NEWBIE: Does a EditField keep its contains after quitting?
Author Message
 NEWBIE: Does a EditField keep its contains after quitting?

Or do I need to save it to a file?
And maybe some of you could point me to a good source of information
about REALBASIC on the web? Like source code or tutorials?

--
" Joss, we want to help you get better. And I think you want that too. Isn't that why your writers are doing these horrible things to the show? And your enemies -- look at them. You used to create grand villains to battle against. And now what is it? Not gods or monsters. "

Tue, 21 Sep 2004 20:51:44 GMT
 NEWBIE: Does a EditField keep its contains after quitting?

Quote:

> Or do I need to save it to a file?

You need to save it to a file.

Quote:
> And maybe some of you could point me to a good source of information
> about REALBASIC on the web? Like source code or tutorials?

There's a tutorial that comes with REALbasic, and I think it's also
available on the REALsoftware web site somewhere.  You can also find
lots of source code and stuff on the REALsoftware web and ftp sites:

<http://www.realsoftware.com/>
<ftp://ftp.realsoftware.com/>

Tue, 21 Sep 2004 23:06:45 GMT
 NEWBIE: Does a EditField keep its contains after quitting?

Quote:

> And maybe some of you could point me to a good source of information
> about REALBASIC on the web? Like source code or tutorials?

We also have a service where we come to your house and wipe your ass for you. m.

--

      *** REALbasic: The Definitive Guide! 2nd edition! ***
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596001770/somethingsbymatt

Wed, 22 Sep 2004 03:26:29 GMT
 NEWBIE: Does a EditField keep its contains after quitting?
In article

Quote:

>> And maybe some of you could point me to a good source of information
>> about REALBASIC on the web? Like source code or tutorials?

>We also have a service where we come to your house and wipe your ass for you. m.

On one hand, that's a pretty mean response to the poor guy. Granted he
didn't RTFM, and is deserving of the standard amount of USENET scorn. But
ouch, that's cold.

On the other hand, that dull thud you heard was the sound of my own ass
hitting the floor after being laughed off.

 - Jeff, a bit conflicted.

Thu, 23 Sep 2004 00:01:44 GMT
 NEWBIE: Does a EditField keep its contains after quitting?

Quote:

> > And maybe some of you could point me to a good source of information
> > about REALBASIC on the web? Like source code or tutorials?

> We also have a service where we come to your house and wipe your ass for you.
> m.

Bad book, bad book!

--
" Joss, we want to help you get better. And I think you want that too. Isn't that why your writers are doing these horrible things to the show? And your enemies -- look at them. You used to create grand villains to battle against. And now what is it? Not gods or monsters. "

Thu, 23 Sep 2004 01:56:54 GMT
 NEWBIE: Does a EditField keep its contains after quitting?

Quote:

> >We also have a service where we come to your house and wipe your ass for
> >you. m.

> On one hand, that's a pretty mean response to the poor guy. Granted he
> didn't RTFM, and is deserving of the standard amount of USENET scorn. But
> ouch, that's cold.

That is cold.  Especially since the download-only version doesn't come
with the tutorial.  You have to download that separately.  And although
there is a provided link to find the tutorial, it's in a folder called
"Internet Resources", and I can kind of understand a newbie not
figuring out to look in there.

Not a good advert for your book, Matt.  If his request pained you that
much, you should have ignored it instead, or even replied with a canned
plug for your book.  Instead, you've probably guaranteed that one
particular newbie won't be sending any money your way.

Thu, 23 Sep 2004 03:16:06 GMT
 NEWBIE: Does a EditField keep its contains after quitting?

Quote:
> That is cold.  Especially since the download-only version doesn't come
> with the tutorial.  You have to download that separately.  And although
> there is a provided link to find the tutorial, it's in a folder called
> "Internet Resources", and I can kind of understand a newbie not
> figuring out to look in there.

> Not a good advert for your book, Matt.  If his request pained you that
> much, you should have ignored it instead, or even replied with a canned
> plug for your book.  Instead, you've probably guaranteed that one
> particular newbie won't be sending any money your way.

Did the tutorial thing. Found it very helpfull as to understanding the
*flow* of RB. But I just wanted some more info like that.

All I asked was this:
"Or do I need to save it to a file?
And maybe some of you could point me to a good source of information
about REALBASIC on the web? Like source code or tutorials?"

What is the normal for asking some help? Please tell.
And Matt's book? Din't love it. But granted english isnt my native
laguage and some of the words were real big. But the reverse goes for RB
for dummies. How dummie are you when you need words spelled out for ya?
(W-I-N-D-O-W-S Anyone? a whole freaking chapter about windows...)

--
" Joss, we want to help you get better. And I think you want that too. Isn't that why your writers are doing these horrible things to the show? And your enemies -- look at them. You used to create grand villains to battle against. And now what is it? Not gods or monsters. "

Thu, 23 Sep 2004 08:03:06 GMT
 NEWBIE: Does a EditField keep its contains after quitting?

Quote:

> "Or do I need to save it to a file?
> And maybe some of you could point me to a good source of information
> about REALBASIC on the web? Like source code or tutorials?"

You need to save it to a file yourself and you'll find this in one
chapter of the tutorial.

Mfg
Christian

--
Wer?Lust?hat,?ein?OS?zu?installieren,?das?die?Leistung der?Hardware
blockiert,?codecs?ausbremst?und?Fremdsoftware?verbietet,?die?Rechte

Thu, 23 Sep 2004 15:18:00 GMT
 NEWBIE: Does a EditField keep its contains after quitting?

Quote:

> > "Or do I need to save it to a file?
> > And maybe some of you could point me to a good source of information
> > about REALBASIC on the web? Like source code or tutorials?"

> You need to save it to a file yourself and you'll find this in one
> chapter of the tutorial.

> Mfg
> Christian

Ah you mean the "Let's built a Text App!" tutorial ... I only did the
"Let's built a Bookmark utility!" Thanks for the advice.

--
Don't worry. Info's free.

Thu, 23 Sep 2004 19:12:58 GMT
 NEWBIE: Does a EditField keep its contains after quitting?

Quote:

> Ah you mean the "Let's built a Text App!" tutorial ...

Sure.

mfg
Christian

--
  "Du kennst mich doch, ich hab' nichts gegen Fremde.
      Einige meiner besten Freunde sind Fremde. Aber

Thu, 23 Sep 2004 21:16:44 GMT
 NEWBIE: Does a EditField keep its contains after quitting?

Quote:

> Or do I need to save it to a file?

You need to save it to a file

Quote:
> And maybe some of you could point me to a good source of information
> about REALBASIC on the web? Like source code or tutorials?

Did you had a look at the ftp server from RB:

ftp://ftp.realsoftware.com/

Developers Duide 414 pages in pdf
ftp://ftp.realsoftware.com/REALbasic/release/DevelopersGuide.sit

In the same directory you will find the tutorials, the language
reference.

Andreas

Sun, 26 Sep 2004 18:45:15 GMT
 NEWBIE: Does a EditField keep its contains after quitting?

Quote:
> > And maybe some of you could point me to a good source of information
> > about REALBASIC on the web? Like source code or tutorials?
> Did you had a look at the ftp server from RB:

> ftp://ftp.realsoftware.com/

> Developers Duide 414 pages in pdf
> ftp://ftp.realsoftware.com/REALbasic/release/DevelopersGuide.sit

> In the same directory you will find the tutorials, the language
> reference.

> Andreas

Thanks.

--
Don't worry. Info's free.

Mon, 27 Sep 2004 02:26:54 GMT

1. Keeping non-ASCII characters out of an editfield

2. Testing, I know I keep doing it but I'm tesating :-)

3. newbie: vertical editfield?

4. EditField newbie questions

5. newbie: file quit?

6. (newbie) Literal array containing variables?

7. Warning! Contains Ambitious Newbie Questions

8. structure containing structure - newbie

9. Parsing a CSV file containing quoted strings (themselves containing commas)

10. Keeping datas in memory [NEWBIE]

11. Newbie question- how to keep a frame from shrinking

12. Newbie Question - Usual ways of doing th