A number of queries from a newbie who isn't very clever 
Author Message
 A number of queries from a newbie who isn't very clever

Ok, I am trying to make an application, and I basically want it to have one
window where everything happens.  The problem with this is as follows, and
hopefully you will be able to follow it!

I want the user to be able to select a range of different options from an
assortment of dropdown menus.

Each option that the user selects needs to change the appearance of the main
window/screen as there are different things that can be done for each
option.

EG:

There is one dropdown menu that is to do with finances, inside that menu are
various options, current income, current expenditure, etc.
When the user selects current income I want a table to appear in the window
below that shows the current income.  Then when the user selects current
expenditure I want a different table to appear.  These first two are a
little bit easier because the actual visuals are similar, but there is
different content but I plan to get a little more complex as time goes on.

What I would love to know is how best to achieve this, I thought about
having a groupbox for each option that appears and disappears as the user
clicks on the option that owns it and then clicks on something else, but the
groupbox seems to be solely for the use of radiobuttons.  I don't want to
use the tabs as they aren't as visually appealing as I want this to be.

I know there must be somewhere I can turn which doesn't take up your
valuable time, but if you felt inclined to give me an answer I'd be forever
in your debt :-)

thanks,
JK



Sat, 16 Oct 2004 13:11:41 GMT  
 A number of queries from a newbie who isn't very clever

Quote:

> Ok, I am trying to make an application, and I basically want it to have
> one window where everything happens.  The problem with this is as follows,
> and hopefully you will be able to follow it!

We'll try. :-)

Quote:
> I want the user to be able to select a range of different options from an
> assortment of dropdown menus.
[..]
> When the user selects current income I want a table to appear in the
> window below that shows the current income.  Then when the user selects
> current expenditure I want a different table to appear.
[..]
> What I would love to know is how best to achieve this, I thought about
> having a groupbox for each option that appears and disappears as the user
> clicks on the option that owns it and then clicks on something else, but
> the groupbox seems to be solely for the use of radiobuttons.  I don't want
> to use the tabs as they aren't as visually appealing as I want this to be.

One of the cool things about tabs is that you can make them invisible,
but they still work. You change which tab's-worth of controls are
visible by changing the tab's .Value in code. So your menu could change
the tab's value.

Also, the RB 4.5 alphas have a new control called PagePanel which does
all this for you without the associated hassle. Give a look on REAL's
site.

Quote:
> I know there must be somewhere I can turn which doesn't take up your
> valuable time, but if you felt inclined to give me an answer I'd be
> forever in your debt :-)

> thanks,
> JK

Forever's a long time.... :-)


Sat, 16 Oct 2004 16:17:38 GMT  
 A number of queries from a newbie who isn't very clever

Quote:

>> What I would love to know is how best to achieve this, I thought about
>> having a groupbox for each option that appears and disappears as the user
>> clicks on the option that owns it and then clicks on something else, but
>> the groupbox seems to be solely for the use of radiobuttons.  I don't want
>> to use the tabs as they aren't as visually appealing as I want this to be.

>One of the cool things about tabs is that you can make them invisible,
>but they still work. You change which tab's-worth of controls are
>visible by changing the tab's .Value in code. So your menu could change
>the tab's value.

>Also, the RB 4.5 alphas have a new control called PagePanel which does
>all this for you without the associated hassle. Give a look on REAL's
>site.

If, by table, you mean a listbox control, couldn't you just show and hide
that? If it's just one listbox shown per option, and there's no grouping
of controls, I don't see why you'd need to use a tab panel or group box.

On the other hand, if you're talking about a custom table that you've
drawn, then you could use picture objects and copy them to a canvas in
your window as needed.

 - Jeff



Sat, 16 Oct 2004 20:44:38 GMT  
 
 [ 3 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Why isn't Haskell mainstream?---A newbie's view

2. isn't number crunching .....?

3. programming isn't about math Re: Newbie question re: circle and ellipse

4. Newbie exercise: adding numbers to Scott Hess's clock

5. clever lawyers, public-relations brainstorms and a giant corporation's ardor

6. clever lawyers, public-relations brainstorms and a giant corporation's ardor

7. GNU Script isn't fixing something that's broken, so is doomed

8. GNU Script isn't fixing something that's broken, so is doomed

9. GNU Script isn't fixing something that's broken, so is doomed

10. COBOL isn't dead, but I'm learning C++

11. MySQL query in PHP: Not query zero amounts also removes null amounts from query

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software