REALBASIC Could seriously be better!
Author Message
 REALBASIC Could seriously be better!

 ?

--
" Joss, we want to help you get better. And I think you want that too. Isn't that why your writers are doing these horrible things to the show? And your enemies -- look at them. You used to create grand villains to battle against. And now what is it? Not gods or monsters. "

Wed, 22 Sep 2004 02:11:39 GMT
 REALBASIC Could seriously be better!

Quote:

>  ?

Sure. Pay RS a million dollar so say can add 10 new developer to the
team to make RS wonderfull ;-)

Mfg
Christian

--
PLZ Suche
Das neue Postleitzahlensuchprogramm

Download unter <http://plz.macsw.de>

Wed, 22 Sep 2004 03:13:00 GMT
 REALBASIC Could seriously be better!

Quote:

> ?

Life could be better. MacOSX could be better. Everything could be
better. So appreciate things for what they are.

--
Email Cleaner does convenient re-wrapping on badly wrapped emails and
newsgroup-posts. Badly wrapped lines is a problem every Internet User

Email Cleaner works from inside all of your Mac programs, from one
button click.

<www.elfdata.com/emailcleaner/>

Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:26:53 GMT
 REALBASIC Could seriously be better!
On 4/5/02 4:26 PM, in article

Quote:

> Life could be better. MacOSX could be better.

If Mac OS X was better, life would be better! Sorry, that statement almost
seems redundant. :)

Matheau Dakoske

--

Code Line Communications
http://www.code-line.com/software

Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:30:50 GMT
 REALBASIC Could seriously be better!

Quote:
> ?

What kind of statement is that???  Of course it could be better, but that
could be said about anything. Mac OSX could be better, XP could be better,
my job could be better. Care to elaborate and supply some constructive
criticism on what you feel could be better with RB?

Paul

Wed, 22 Sep 2004 10:07:41 GMT
 REALBASIC Could seriously be better!
I know:
An EditField that will work properly.  There's no bugs, but it's far too
slow to use in a shareware app, etc.  It's slow at scrollng and typing -
a bit like the fields in RB's Code Editor.

That's the only thing I wish for at the moment - RB is a brilliant app
otherwise.

Hopefully this will be fixed in say, REALbasic 4.1?  It'd be very nice!

Thank you,
Mark Bee.

Quote:

> > ?
> What kind of statement is that???  Of course it could be better, but that
> could be said about anything. Mac OSX could be better, XP could be better,
> my job could be better. Care to elaborate and supply some constructive
> criticism on what you feel could be better with RB?

Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:01:02 GMT
 REALBASIC Could seriously be better!

Quote:

>Everything could be better.

Apparently you haven't heard Oliver Nelson's tenor solo on "Stolen
Moments". :)

 - Jeff

Thu, 23 Sep 2004 00:09:12 GMT
 REALBASIC Could seriously be better!

Quote:

> > ?
> What kind of statement is that???  Of course it could be better, but that
> could be said about anything. Mac OSX could be better, XP could be better,
> my job could be better. Care to elaborate and supply some constructive
> criticism on what you feel could be better with RB?

> Paul

Its just all so inlogical! But maybe I'm just a bit spoiled because
Hypercard has had some of the things that RB should have and HC is 10
years old! like editfields, I made post about a day ago. Would it not be
so much easier if they could keep its contains? I would really like if
Real Software would stop pushing out Beta after beta and try to add a
little something to RB. Like making it easier! Would it be wrong to say
that about 90 % of all the people who are using RB are allready
programmers with C or Pascal?

But what other Tools are there for people who just want to write
programs? Revolution? Right. 10 Lines of code? Uh huh! How many people
that havent programmed before are going to understand that!

I woud have really liked to have seen Apple step up to the plate and
give us a decent Programming/Scripting tool. And now with the release of
Studio it seem more unlikely then ever.

--
" Joss, we want to help you get better. And I think you want that too. Isn't that why your writers are doing these horrible things to the show? And your enemies -- look at them. You used to create grand villains to battle against. And now what is it? Not gods or monsters. "

Thu, 23 Sep 2004 01:56:00 GMT
 REALBASIC Could seriously be better!

Quote:

> like editfields, I made post about a day ago. Would it not be so much
> easier if they could keep its contains?

Sure, it would actually be nice to have a persistent editField. I'm
pretty sure someone has written one. And anyway, you can just store
EditField.Text and EditField.TextStyleData in a file. It's not that hard
at all.

[..]

Quote:
> I woud have really liked to have seen Apple step up to the plate and give
> us a decent Programming/Scripting tool. And now with the release of Studio
> it seem more unlikely then ever.

It's a sad fact of life that you gotta learn stuff. :-)

Thu, 23 Sep 2004 03:28:40 GMT
 REALBASIC Could seriously be better!

Quote:

> like editfields, I made post about a day ago. Would it not be
> so much easier if they could keep its contains?

Why should it?  It's a programming tool.  It's not HyperCard.
REALbasic and HyperCard should not be compared, they are different
things.

How hard is it to save the contents of an EditField?  Here you go, I
give you the code for free:

  dim f as FolderItem

  f = DesktopFolder.Child("Some text.txt")
  if f <> nil then
    f.SaveStyledEditField(EditField1)
  end if

How hard was that?

Quote:
> I would really like if
> Real Software would stop pushing out Beta after beta and try to add a
> little something to RB. Like making it easier!

Good God, how much easier can it get?  I've been programming for more
than 20 years.  I've used HyperCard, BASIC, Modula-2 (I think it's 2),
Pascal, C, C++, AppleScript, and a little fortran and SQL.  NOTHING
I've tried is as easy as REALbasic!

Perhaps you might like to be specific about what you don't like, other
than the fact that it doesn't save the contents of your EditFields for
you.

Quote:
> I woud have really liked to have seen Apple step up to the plate and
> give us a decent Programming/Scripting tool. And now with the release of
> Studio it seem more unlikely then ever.

Between Apple and a number of other companies, including REALsoftware,
you have PLENTY of decent programming tools.  And Apple's tools are
free!  I don't understand what else you want, unless it's the ability
to write a program without actually doing any work.

I can't believe I just defended you to Matt Neuberg.  I should've read
ahead a little.  Sorry, Matt!

Thu, 23 Sep 2004 03:31:43 GMT
 REALBASIC Could seriously be better!

Quote:
> Why should it?  It's a programming tool.  It's not HyperCard.
> REALbasic and HyperCard should not be compared, they are different
> things.

<sigh> Yeay?

Quote:
> How hard is it to save the contents of an EditField?  Here you go, I
> give you the code for free:

>   dim f as FolderItem

>   f = DesktopFolder.Child("Some text.txt")
>   if f <> nil then
>     f.SaveStyledEditField(EditField1)
>   end if

> How hard was that?

Not hard. And I thank you for the help. See! This helps, this is good!
Thank you really much.

Quote:
> > I would really like if
> > Real Software would stop pushing out Beta after beta and try to add a
> > little something to RB. Like making it easier!

> Good God, how much easier can it get?  I've been programming for more
> than 20 years.  I've used HyperCard, BASIC, Modula-2 (I think it's 2),
> Pascal, C, C++, AppleScript, and a little Fortran and SQL.  NOTHING
> I've tried is as easy as REALbasic!

20 years? Against my 5 in HC? See, I could understand that RB is really
easy if you programmed in Fotran but if all you have ever used is HC
then RB comes off a little... daunting.

Quote:

> Perhaps you might like to be specific about what you don't like, other
> than the fact that it doesn't save the contents of your EditFields for
> you.

Its more the general feeling. An opening if you will.

Quote:

> > I woud have really liked to have seen Apple step up to the plate and
> > give us a decent Programming/Scripting tool. And now with the release of
> > Studio it seem more unlikely then ever.

> Between Apple and a number of other companies, including REALsoftware,
> you have PLENTY of decent programming tools.  And Apple's tools are
> free!  I don't understand what else you want, unless it's the ability
> to write a program without actually doing any work.

Read about that IBM program that can create "complex" linux programs
with only using HTML? That would be nice. And as for Apple's Tools...
Its like a A-bom while all I need is a Plastic bag.

Quote:
> I can't believe I just defended you to Matt Neuberg.  I should've read
> ahead a little.  Sorry, Matt!

Pretty sure he'll forgive you.

--
" Joss, we want to help you get better. And I think you want that too. Isn't that why your writers are doing these horrible things to the show? And your enemies -- look at them. You used to create grand villains to battle against. And now what is it? Not gods or monsters. "

Thu, 23 Sep 2004 08:14:19 GMT
 REALBASIC Could seriously be better!

Quote:

> Its just all so inlogical! But maybe I'm just a bit spoiled because
> Hypercard has had some of the things that RB should have and HC is 10
> years old! like editfields, I made post about a day ago. Would it not be
> so much easier if they could keep its contains? I would really like if
> Real Software would stop pushing out Beta after beta and try to add a
> little something to RB. Like making it easier! Would it be wrong to say
> that about 90 % of all the people who are using RB are allready
> programmers with C or Pascal?

> But what other Tools are there for people who just want to write
> programs? Revolution? Right. 10 Lines of code? Uh huh! How many people
> that havent programmed before are going to understand that!

> I woud have really liked to have seen Apple step up to the plate and
> give us a decent Programming/Scripting tool. And now with the release of
> Studio it seem more unlikely then ever.

Servaas,

I really think you're too harsh on REALbasic here. Although hypercard was a
great tool at the time, it also had severe limitations. Some of the most
beautiful things of REALbasic are not very obvious when you start with it.
It takes some effort to appreciate them, but I can assure you it is well
worth this effort. To mention one thing, being a Pascal programmer myself it
took me some time to really grasp the power of subclasses and inheritance
(not everybody is a genius), but once I did it made live as a programmer
much easier.

Happy coding.

Eric.

Fri, 24 Sep 2004 20:48:21 GMT
 REALBASIC Could seriously be better!

Quote:

> 06-04-2002 19:56:
>> Its just all so inlogical! But maybe I'm just a bit spoiled because
>> Hypercard has had some of the things that RB should have and HC is 10
>> years old! like editfields, I made post about a day ago. Would it not
>> be so much easier if they could keep its contains? I would really
>> like if Real Software would stop pushing out Beta after beta and try
>> to add a little something to RB. Like making it easier! Would it be
>> wrong to say that about 90 % of all the people who are using RB are
>> allready programmers with C or Pascal?

Storing data in editfields will lead to bad programming. Where should
the data be stored? What if a programmer doesn't want it stored there?
What if a programmer doesn't want it stored at all? What if he wants to
store it in his own format? What if he wants to place the data inside a
single file, along with all his other data?

Do you see how doing this automatically for you will lead to bad
programming?

If RB can do it natively, then it can be done with RB code. So just
create a module that automatically saves an editfield to a file then.
That way you only code it once, and then just pass your editfield to
your method and have it done for you.

--
Email Cleaner does convenient re-wrapping on badly wrapped emails and
newsgroup-posts. Badly wrapped lines is a problem every Internet User
comes across, Email Cleaner solves it! It also has many other features.

Email Cleaner works from inside all of your Mac programs, from one
button click.

<www.elfdata.com/emailcleaner/>

Fri, 24 Sep 2004 21:45:23 GMT
 REALBASIC Could seriously be better!

Quote:

> > ?
> What kind of statement is that???  Of course it could be better, but that
> could be said about anything. Mac OSX could be better, XP could be better,
> my job could be better. Care to elaborate and supply some constructive
> criticism on what you feel could be better with RB?

Personnaly, I think RB is great. However, I really do not like the way bugs
are fixed. For example, with RB 4.0.2, I regularly get the infamous
"failed assertion compile.cpp:746". The bug has been fixed in 4.5a* but
not in 4.0.2. As far as I know, the official release if 4.0 not 4.5 and I
suppose I'll have to pay to get 4.5. And 4.5 introduces many changes
(for example in the control hierarchy), so, at present, i am not willing to
use that version. Conclusion, developping under MacOS X is a real pain.

So ok to add new features to RB, but please fixes the bugs first (such
as this one and the window/floating window bug [bug 79911]).

Francois Menneteau - Software Engineer, MIPSYS
Technoparc du Griffon - Bat 10
511, route de la Seds
13127 Vitrolles
Tel: +33 04 42 46 77 50 - Fax: +33 04 42 46 77 59

Sun, 26 Sep 2004 17:55:33 GMT
 REALBASIC Could seriously be better!

<snip>

Quote:
> Storing data in editfields will lead to bad programming. Where should
> the data be stored? What if a programmer doesn't want it stored there?
> What if a programmer doesn't want it stored at all? What if he wants to
> store it in his own format? What if he wants to place the data inside a
> single file, along with all his other data?

> Do you see how doing this automatically for you will lead to bad
> programming?

Maybe if they would inplant it now, but if from the start they would
have made this possible then everybody would use it.

Quote:
> If RB can do it natively, then it can be done with RB code. So just
> create a module that automatically saves an editfield to a file then.
> That way you only code it once, and then just pass your editfield to
> your method and have it done for you.

Okay. Good point. But still I just think its dumb of some people on this
board to say that RB is easy for a beginner. While in fact they have
been programming for XX years!

And maybe your right. RB is easy once you get the hang of it. But to do
that you need example's or tutorials. And I have been watching this
newsgroup for some time and have not seen a single piece of code for a
newbie like me. Weird.

--
Don't worry. Info's free.

Mon, 27 Sep 2004 02:26:12 GMT

 [ 18 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Read any good Realbasic books lately?

2. REALbasic -- how good is it?

3. Sound in RealBasic 4 Prof. (er, RealBasic)

4. Matching Data Types between RealBasic and the RealBasic Database

5. realbasic to excel/realbasic vers excel

6. I am just learning verilog any good books or websites

7. I am not deaf, but am I mute?

8. This seriously cracked me up about Languages

9. Seriously corrupted TPS file and TPSfix

10. China taking software piracy seriously...

11. The new hidden codes (do not take this seriously)

12. anyone seriously programming graphical?