Disable Screen Updating
Author Message
 Disable Screen Updating

Is there an easy way to disable screen updating for an entire window
or control within that window? I have a few arrays that contain
thousands of items and I need to get the information from those arrays
into a listbox. Using the AddRow method is painful because the listbox
is updating in the background.

In the .Net frameworks for example you have Form.ListBox.SuspendLayout
and Form.ListBox.ResumeLayout (and global methods), and most platforms
have some form of listbox <-> array data binding. I haven't found a
way to do this in RB but I'm sure someone has a trick up their sleeve.

Tue, 22 Nov 2005 05:04:20 GMT
 Disable Screen Updating

Quote:

> Is there an easy way to disable screen updating for an entire window
> or control within that window? I have a few arrays that contain
> thousands of items and I need to get the information from those arrays
> into a listbox. Using the AddRow method is painful because the listbox
> is updating in the background.

listbox.visible=false
... do stuff ...
listbox.visible=true

Mfg
Christian

--
Four thousand functions in one REALbasic plug-in. The MBS Plugin.

<http://www.monkeybreadsoftware.de/realbasic/plugins.html>

Tue, 22 Nov 2005 05:39:54 GMT
 Disable Screen Updating

Quote:
> Is there an easy way to disable screen updating for an entire window
> or control within that window? I have a few arrays that contain
> thousands of items and I need to get the information from those arrays
> into a listbox. Using the AddRow method is painful because the listbox
> is updating in the background.

There's a trick you can do that will speed it up dramatically.  The only
problem is, it kinda looks silly when you run it - but you can get round
that with some fancy temp graphics..

Basically, all you do is make your list box invisible (LB1.Visible = False)
before you process your array, then when it's finished make it visible
again.

I added a couple of extra lines at both before and after stages to draw a
temporary "Processing" message to the window's graphics first.  You could
even use the Window.DrawInto method before you make the ListBox invisible to
take a snapshot of the ListBox and put in in place of the real one to make
it look as if it never disappeared.  That would be cool!

--
Charlie Boisseau

Tue, 22 Nov 2005 06:30:03 GMT

1. Disabling Print Screen Key

2. How to disable popup screen in Windows?

3. Disabling Splash Screen

4. How to Disable Toolbar Update buttons

5. Disabling buttons, etc. on Insert or Update

6. Enable/disable update buttons

7. disable scale drag update

8. Do I need TO disable Norton Anti=Virus Wnen I'm going to install updates

9. Incomplete screen updates

10. cw2003 update screen

11. Wallpaper on update screen

12. Update Screen with browse