old BASIC to REAL BASIC ?
Author Message
 old BASIC to REAL BASIC ?

Hello,

I am taking a class in programming and the instructor whom is old likes
to use the old ibmPC basic. This isn't very fun for me a mac user.  So I
was wondering does RealBasic support ALL the old DOSbasic commands? That
way I could build my apps in RealBasic and actually have something to
show for them. Alot of the examples in the help text don't work even
when I drag and drop them into the app window where they are supposed to
go?

Thanks,
Marcus

Tue, 26 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 old BASIC to REAL BASIC ?

Quote:
>Hello,

>I am taking a class in programming and the instructor whom is old likes
>to use the old ibmPC basic. This isn't very fun for me a mac user.  So I
>was wondering does RealBasic support ALL the old DOSbasic commands? That
>way I could build my apps in RealBasic and actually have something to
>show for them. Alot of the examples in the help text don't work even
>when I drag and drop them into the app window where they are supposed to
>go?

You could try the freeware "Object Basic" which supports an old mode.
Try www.redplanet.com
I think that's the right URL.

M a c ulation

Wed, 27 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 old BASIC to REAL BASIC ?
Speaking of old BASIC commands, am I the only one that misses DATA and READ?

I had the perfect use for them the other day, and was forced to decide
whether to put my data into a file and read it from disk every time the app
started, or to manually type 256 lines of Varible(0)=12, Varible(1)=-23, etc,
etc.  Yuck.

Wed, 27 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 old BASIC to REAL BASIC ?

Quote:

> Speaking of old BASIC commands, am I the only one that misses DATA and READ?

> I had the perfect use for them the other day, and was forced to decide
> whether to put my data into a file and read it from disk every time the app
> started, or to manually type 256 lines of Varible(0)=12, Varible(1)=-23, etc,
> etc.  Yuck.

Use constants for this. Supposedly some future verson of RB will let you
import constants from a text file by drag + drop.

Wed, 27 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 old BASIC to REAL BASIC ?

Quote:

> > Speaking of old BASIC commands, am I the only one that misses DATA and
READ?

> > I had the perfect use for them the other day, and was forced to decide
> > whether to put my data into a file and read it from disk every time the
> > app started, or to manually type 256 lines of Varible(0)=12,
> > Varible(1)=-23, etc, etc.  Yuck.

> Use constants for this. Supposedly some future verson of RB will let you
> import constants from a text file by drag + drop.

The RB 2.1alphas let you use the clipboard for transfering data to
constants.

Christian

--
Kostenlose MacOS und Win95/98/NT Programme unter
http://home.t-online.de/home/Christians_Software

Wed, 27 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 old BASIC to REAL BASIC ?

Quote:

>> > Speaking of old BASIC commands, am I the only one that misses DATA and
>READ?

>> > I had the perfect use for them the other day, and was forced to decide
>> > whether to put my data into a file and read it from disk every time the
>> > app started, or to manually type 256 lines of Varible(0)=12,
>> > Varible(1)=-23, etc, etc.  Yuck.

>> Use constants for this. Supposedly some future verson of RB will let you
>> import constants from a text file by drag + drop.
>The RB 2.1alphas let you use the clipboard for transfering data to
>constants.

Another possibility is to stick your data in a resource, and include
this in the resource fork of your app.

--

Steven

(Please reverse the country code for email replies.)

Wed, 27 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 old BASIC to REAL BASIC ?

Quote:
>Another possibility is to stick your data in a resource, and include
>this in the resource fork of your app.

But then I could'nt cross compile to Windows, right?

Thu, 28 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 old BASIC to REAL BASIC ?

Quote:

> >Another possibility is to stick your data in a resource, and include
> >this in the resource fork of your app.

> But then I could'nt cross compile to Windows, right?

nope. but windows has enough software already, don't you think? ;)

(it would be really neat if RB would convert mac resource calls into some
kind of windows file format/registry thing)

Thu, 28 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 old BASIC to REAL BASIC ?

Quote:
>> But then I could'nt cross compile to Windows, right?

>nope. but windows has enough software already, don't you think? ;)

LOL!

Actually, it is vitally necessary that my application be cross-platform
compatable.  It's a highly specialized application, with zero mass appeal.

--Snowgen

Thu, 28 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Please help Visual Basic Programer with simple read/write text file routine---Real Basic 2.1

2. Visual basic or real basic?

3. Switching to Real Basic from Visual Basic?

4. Device Driver: from Apple III BASIC to IBM BASIC

5. UNIBASIC, PIC BASIC or Business Basic

6. Power Basic CC vs Power Basic for DOS

7. Basicly a basic BASIC

8. LabView course basic 1 and basic 2

9. Basic and Basic->C converter wanted

10. Basicly a basic BASIC

11. BASIC VS. TURBO-BASIC

12. BASIC to C translator wanted (or BASIC interpreter)