Plug-ins
Author Message
 Plug-ins

Has anyone developed plug-ins with Apple development tools on OS-X?  It
seems that the current line of thought is that if RB does not have it then
build a plug-in.  That currently means buying CW, a competing product.  Why
not just use Apple's development tools to develop the plug-in?

Am I missing something?

Steve

Fri, 05 Nov 2004 01:06:03 GMT
 Plug-ins

Quote:

> Has anyone developed plug-ins with Apple development tools on OS-X?

Currently impossible because CW can't create Code Ressources.

Mfg
Christian

--
MacUser aus dem Raum Koblenz-Andernach

Fri, 05 Nov 2004 01:07:59 GMT
 Plug-ins

Quote:

>> Has anyone developed plug-ins with Apple development tools on OS-X?

> Currently impossible because CW can't create Code Ressources.

Did you mean to say Apple Development tools can't create Code Resources???

Steve

Quote:
> Mfg
> Christian

Fri, 05 Nov 2004 01:13:26 GMT
 Plug-ins

Quote:

> Did you mean to say Apple Development tools can't create Code Resources???

If it didn't changed in latest release it should still be this way.

Mfg
Christian

--
PLZ Suche
Das einzige Postleitzahlensuchprogramm fr Mac OS

Download unter <http://plz.macsw.de>

Fri, 05 Nov 2004 01:15:49 GMT
 Plug-ins

Quote:

> Has anyone developed plug-ins with Apple development tools on OS-X?  It
> seems that the current line of thought is that if RB does not have it then
> build a plug-in.  That currently means buying CW, a competing product.  Why
> not just use Apple's development tools to develop the plug-in?

Because Apple doesn't make any development tools capable of producing
CFM shared libraries.  (Well, unless you count MPW, which will work but
it's hard to use and no longer supported by Apple.)

Cheers,
- Joe

Fri, 05 Nov 2004 03:04:28 GMT
 Plug-ins

Quote:

> PM:

> >> Has anyone developed plug-ins with Apple development tools on OS-X?

> > Currently impossible because CW can't create Code Ressources.

> Did you mean to say Apple Development tools can't create Code Resources???

Yes, that's the truth.

But there's hope... If you don't mind the learning curve, Peter Robinson
has made a kit for using Macintosh Programmer's Workshop (MPW) to create
plugins.

<http://homepage.mac.com/pmrobinson/>

Fri, 05 Nov 2004 04:02:45 GMT
 Plug-ins

Quote:

> > Did you mean to say Apple Development tools can't create Code Resources???

> Yes, that's the truth.

> But there's hope... If you don't mind the learning curve, Peter Robinson
> has made a kit for using Macintosh Programmer's Workshop (MPW) to create
> plugins.

> <http://homepage.mac.com/pmrobinson/>

Thank you---I was just about to suggest that myself :)

It may be worth pointing out, in case the OP was concerned about the
cost, that MPW is a free download from Apple (about 20MB).  However, if
you are not used to a command line and you have no experience with MPW,
you might find it difficult at first, although there is plenty of help
available on Apple's mpw-dev mailing list.

--

Fri, 05 Nov 2004 07:18:34 GMT

1. help -- creating FileMaker plug-ins with REALbasic

2. Wanted: plug-ins

3. DECLARES, Libs, Shared Libaries, plug-ins, etc.

4. Writing plug-ins?

5. Plug-ins SDK

6. Application plug-ins

7. Plug-ins and App Size