REALbasic: The Definitive Guide - When will Matt finish a new book?
Author Message
 REALbasic: The Definitive Guide - When will Matt finish a new book?

Hi Matt, and fellow REALbasic programmers,

Will we shortly see the birth of a new, even more definitive guide to an
ever evolving REALbasic? It seems there are so many more things we can do
with the language that needs explanation.

Richard.

Fri, 30 Jan 2004 18:30:02 GMT
 REALbasic: The Definitive Guide - When will Matt finish a new book?

Quote:

> Will we shortly see the birth of a new, even more definitive guide to an
> ever evolving REALbasic?

Think a bit!
Realbasic 3.5 will come around end of month.
I think Matt will add all 3.5 features to the book and have it ready
when 3.5 ships.

mfg
Christian

--
PLZ Suche
Das neue Postleitzahlensuchprogramm

Vertrieb ber Arktis (www.arktis.de)

Fri, 30 Jan 2004 18:51:02 GMT
 REALbasic: The Definitive Guide - When will Matt finish a new book?

Quote:

>> Will we shortly see the birth of a new, even more definitive guide to an
>> ever evolving REALbasic?

> Think a bit!
> Realbasic 3.5 will come around end of month.
> I think Matt will add all 3.5 features to the book and have it ready
> when 3.5 ships.

> mfg
> Christian

Well, in fact I WAS thinking, and I thought I ask it here instead of
searching the web to find the answer. I expected something like: "hey you
dumb, it is in your local shop already", but it seems this is not the case
yet. I will wait and see when it arrives in my country (or even better: when
a webstore has it so I can get it before the local shops wake up and start
thinking about selling it).

Freundliche Grusse indeed, Christian.

Fri, 30 Jan 2004 20:57:35 GMT
 REALbasic: The Definitive Guide - When will Matt finish a new book?

Quote:

> > Will we shortly see the birth of a new, even more definitive guide to an
> > ever evolving REALbasic?

> Think a bit!
> Realbasic 3.5 will come around end of month.
> I think Matt will add all 3.5 features to the book and have it ready
> when 3.5 ships.

The first draft was finished in April, but then it takes a long time for
O'Reilly (the publisher) to have it technically reviewed, copyedited,
etc., etc.

I did recently try to have the book take 3.5 into account, but the
publishers wouldn't let me make changes of that size. So the book covers
3.2.1 (which, as of today, is still the official shipping version), and
we'll just put up some online supplements to cover changes.

m.

--

*** REALbasic, The Definitive Guide! ***
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/realbasic/

Fri, 30 Jan 2004 22:39:35 GMT
 REALbasic: The Definitive Guide - When will Matt finish a new book?
This is somewhat OT....

Quote:

> Think a bit!
> Realbasic 3.5 will come around end of month.
> I think Matt will add all 3.5 features to the book and have it ready
> when 3.5 ships.

As we have seen from the author's subsequent post, this is not the case
which makes your post not only rude but inaccurate.

You know, not to berate anyone here (and I'm certainly not aiming this
comment directly at you, Christian) but I've lurked and participated in
a lot of programming newsgroups covering a variety of topics and --
have to be honest -- this one seems to draw out the most sarcastic and
smart-aleck remarks. It's definitely the first programming group where
I've seen "RTFM" posted. A relaxed and less sarcastic atmosphere
benefits everyone. (Just IMHO.) It may seem like I'm screaming "fire"
in a crowded theater, but if you've ever participated in a newsgroup
that started down this path, you'd know why I'm mentioning it. It goes
downhill fast.

Expecting a certain level of civility and kindness is always a good
thing.

Sat, 31 Jan 2004 02:12:47 GMT
 REALbasic: The Definitive Guide - When will Matt finish a new book?

First of all: please calm down, all together.

Quote:
> It's definitely the first programming group where
> I've seen "RTFM" posted.

Oh well, all this is a matter of reception, I think. I consider a
programming newsgroup a place to discuss _advanced_ topics, not basic
(no pun intended) questions covered by the docs/tutorials.

Quote:
> A relaxed and less sarcastic atmosphere
> benefits everyone. (Just IMHO.)

Totally agreed - that's why I'm posting this.

Quote:
> It may seem like I'm screaming "fire"
> in a crowded theater, but if you've ever participated in a newsgroup
> that started down this path, you'd know why I'm mentioning it. It goes
> downhill fast.

Increasing the "signal/noise-ratio" is the downhill-path, IMHO. Frankly,
"RTFM" came to my mind more than once. I'd rather have Matt writing
books and Joe fixing bugs (definitively *not* vice versa...) than
reading/answering "RTFM"-questions.

However, don't we know them well ? Ignore what you can afford to ignore
and disregard the rest ;^)

Cheers and PCTDBP,

Knut

P.S.: Exactly: "Please consult the documentation before posting".

Sat, 31 Jan 2004 04:18:05 GMT
 REALbasic: The Definitive Guide - When will Matt finish a new book?
Drat. Should be

Decreasing the "signal/noise-ratio"

of course. Not my mother-tongue, sorry.

Quote:

> First of all: please calm down, all together.

> > It's definitely the first programming group where
> > I've seen "RTFM" posted.

> Oh well, all this is a matter of reception, I think. I consider a
> programming newsgroup a place to discuss _advanced_ topics, not basic
> (no pun intended) questions covered by the docs/tutorials.

> > A relaxed and less sarcastic atmosphere
> > benefits everyone. (Just IMHO.)

> Totally agreed - that's why I'm posting this.

> > It may seem like I'm screaming "fire"
> > in a crowded theater, but if you've ever participated in a newsgroup
> > that started down this path, you'd know why I'm mentioning it. It goes
> > downhill fast.

> Increasing the "signal/noise-ratio" is the downhill-path, IMHO. Frankly,
> "RTFM" came to my mind more than once. I'd rather have Matt writing
> books and Joe fixing bugs (definitively *not* vice versa...) than
> reading/answering "RTFM"-questions.

> However, don't we know them well ? Ignore what you can afford to ignore
> and disregard the rest ;^)

> Cheers and PCTDBP,

> Knut

> P.S.: Exactly: "Please consult the documentation before posting".

Sat, 31 Jan 2004 05:53:56 GMT
 REALbasic: The Definitive Guide - When will Matt finish a new book?

Quote:

>It's definitely the first programming group where
>I've seen "RTFM" posted.

Although I don't condone that attitude in general, I gotta admit that
it's refreshing to see an RTFM every now and then. Sure, it's a drag when
a newsgroup heads down the path of holier-than-thou snobbishness. It's
also a drag when it's flooded with questions from people too lazy to type
command-1.

Is there a more tactful way to point that out to the poster? Yup. But
let's face it, sometimes they really do need to dust off the FM and R it.

 - Jeff

Sat, 31 Jan 2004 09:28:56 GMT
 REALbasic: The Definitive Guide - When will Matt finish a new book?

Quote:

> sometimes they really do need to dust off the FM and R it.

LOL! True.

I posted here a while back asking why this group doesn't have an FAQ
which will become more and more necessary as the group gathers more
traffic and RB becomes more popular (which I have no doubt it will.)

For a variety of reasons, people may not be able to find info that they
need in any given manual or reference. A freely downloadable and
occasionally posted FAQ wouldn't be a bad idea.

When I posted about it originally, I had a lot of spare time and would
have been able to start the FAQ myself, but that's since changed.

Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:32:04 GMT
 REALbasic: The Definitive Guide - When will Matt finish a new book?
<snip>
Quote:
> I did recently try to have the book take 3.5 into account, but the
> publishers wouldn't let me make changes of that size. So the book covers
> 3.2.1 (which, as of today, is still the official shipping version), and
> we'll just put up some online supplements to cover changes.

<snip>

Some good PDF supplements would be great!

Tue, 03 Feb 2004 05:41:49 GMT

1. realbasic definitive guide and version 4

2. RealBasic - the definitive guide 3

3. RB3 and The Definitive Guide

4. Definitive Guide - Opinions?

5. Is there a definitive Tcl style guide?

6. New Book: The Designer's Guide to VHDL

7. New Book: Designer's Guide to VHDL

8. New Book: CVF - A Guide to Creating Windows Applications

9. Help with Matt's Book

10. sample code for Matt Neuburg's book?

11. Matt's Book

12. Definitive 370/390 assembler book?