Newbie RealBasic Questions
Author Message
 Newbie RealBasic Questions

Hey everyone,

I have owned a couple of older Macs before and have played with the
RealBasic demo of 2.1, but I am now ready to seriously learn the language on
the new Mac machine I have ordered.. I have a couple of questions before I
dive in:

1.> Do you have to purchase the commercial version before using the 3.0
alpha?
2.> If answer to first question is no, should I wait for 3.0 to purchase RB?
3.> Is the book "RealBasic - The Definitive Guide" obsolete with 3.0?
4.> What other resources would you recommend for a RB newbie?

Thanks in advance.. I look forward to getting started.. :-)

Best regards,
Steve J. Planck

Wed, 30 Apr 2003 13:13:08 GMT
 Newbie RealBasic Questions

Quote:
> 1.> Do you have to purchase the commercial version before using the 3.0
> alpha?

The 2.0 serial will work with the alphas.
Later you'll have to upgrade to 3.0.
Or you wait for 3.0 to buy it.

Quote:
> 2.> If answer to first question is no, should I wait for 3.0 to purchase RB?

No.

Quote:
> 3.> Is the book "RealBasic - The Definitive Guide" obsolete with 3.0?

No. 90% is still true.

Quote:
> 4.> What other resources would you recommend for a RB newbie?

This newsgroup and the mailing lists.
The Webring.

Mfg
Christian

--
Fr Newbies sollte es MacSoup auf Rezept geben: W?hrend Windoof-User
sich wegen ellenlanger Sigs oder Zitatzeilen bekriegen, ist man mit

Wed, 30 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie RealBasic Questions
Any particular part of this book that no longer applies with 3.0? What
specifically has changed since 2.1?
Quote:
> > 3.> Is the book "RealBasic - The Definitive Guide" obsolete with 3.0?

> No. 90% is still true.

Wed, 30 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie RealBasic Questions

Quote:
> Any particular part of this book that no longer applies with 3.0? What
> specifically has changed since 2.1?

e.g. the SpriteSurface.
And the book of course does not include everything newer than RB 2.0.
Alle 3.0 features are missing and some workarounds from Matt are no
longer needed.

Mfg
Christian

--
"Wir streiken" - Ihre Random Signatures

Wed, 30 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Newbie RealBasic Questions

Quote:

> 1.> Do you have to purchase the commercial version before using the 3.0
> alpha?

No.

Quote:
> 2.> If answer to first question is no, should I wait for 3.0 to purchase RB?

No, if you buy 2.1 now, you get 3.0 for free.  So you're really buying
3.0 early, but till it comes out you also get to use 2.1!

Cheers,
-- Joe

Fri, 02 May 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. newbie REALbasic question (random numbers)

2. Newbie Question: Realbasic Question

3. newbie question - what is realbasic - from a windows programmer

4. REALBasic newbie question: structs and pointers?

5. RealBasic Newbie Questions

7. Newbie to REALbasic -- want to make nslookup program

8. Newbie in Realbasic 4 needs help

9. Sound in RealBasic 4 Prof. (er, RealBasic)

10. Matching Data Types between RealBasic and the RealBasic Database

11. realbasic to excel/realbasic vers excel

12. Not a newbie, but a newbie question...