Reusable Windows
Author Message
 Reusable Windows

Hello,

Hello folks,

I started only recently on a RB project, and developped a general window to
be reused throughout the project, copying and adapting it for the different
needs. Apparently copying a window isn't that simple as CTRL drop and drag.
Does anyone has some experience on copying windows?

Thanks beforehand,

Martin

--

m vr gr

Martin DELEU
bvba De & C
IT Consulting - Training
tel ++32(0)56/55.78.13
fax ++32(0)56/55.82.96

Fri, 16 Jan 2004 23:30:28 GMT
 Reusable Windows

Quote:

> I started only recently on a RB project, and developped a general window to
> be reused throughout the project, copying and adapting it for the different
> needs. Apparently copying a window isn't that simple as CTRL drop and drag.
> Does anyone has some experience on copying windows?

Drag it out of the project, rename the copy still in your RB project
window, then drag the one you dragged out, back in.

Cheers,
- Joe

Sat, 17 Jan 2004 03:40:25 GMT
 Reusable Windows

Quote:

> Hello,

> Hello folks,

> I started only recently on a RB project, and developped a general window to
> be reused throughout the project, copying and adapting it for the different
> needs. Apparently copying a window isn't that simple as CTRL drop and drag.
> Does anyone has some experience on copying windows?

It's kinda screwy, but you can do it:

Rename your window the new name you want. Drag it off of the Project
window, and onto the desktop, where it'll create a file. In the Project
window, rename the window back to the name you had before. Drag the file
from the desktop into the Project window, and it'll appear.

Wasn't that simple? Send in a REALbug feature request if you can think
of a better way to do it (you probably can).

(You could also export to XML, find the window in the XML, make a copy,
change the name, and then import the modified XML, but that's twice as
complicated.)

Quote:
> Thanks beforehand,

You're welcome afterward.

--
"In a world full of lies/That tug at the truth
 I'm taking no sides/Now I recognize you.." --DS

Sat, 17 Jan 2004 08:00:14 GMT
 Reusable Windows

Quote:

> > I started only recently on a RB project, and developped a general window to
> > be reused throughout the project, copying and adapting it for the different
> > needs. Apparently copying a window isn't that simple as CTRL drop and drag.
> > Does anyone has some experience on copying windows?

> Rename your window the new name you want. Drag it off of the Project
> window, and onto the desktop, where it'll create a file. In the Project
> window, rename the window back to the name you had before. Drag the file
> from the desktop into the Project window, and it'll appear.

That is a really good tip.

Another approach, which you may or may not be able to take, is to give
your window all the elements (controls) it needs for all its different
uses, and then have a particular instance of that window hide the ones
that aren't appropriate to the particular use for which it summoned. Thus
you end up with just one window that has several slightly different
appearances. m.

--

*** REALbasic, The Definitive Guide! ***
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/realbasic/

Sat, 17 Jan 2004 09:53:37 GMT
 Reusable Windows
In article

Quote:

> > Rename your window the new name you want. Drag it off of the Project
> > window, and onto the desktop, where it'll create a file. In the Project
> > window, rename the window back to the name you had before. Drag the file
> > from the desktop into the Project window, and it'll appear.

> That is a really good tip.

True, though it involves one more rename than is actually needed.

Cheers,
- Joe

Sat, 17 Jan 2004 22:48:23 GMT

1. Reusable windows?

2. reusable design vs. reusable code

3. Reusable software components for MS-DOS/Windows

4. Reusable Components

5. Accelerators/Reusable Menus

6. Reusable Architectures Session

7. Reusable code needed for 8-bit CRC (cyclic redundancy check)

8. Language change proposal: make assertions "reusable"

9. "Reusable Software": Bugs in the book?

10. "Reusable Software ..." by B. Meyer

11. Encouragement to post reusable code (long)

12. Request for reusable function libraries