Definitive Guide - Opinions?
Author Message
 Definitive Guide - Opinions?

Quote:
>I saw the Definitive Guide book in a shop today and had a quick flick
>through it. It did seem quite informative but I was wondering what the users
>who have actually gone out and bought it think. Is it worth the cash and
>is it aimed at a certain level of user?

I have the Definitive Guide and have found it very useful. I'm an experienced
programmer--bought it mostly to brush up on the specifics of REALbasic--but I
think it would be an excellent tool for both novices and experienced computer
people.

The Definitive Guide, in addition to its excellent information about REALbasic
in specific, is a good introduction to the concepts of object-oriented
programming.

To be fair, it does have some flaws and omissions. It does not discuss
compiling RB code for Windows at all, so if you plan to code for Windows you
will find no Windows-specific help in it.

Also, Matt levels several complaints at some RB interface elements, such as the
popup menu control, which I believe are unfounded. For example, he complains
that popup menus in RB cannot be heirarchic and cannot easily be made to appear
with a default "label" in place of a selection; yet both of these behaviors
violate Apple's Human Interface Guidelines, and for that reason are not
supported at a Toolbox level within the MacOS. The "shortcomings" he complains
about are not shortcomings at all; they are specific usability features,
designed in accordance with Apple's Human Interface Guidelines.

Still, all in all, I do recommend the book.

------
Onyx, the game of {*filter*} exploration; Xero, the industrial magazine
of art, fiction and photography; and online photo gallery--all at
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Fri, 01 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Definitive Guide - Opinions?

:> >I saw the Definitive Guide book in a shop today and had a quick flick
:> >through it. It did seem quite informative but I was wondering what the
:> >users
:> >who have actually gone out and bought it think. Is it worth the cash
:> >and
:> >is it aimed at a certain level of user?
:>
[...]

I concur wholeheartedly with everything stated above.  There are some
areas of the book which I think assume too much knowledge on the part of
a new programmer.  But on the whole I've found it to be a fantastic
resource.  Matt didn't withhold his opinions about the warts RB has, and
in some areas even experienced programmers can be left to ponder how the
heck he figured out how to do certain things.  But it's an outstanding
book, and most (perhaps all?) of the code examples can be obtained at
Matt's web site.

= Steve =

--
Steve W. Jackson,  Montgomery, Alabama
http://www.mindspring.com/~sjacksn/stevehome.html

Fri, 01 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. realbasic definitive guide and version 4

2. RB3 and The Definitive Guide

3. RealBasic - the definitive guide 3

4. Is there a definitive Tcl style guide?

5. Opinion on "Distributed Smalltalk Survival Guide"

6. Expert Guide v0.05 - Norton Guide Reader For Linux

7. Expert Guide - Norton Guide Reader For Linux

8. REALbasic: The Definitive Guide - When will Matt finish a new book?

9. Definitive list of APL texts..

10. Definitive 370/390 assembler book?

11. The definitive Clipper/Dates/Y2K FAQ/HOWTO

12. Definitive PL/I texts listing..