MSN Protocol, need partner
Author Message
 MSN Protocol, need partner

Hello,

Since a few weeks I started to use MSN Messenger, because some girls from my
school uses it ;)
Noticed the Mac version is nothing, buggy and ugly (no MacOS feeling).

So I thought it's a pretty good feeling to make better software then
Microsoft. I started working on the MSN protocol, and it logs in fine.

I was wondering if somebody wants to continue this project with me.

Cheers,
Adriaan Mol
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 13 Oct 2003 23:17:57 GMT
 MSN Protocol, need partner

Quote:
>So I thought it's a pretty good feeling to make better software then
>Microsoft. I started working on the MSN protocol, and it logs in fine.

>I was wondering if somebody wants to continue this project with me.

Be aware that if you do this and release your project, you may be sued.

In the United States, it is against the law to access a computer system or
network without the permission of the owner of the system.

America Online has sued many people for writing software that logs into the AOL
Instant Messenger network, and has won in court. (In fact, they even sued
Microsoft when Microsoft made their messenger client work with AOL IM!).

Microsoft has similar views. Releasing a chat client superior to theirs which
works with their network may result in unwanted legal attention.

------
Onyx, the game of {*filter*} exploration; Xero, the industrial magazine
of art, fiction and photography; and online photo gallery--all at
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Mon, 13 Oct 2003 22:41:15 GMT
 MSN Protocol, need partner
Tactic is right.  I'm the author of miChat!, a Yahoo! Chat client that is
now being developed to use Yahoo! Messenger as well.  I've already received
a call and a couple of emails from Yahoo! about trademarking issues etc, but
ultimately they encouraged developemnt because they admitted their Mac
support was minimal.  When I asked about legalities of using their protocol
and accessing their network they had no problem with it, and development was
allowed.

Microsoft, on the other hand, and AOL, have different policies.  AOL
especially does not look kindly on your use of their network.  Microsoft
should have no problem with a Mac messenger.  Just make sure that when you
distribute it you note in a legal section somewhere that if they have any
issues with your use of the network they contact you immediately and ask you
to discontinue your work.

If they don't contact you, you're in the clear.

All that being said, I love working through internet protocols, and would be
interested in helping you out in the future.  At present I'm too bogged down
in Yahoo!'s YMSG protocol to be of much help, but feel free to email me if
need anything.  And if you want to work on the voice technology, definitely
let me know.  I'm trying to get voice chat working through YMSG and YCHT.

Cheers;
Seth

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Quote:
> In the United States, it is against the law to access a computer system or
> network without the permission of the owner of the system.

> America Online has sued many people for writing software that logs into
the AOL
> Instant Messenger network, and has won in court. (In fact, they even sued
> Microsoft when Microsoft made their messenger client work with AOL IM!).

> Microsoft has similar views. Releasing a chat client superior to theirs
which
> works with their network may result in unwanted legal attention.

> ------
> Onyx, the game of {*filter*} exploration; Xero, the industrial magazine
> of art, fiction and photography; and online photo gallery--all at
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 14 Oct 2003 23:32:35 GMT

1. wm protocol protocols

2. I need to know more about MODBUS protocol

3. Need info for file protocols

4. wm protocol: need iconify handler

5. MSN OpenSource project

6. Clarion on MSN Messenger

7. MSN Members - Alert

8. msnp.py: MSN messaging in Python

9. MSN V-Chat 2.0

10. AMSN - MSN Messenger in TCL!

11. icq/msn lib/module for tcl?

12. MSN email attachment to be aware of....