Adding menu to mac "system tray" 
Author Message
 Adding menu to mac "system tray"

I want to make a background app that places an icon on the menu bar
that's always visible much like the windows system tray. I'm using
AppTyper to make my REALBasic application a system extension, but I
haven't found a way to add the icon to the menu bar. Anybody know of a
plugin or something that can do this?

Thanx

--

http://www.*-*-*.com/



Wed, 16 Jul 2003 07:00:24 GMT  
 Adding menu to mac "system tray"

Quote:

> I want to make a background app that places an icon on the menu bar
> that's always visible much like the windows system tray.

Evil evil evil!

Quote:
> I'm using AppTyper to make my REALBasic application a system extension, but I
> haven't found a way to add the icon to the menu bar. Anybody know of a
> plugin or something that can do this?

I certainly hope not.  The reasons this is a horrible thing to do would
fill several pages.

- Joe

--
,------------------------------------------------------------------.
|    Joseph J. Strout         Check out the Mac Web Directory:     |

`------------------------------------------------------------------'



Wed, 16 Jul 2003 07:52:27 GMT  
 Adding menu to mac "system tray"

Thank you Joe, that was very helpful. I'll just tell my client that they
are "evil evil evil" and I'm sure they'll understand completely.

Quote:



> > I want to make a background app that places an icon on the menu bar
> > that's always visible much like the windows system tray.

> Evil evil evil!

> > I'm using AppTyper to make my REALBasic application a system extension, but I
> > haven't found a way to add the icon to the menu bar. Anybody know of a
> > plugin or something that can do this?

> I certainly hope not.  The reasons this is a horrible thing to do would
> fill several pages.

> - Joe

> --
> ,------------------------------------------------------------------.
> |    Joseph J. Strout         Check out the Mac Web Directory:     |

> `------------------------------------------------------------------'

--

http://www.silencegreys.com/extension/


Wed, 16 Jul 2003 08:20:13 GMT  
 Adding menu to mac "system tray"

Quote:

> I want to make a background app that places an icon on the menu bar
> that's always visible much like the windows system tray. I'm using
> AppTyper to make my REALBasic application a system extension, but I
> haven't found a way to add the icon to the menu bar. Anybody know of a
> plugin or something that can do this?

1. you should not add systemwide menus
2. you should prever to make a control-strip modul
3. Thank you for using App Typer ;-)

if you need it really:

1. there was code around on the webring
2. there is a SDK for control strips on the webring

Mfg
Christian

--
Achtung, ich bin in den n?chsten 3 Wochen auf einem Lehrgang
und kann nur unregelm??ig meine Emails beantworten.

http://www.christians-software.de



Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:32:06 GMT  
 Adding menu to mac "system tray"

Quote:

> Thank you Joe, that was very helpful. I'll just tell my client that they
> are "evil evil evil" and I'm sure they'll understand completely.

I should hope so.  If they ask what you suggest instead, suggest a
Control Strip Module, which is the correct way to serve that need.
(And not evil since (1) it can be hidden when it's not wanted, and (2)
CSMs can be easily removed if they're never wanted at all.)

You can make a CSM to work with a REALbasic app with REAL Control
Strip, which you should be able to find via the Made With REALbasic
pages.

Good luck,
- Joe

--
,------------------------------------------------------------------.
|    Joseph J. Strout         Check out the Mac Web Directory:     |

`------------------------------------------------------------------'



Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:01:17 GMT  
 
 [ 6 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Adding "browse" to system menus

2. "Standard" Windows Mac OS X Menu

3. Control of System Menu "X"

4. IBM system 370 system call "DMXINV"

5. string.join(["Tk 4.2p2", "Python 1.4", "Win32", "free"], "for")

6. How to add icon to system tray

7. "Advanced" Shortcuts menu items

8. VSW: an "add:" replacement for SortedCollections

9. In the "Menu" window (funny)

10. Adding a "control" to a procedure

11. Setting "checked" property on menu item

12. Implementing "Bookmark" menu

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software