Differences RB1.1 - 2?
Author Message
 Differences RB1.1 - 2?

I just started reading in this NG recently so forgive me if this item
has been up ...
I can get RB 2.1 and then I can get version 1.1 and its price is only a
third of the newer version's. Ive tried out both Demo Versions, but with
my limited abilities I cant really judge em. Im working my way through a
tutorial I found online (I forgot where) and all thats in there works in
both the versions.

Are there good enough reasons for paying thrice the price for the 2.1?

--
Claus Rogge

Sat, 29 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Differences RB1.1 - 2?

Quote:

> I just started reading in this NG recently so forgive me if this item
> has been up ...
> I can get RB 2.1 and then I can get version 1.1 and its price is only a
> third of the newer version's. Ive tried out both Demo Versions, but with
> my limited abilities I cant really judge em. Im working my way through a
> tutorial I found online (I forgot where) and all thats in there works in
> both the versions.

> Are there good enough reasons for paying thrice the price for the 2.1?

See the list of changes between version 1 and 2 of RB, and see if that
helps. I never knew you could still get 1 when I bought 2 last year! :-)

-sonicblur

---Visit Sonic Metropolis at:--
http://metrosonic.8m.com/sonicm
-=============================-

./---------------------------\.
|  "He's not gonna get away   |
|   with this!" - Dr. Eggman  |
.\---------------------------/.

Sun, 30 Mar 2003 08:34:29 GMT
 Differences RB1.1 - 2?
    I can't find anywhere to purchase RB 1.1. My 2.1 demo is soon to time
out, and I downloaded 1.1 last night to see what it is like. It would be
good enough for me, a beginning programmer. It compiles faster than 2.1,
and a program with the same code as a 2.1-created app requires a little
more than half of the memory allottment.
    They could call it REALbasic Lite, affordable for newbies. That 30 day
timeout for the demo is a real drag!
    It is like comparing System 7xx with 8xx. Less features, less memory
use. I'm going to buy it if I can get it. Can you point me in that
direction?
    I have queried RB customer service, and am waiting for a reply, will
post it here.

Ken
--
Triangle, a right-angle triangle calculator
my first RB program, at  http://www.token.f2s.com/realb

Quote:

> I just started reading in this NG recently so forgive me if this item
> has been up ...
> I can get RB 2.1 and then I can get version 1.1 and its price is only a
> third of the newer version's. Ive tried out both Demo Versions, but with
> my limited abilities I cant really judge em. Im working my way through a
> tutorial I found online (I forgot where) and all thats in there works in
> both the versions.

> Are there good enough reasons for paying thrice the price for the 2.1?

> --
> Claus Rogge

Sun, 30 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Differences RB1.1 - 2?
Here's the reply from customer service:

Quote:
>So, please, is a1.1.1 license available, or not?

Hello,

We don't sell 1.1 any more. Are you aware that you can buy the 2.1
license for $99.95?
You don't have to buys the docs and CD. Also, when we were selling 1.x
it was also $99.95.

Jason

Sun, 30 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Differences RB1.1 - 2?
I think Application Systems Heidelberg in Germany, the German distributor
for REALbasic, has version 1.1 at a special price. Only download version,
I believe. Check out their website.

Floris van Sandwijk
Noadis, Dutch distributor of REALbasic

Quote:

> Here's the reply from customer service:

> >So, please, is a1.1.1 license available, or not?

> Hello,

> We don't sell 1.1 any more. Are you aware that you can buy the 2.1
> license for $99.95?
> You don't have to buys the docs and CD. Also, when we were selling 1.x
> it was also $99.95.

> Jason

Sun, 30 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Differences RB1.1 - 2?

Quote:

> I just started reading in this NG recently so forgive me if this item
> has been up ...
> I can get RB 2.1 and then I can get version 1.1 and its price is only a
> third of the newer version's. Ive tried out both Demo Versions, but with
> my limited abilities I cant really judge em. Im working my way through a
> tutorial I found online (I forgot where) and all thats in there works in
> both the versions.

> Are there good enough reasons for paying thrice the price for the 2.1?

RB Lite, also 1.1 kostet zwar nur 99 M?rker, hat aber viele
Einschr?nkungen und wird nicht mehr weiterentwickelt.
Fr einfache Mac Programme ist es aber in Ordnung.

Dagegen wird die Version 2 gerade an OSX angepasst, was dann in die
Version 3 einfliesst. ASH hat zudem auch eine Webseite mit den
?nderungen.

Ich wrde also einen Newsbie vielleicht auch dazu raten sich jetzt Lite
zu kaufen und sp?ter auf 3.0 zu springen. 2.0 jetzt zu kaufen macht
natrlich auch Sinn, da es viele neue Features hat.

PS: for english - ASH hast a Lite version of RB. I suggest for a newbie
to buy now this Lite version and later upgrade to 3.0.

mfg
Christian

--
MegaPoster 1.0
Print your own mega posters up to 500 square meters !

Sun, 30 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Differences RB1.1 - 2?

Quote:
>I can get RB 2.1 and then I can get version 1.1 and its price is only a
>third of the newer version's.
<snip>
>Are there good enough reasons for paying thrice the price for the 2.1?

If you can get 1.x for that much cheaper, go ahead and get 1.x.

I used RB professionally at work, and I have both versions.  For my
purposes, the upgrade to 2.x was a waste of money (and one I had to
justify to my boss).

I've compiled several program under both 2.1.2 and 1.1.x.  Here's the
observations I've made:

1) Size: 1.1.x compiles programs to about 1/2 the size of a 2.1.2
program with identical functionality. (This makes me wonder if maybe RB
apps aren't truly compiled, but rather are an intepreter tacked onto to
bytecode or some such.  Sorry--Just a random musing).

2) Speed: The only program where the speed difference was noticable, the
1.1.x compiled program was faster.  The 2.1.2 program was so slow as to
be literally useless. (This was the first thing I had to defend to my
boss).

3) Windows: The Windows cross-compile produced a pretty screen that
didn't do anything. (Same program as observation #2 above--so I guess
the Win version was emulating the uselessness of the Mac version :) This
was the second thing I had to defend to my boss).

So as it stands right now, both 2.1.2 and 1.1.x sit on my hard drive, but
all I use is the 1.1.x.

So as I said, stick with 1.1.x. Unless you plan on making Windows and Mac
apps.  I'm sure Win programs works for other aps.

--Snowgen

Sat, 12 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Differences RB1.1 - 2?

Quote:

> If you can get 1.x for that much cheaper, go ahead and get 1.x.

Hi! Thanks for answering! But I had to get one before 30 days, so I
bought v.2 anyway.

For anyone interested (after Snowgen's posting), v.1.1 is sold by
http://application-systems.de
called RB Light Edition, and if its like the v.2, there is an english
version and a german version on the disc.

--
Claus Rogge

Sun, 13 Apr 2003 12:19:34 GMT

1. RB1.0 Pow method.

2. Title/Subject: Minimize N args function with quasi-newton method with finite difference gradient Minimize N args function with quasi-newton method with finite difference gradient

3. Smalltalk Differences

4. SmallScript constructs [Re: Major differences between Smalltalk and Java)

5. Differences between J1 and J2

6. difference between apl2 and J?

7. difference between j and apl?

8. the difference between f : '' and f@]

9. Differences between J versions?

10. What is the difference extent and preferredExtent?

11. Difference between SmallTalk Express and VAST

12. Major differences between Smalltalk and Java