setting do I use in codewarrior.  I have an old, limited
release of codewarrior.  I can compile using PPC Standard C console as the
target setting.  Will this work as a PPC shared library in RB?

--
Bruce Johnson

Thu, 22 Jul 2004 03:50:40 GMT
 compiling shared libraries

Quote:

> > 2. make a ppc shared library using Codewarrior
> >  (one for Mac OS classic and one for Mac OS Carbon)

> Which target setting do I use in codewarrior.  I have an old, limited
> release of codewarrior.  I can compile using PPC Standard C console as the
> target setting.  Will this work as a PPC shared library in RB?

Please go to:

Edit
  <Your Project> Settings
    Target Settings Panels
      PPC Target
        Project Type:

Choose from the popup-menu "Shared Library".

I want to say, that this is not the appropriate newsgroup to ask for
such help.

Please go to

codewarrior.mac

for further help.

There are also a lot of settings, that must be configured, before you
can compile successfully your Shared Library with CodeWarrior. I will
not explain here how exactly you can do it, because it takes too long.

If you like, send me your code, and i will create a highly optimized
shared library for your project (both Classic PPC & Carbon).

I do currently work on a project, which is called "REALbasic Shared
Library Linker", and i plan to release the first beta (v1.0b4) on
http://gehre.org/ in the next days.

The REALbasic Shared Library Linker links your compiled shared library
to your final REALbasic-app, which makes your app "standalone". Your
shared library is then only needed for testing/debugging, but not for
the distribution of your final app.

I do not understand, why RB does not do this simple task, but this is
a secret of REAL$oftware.

Bruce

Thu, 22 Jul 2004 07:29:16 GMT
 compiling shared libraries

Quote:

>> 2. make a ppc shared library using Codewarrior
>>  (one for Mac OS classic and one for Mac OS Carbon)

> Which target setting do I use in codewarrior.  I have an old, limited
> release of codewarrior.  I can compile using PPC Standard C console as the
> target setting.  Will this work as a PPC shared library in RB?

Many moons ago I bought the Learning Edition of CodeWarrior, only to find
that it can't make shared libraries or code resources. Perhaps you're in a
similar position.

You might be able to hack it all together with MPW (free from Apple). I
don't think ProjectBuilder can do shared libs (since it's based on gcc).

Good luck! :-)

Thu, 22 Jul 2004 06:53:24 GMT

wrote on 2/2/02 2:53 PM:

> don't think ProjectBuilder can do shared libs (since it's based on gcc).

How about plain vanilla gcc from the command line?  I guess that I'm trying
NOT to buy Codewarrior and gcc is free in OSX.

--
Bruce Johnson

Thu, 22 Jul 2004 12:58:05 GMT
 compiling shared libraries

Quote:

> How about plain vanilla gcc from the command line?  I guess that I'm trying
> NOT to buy Codewarrior and gcc is free in OSX.

Give it up.  gcc can't make proper PEF shared libraries for use in both
classic MacOS and OS X.  MPW might be able to do it, but unless your
time isn't worth much, it'll be considerably cheaper overall to just
buy CodeWarrior.

Cheers,
- Joe

Fri, 23 Jul 2004 04:09:01 GMT

1. tcl/tk won't compile shared libraries

2. unable to compile dynamic loading or shared libraries on Linux

3. Compiling with shared libraries on Linux

4. Error compiling tk4.1 shared libraries on HPUX

5. FORTRAN common in AIX shared library not shared at runtime (0/1)

6. Tcl shared libraries and static libraries

7. Help compiling shared .so on Redhat

8. Compiling shared modules for Python1.5 - RPM Install

9. problems compiling 2.3 on solaris with --enable-shared

10. Problems compiling shared TK 8.3.2 lib under AIX 4.3.3 with gcc

11. Compiling tk with --enable-shared

12. Compiling TK 8.0 on HP-UX 10.20 in shared libs