REALbasic plugins website!
Author Message
 REALbasic plugins website!

Hello everyone!

I am creating a website that will allow you to search and download
REALbasic plugins. Currently, it's still in development but I am
working {*filter*} it.

if you are creating a plugin or have already created plugins, please
let me know. If you already have created a plugin, I most likely
already have it in my database.

Feel free to check out the site and give me and error reports
(currently, search results link to the author's site. I will have a
viewing page up shortly). Also, search results display whether the
plugin is Carbon compatible or Windows compatible. I am working on
adding a PowerPC compatible column (most likely not a 68K column).

http://www.*-*-*.com/

(In the future I may buy a domain)

Kevin

Wed, 22 Sep 2004 21:40:56 GMT
 REALbasic plugins website!

Quote:

> http://www.kainjow.com/rbplugins/

1. My MBS Plugin does Classic, too.
2. Your webpage fills only 1/5th of the window area
3. What can I type to find something?

Mfg
Christian

--
Wenn ueber irgend eine dumme Sache Gras gewachsen ist,
kommt bestimmt ein Kamel an und frisst es wieder weg.

Wed, 22 Sep 2004 21:48:10 GMT
 REALbasic plugins website!

Quote:

>2. Your webpage fills only 1/5th of the window area

Although that depends on how your browser window is sized, doesn't it? :)

Frankly, I'm glad to see a website that doesn't assume you're running in
a particular screen resolution and/or window size. The small design
bothers me far less than his use of "click here", but that's another rant.

Of course, if you were going to code something purposefully tiny, it
would be nice if the whole thing was centered, rather than up in the
upper-left corner. It would be even better if the sizes were not
hard-coded in the first place, but used percentages and such, so the site
would size to however big the window was. A depressingly small number of
sites do this these days--people think web design is like designing a
paper document.

(heavy sigh of weary resignation)

 - Jeff, whose site (shameless plug:  http://www.jeffjetton.com), simple
though it may be, does resize, by golly.

Wed, 22 Sep 2004 23:53:35 GMT
 REALbasic plugins website!
Christian:
Thank you for the update on your plugin. I am still updating the
PowerPC column in the database (that's why it says under construction
:)
Yes I know my site is small. I may redo it, but currently I'm trying
to get the database complete.

Jeff:
Yes I know my site does not use percentages in the tables. That's
because I used Adobe Illustrator to design it and then export it into
HTML with it. I'm planning on buying Adobe Golive within a few months.

Guys, you shouldn't be complaining about this site's appearance as
much as it's content. The goal of this site is to deliver plugins, not
a great UI.

Maybe I'll work on a "resizable site" for you. But I am sick of sites
that have to make your extend your browser's window to it's max.

Thanks again for the input!

Kevin

Thu, 23 Sep 2004 04:30:08 GMT
 REALbasic plugins website!

Quote:
> Guys, you shouldn't be complaining about this site's appearance as
> much as it's content. The goal of this site is to deliver plugins, not
> a great UI.

Carry on, I like the goal :)

Perhaps it would have been a good idea to not announce your service before
it is more complete, but again: carry on, it looks very promising!

Cheers,

Knut

Thu, 23 Sep 2004 07:19:23 GMT
 REALbasic plugins website!

Quote:

> Yes I know my site does not use percentages in the tables. That's
> because I used Adobe Illustrator to design it and then export it into
> HTML with it. I'm planning on buying Adobe Golive within a few months.

AI for HTML?
And than golive?

If you do so well in writing scripts why don't you just get a html book
to learn html and to write the 3 pages yourself?

And please remove all links which don't work!

Mfg
Christian

--
Mac user: "Macs only have 40 viruses, tops!"
PC user: "SEE! Not even the virus writers support Macs!"

Thu, 23 Sep 2004 08:12:07 GMT
 REALbasic plugins website!

Quote:

>Maybe I'll work on a "resizable site" for you. But I am sick of sites
>that have to make your extend your browser's window to it's max.

Oh yes, I agree 100%. If it's not going to be resizable, make it
small--that's my motto (when it comes to web pages anyway).

 - Jeff

Thu, 23 Sep 2004 14:33:18 GMT
 REALbasic plugins website!

Quote:

> If you do so well in writing scripts why don't you just get a html book
> to learn html and to write the 3 pages yourself?

I know HTML very well, it's just that I get sick of writing out all
the freakin' code. I probably will rewrite all the pages myself
sometime though.

Yes I know I announced the partial site too early, but I wanted some
feedback before it was complete.

I just finished adding the PowerPC column in the database, so all
plugins now show whether they're PowerPC, Carbon, or Windows
compatible.

Maybe, for you UI whiners, I'll make this whole thing a Sherlock
plugin ONLY. That would be much easier than a full website....

Fri, 24 Sep 2004 04:05:51 GMT
 REALbasic plugins website!

Quote:

> Maybe, for you UI whiners, I'll make this whole thing a Sherlock
> plugin ONLY. That would be much easier than a full website....

And you have to make it a little bit different.

How can I search?
If I enter "string to picture", I'd like to see my plugin because it has
such a function...

Mfg
Christian

--
PLZ Suche
Das einzige Postleitzahlensuchprogramm fr Mac OS

Download unter <http://plz.macsw.de>

Fri, 24 Sep 2004 04:14:34 GMT
 REALbasic plugins website!

Quote:
> http://www.kainjow.com/rbplugins/

1) You should make your display fill in the whole window.
2) You should tell us when your site works... it's only under
development for the moment.
3) You should add a column telling whether the plugin is Freeware,
Shareware, Commercial, OpenSource, ....

Thanks.
Courage.

Sat, 25 Sep 2004 01:19:03 GMT
 REALbasic plugins website!

Quote:
> How can I search?
> If I enter "string to picture", I'd like to see my plugin because it has
> such a function...

> Mfg
> Christian

um, well it only supports basic string searches. it searches whatever
you put in the text field in the description and name of each plugin.
so it's not fancy at all. so searching for "string" will popup your
plugin. searching for "encrypt" popups up your plugin and others. just
do really basic searches. like if you want to find a plugin that
returns a folderitem's icon, search for "icon." i could easily add a
way to search for each plugin's methods, but it takes forever to add
all the methods for each plugin (> 170) into the database. that's the
main problem.

Sat, 25 Sep 2004 04:29:00 GMT
 REALbasic plugins website!

Quote:

> i could easily add a way to search for each plugin's methods, but it takes
> forever to add all the methods for each plugin (> 170) into the database.
> that's the main problem.

You should automate that.
Maybe you make a fulltext search for the help textes.
You can integrate them in the plugin using Plugin Plunger.

Plugin Plunger to automate it.
Than you can have a folder with plugins and automatically it can extract
the declarations.

Mfg
Christian

--
Customer: I'm running Windows '98          Tech: Yes.
Customer: My computer isn't working now.   Tech: Yes, you said that.

http://www.christians-software.de (Free Mac/Win Software)

Sat, 25 Sep 2004 04:46:57 GMT
 REALbasic plugins website!

Quote:

> > i could easily add a way to search for each plugin's methods, but it takes
> > forever to add all the methods for each plugin (> 170) into the database.
> > that's the main problem.

> You should automate that.
> Maybe you make a fulltext search for the help textes.
> You can integrate them in the plugin using Plugin Plunger.

> Plugin Plunger to automate it.
> Than you can have a folder with plugins and automatically it can extract
> the declarations.

This is a good idea. More plugin authors should be using Plunger anyway.
All the contact information can be there, along with a description and
documentation for each class/method/property. It's all stored in
resources on the plugin's file; no need to use Plugin Plunger to read
it.

The thing is, though, if I want plugins that deal with strings, I don't
want to search on 'string' and end up with ten thousand method names
that contain the word 'string.' Having more information means you have
to have more ways to sort it.

Sat, 25 Sep 2004 06:10:04 GMT
 REALbasic plugins website!

Quote:

>>> i could easily add a way to search for each plugin's methods, but it
>>> takes forever to add all the methods for each plugin (> 170) into
>>> the database. that's the main problem.
>> You should automate that. Maybe you make a fulltext search for the
>> help textes. You can integrate them in the plugin using Plugin
>> Plunger.

>> Plugin Plunger to automate it. Than you can have a folder with
>> plugins and automatically it can extract the declarations.
> This is a good idea. More plugin authors should be using Plunger
> anyway. All the contact information can be there, along with a
> description and documentation for each class/method/property. It's all
> stored in resources on the plugin's file; no need to use Plugin
> Plunger to read it.
> The thing is, though, if I want plugins that deal with strings, I
> don't want to search on 'string' and end up with ten thousand method
> names that contain the word 'string.' Having more information means
> you have to have more ways to sort it.

I agree. Once the coding is done, All he has to do is drop the files
into a folder, and press a button.

--
Email Cleaner does convenient re-wrapping on badly wrapped emails and
newsgroup-posts. Badly wrapped lines is a problem every Internet User

Email Cleaner works from inside all of your Mac programs, from one
button click.

<www.elfdata.com/emailcleaner/>

Sat, 25 Sep 2004 10:06:51 GMT
 REALbasic plugins website!
Sound like some good ideas. I'll have to think about it. I do have a
column for shareware/freeware/commerical, it's just not displayed.

Actuall, if anybody out there that knows how to develop websites would
like to make a better site, go ahead and send it to me. I don't have a
lot of time to sit down and redesign the site so go ahead and make me
a better one.

I was thinking about doing something with the Plugin Plunger. I used
it for a while to see how a plugin was compatible, but then I made my
own app that does that (it's a lot more user friendly). There's no way
to automate getting the info with multiple plugins using Plugin
Plunger. I'd have to edit the actual app myself, which by the time I
did that I could just manually enter in all the data.

Also, when Plugin Plunger exports the info about the plugin into HTML,
does that  HTML include the compatibilities? Like PPC, Carbon, x86??

Thanks all,

Kevin

Sun, 26 Sep 2004 18:43:25 GMT

 [ 19 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. REALbasic Plugins Website

2. RealBasic Plugins

3. REALBasic Plugins with Project Builder

4. MSOffice Automation Plugins for REALbasic

5. New RealBasic website!

6. Sound in RealBasic 4 Prof. (er, RealBasic)

7. Matching Data Types between RealBasic and the RealBasic Database

8. realbasic to excel/realbasic vers excel

9. PlugIns for RealBasic, from a CWsioux or full toolbox arcana?

10. Components and plugins

11. Microsoft MMC Plugins with Dolphin 5.0?

12. ActiveX control for hosting plugins