Sounds in RB 2.0
Author Message
 Sounds in RB 2.0

When I compile a RB 1.1 project with sounds (drag and drop) For Windows
95 with RB 2,0 pro every time the program plays one of the sound it
halts with a error message that the program must shut down.
What is wrong?
Gerard Jonker
Dutch Apple users group "Klokhuis"

Fri, 05 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Sounds in RB 2.0

Quote:

> What is wrong?

May be, it's missing QuickTime.

Uwe.

Fri, 05 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Sounds in RB 2.0
Hello Uwe

The sounds I use are normal system 7 sounds. As I say they where dropped
into the project window and contolled via the namesound.play command. I
can't find any mention in the manuals that I am doing something wrong.
when compiled for the Mac everything works ok.
Gerard Jonker

Quote:

> > What is wrong?
> May be, it's missing QuickTime.

> Uwe.

Sat, 06 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Sounds in RB 2.0
Hello Gerard,

Quote:
> The sounds I use are normal system 7 sounds.

Yes, i've just tested it and noticed the same errors (WINMM.DLL
crashes). I guess, the problem is, that the sound is in the resource
fork of the files. After converting to WAV or AIFF format (SoundApp)
dragging to the project window does not work any more.

Try to convert the sounds to a format both platforms do support and use
the f.OpenAsSound function.

Uwe.

Sat, 06 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Sounds in RB 2.0

Quote:

> Hello Uwe

> The sounds I use are normal system 7 sounds. As I say they where dropped
> into the project window and contolled via the namesound.play command. I
> can't find any mention in the manuals that I am doing something wrong.
> when compiled for the Mac everything works ok.
> Gerard Jonker

Try a cross-platform sound format, .wav, or .aiff. System 7 sounds are
resources and the readme that comes with RB 2 Pro mentions that you cannot
use Mac resources when you want to do cross-platform development.

Hope this helps.

JT

Sat, 06 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Sounds in RB 2.0

Quote:

> Hello Gerard,

> > The sounds I use are normal system 7 sounds.
> Yes, i've just tested it and noticed the same errors (WINMM.DLL
> crashes). I guess, the problem is, that the sound is in the resource
> fork of the files. After converting to WAV or AIFF format (SoundApp)
> dragging to the project window does not work any more.

> Try to convert the sounds to a format both platforms do support and use
> the f.OpenAsSound function.

> Uwe.

Hello Uwe

Using your suggestion did not solve the problem. I converted the sound
files to .wav format and I made a method that loads the files when my
application is starting up.
But still my application is stopping when it must play a sound.
Any new hints are welcome
Gerard Jonker

Wed, 10 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Can RB play external sound files

2. playing a sound in your rb app?

3. How to create sound resource from RB?

4. Synchronizing sound with animation in VRML 2.0

5. VRML 2.0 Sound, DirectedSound, PointSound?

6. AEGizmo plugin works only with RB 2.0?

7. Re : TabPanel control in RB 2.0

8. RB 2.0 quits with error code 3.

9. New features in RB 2.0?

10. Passing and returning arrays in RB 2.0

11. RB 2.0 Threads on Windows NT

12. clipper dos sound to windows sound card