Global floating palette
Author Message
 Global floating palette

I designed an application with a global floating palette. When certain
applications are in the foreground, my palette works just fine (e.g.,
simpletext). But, when other applications are more trouble. For example,
when MSWord is in the foreground, pressing on the palette works most of the
time, but not always. And when Filemaker Pro is in the foreground my palette
almost never works, and you definitely can't drag the palette. I assume that
this is due to some uncivilized behavior by the offending applications. Is
that right? Is there any sort of workaround?

    - Bruce

Bruce Sherin
Assistant Professor
School of Education and Social Policy
Northwestern University

Sun, 07 Dec 2003 03:35:56 GMT
 Global floating palette

Quote:
> I designed an application with a global floating palette. When certain
> applications are in the foreground, my palette works just fine (e.g.,
> simpletext). But, when other applications are more trouble. For example,
> when MSWord is in the foreground, pressing on the palette works most of the
> time, but not always. And when Filemaker Pro is in the foreground my palette
> almost never works, and you definitely can't drag the palette. I assume that
> this is due to some uncivilized behavior by the offending applications. Is
> that right? Is there any sort of workaround?

> - Bruce

> Bruce Sherin
> Assistant Professor
> School of Education and Social Policy
> Northwestern University

Are you refering to Global Floating Windows, I assume you are. Anyway, the
troubles your having are due the limitation of the Mac OS itself. My app
uses a GFW and it doesn't respond most of the time when I use Internet
Explorer. But they have been improved since version2 and now much better.

See ya :-)

-------------------------
Chris Willis

-------------------------

Sun, 07 Dec 2003 04:56:43 GMT

1. Floating Tool Palette

2. compilation error creating a floating palette

3. Keydown in Global floating window

4. Global floating window bug?

5. Global floating window

6. Global Floating Windows under OS X

7. Global Floating Windows

8. backdrop in global floating window

9. Global Floating Window is not closable in System Extension

10. Activating parent application from a global float

11. Global Floating window question.

12. Global Floating Windows