Source Code Control With RealBasic
Author Message
 Source Code Control With RealBasic

In order to use a source code control software (e.g. CVS) with
RealBasic, we would like to break down and reassemble the RealBasic
project into separate objects (e.g. windows, etc.) using the XML
representation. Are you aware of any such utility?

The procedure would work as follows:
-- take a RealBasic project and export it in XML
-- decompose it into first-level elements (which correspond to objects
in the RealBasic project tree)
-- check every XML fragment into source code control separately
-- use source code control to get the latest version of all fragments
-- assemble the RealBasic project (as a valid XML document) from
first-level elements (XML fragments)

Each developer can now work on a separate fragment independently.

There are a number of posts on the newsgroup that suggest that this is
safe and feasible (see below).

Where can we find such a utility? If not, is anyone willing to build
it collaboratively?

Thank you,
Radu Manolescu

Sent: Friday, September 21, 2001 09:01
To: Radu Manolescu
Cc: Andrew Freeman
Subject: Re: Source Control With RealBasic

Quote:
>I was reading your post about assembling a RealBasic project from
>XML fragments, and I would like to ask you a couple of things:

>1. Is this a safe/reliable thing to do?

Sure, why not?

Quote:
>2. Since your post, are you aware of anyone having implemented your
>suggestion?

I think there are one or two people doing this, but I didn't keep the
messages so I can't say exactly who.

Quote:
>I realize that nothing is 100% guaranteed in programming, but is the
>method of assembling a project from (valid) fragments of XML as safe
>as (for instance) dragging an object onto the desktop or from the
>desktop?

Yes.

Quote:
>If anyone has implemented your suggestion, I would like to get the
>software that splits/reassembles the XML.

Try posting to the realbasic-nug mailing list; I believe you'll find
people who have done this there.

Quote:

more posts.

Best,
- Joe

Tue, 09 Mar 2004 23:09:49 GMT
 Source Code Control With RealBasic
I think this is a very good idea, but would like to make a couple of
points:

1. RB's performance in parsing XML is pretty slow.

2. Any locked classes are apparently totally ignored when the round trip
to XML and back is made.

Cheers,

-Peter

Quote:

> In order to use a source code control software (e.g. CVS) with
> RealBasic, we would like to break down and reassemble the RealBasic
> project into separate objects (e.g. windows, etc.) using the XML
> representation. Are you aware of any such utility?

> The procedure would work as follows:
> -- take a RealBasic project and export it in XML
> -- decompose it into first-level elements (which correspond to objects
> in the RealBasic project tree)
> -- check every XML fragment into source code control separately
> -- use source code control to get the latest version of all fragments
> -- assemble the RealBasic project (as a valid XML document) from
> first-level elements (XML fragments)

> Each developer can now work on a separate fragment independently.

> There are a number of posts on the newsgroup that suggest that this is
> safe and feasible (see below).

> Where can we find such a utility? If not, is anyone willing to build
> it collaboratively?

> Thank you,
> Radu Manolescu

> Sent: Friday, September 21, 2001 09:01
> To: Radu Manolescu
> Cc: Andrew Freeman
> Subject: Re: Source Control With RealBasic

> >I was reading your post about assembling a RealBasic project from
> >XML fragments, and I would like to ask you a couple of things:

> >1. Is this a safe/reliable thing to do?

> Sure, why not?

> >2. Since your post, are you aware of anyone having implemented your
> >suggestion?

> I think there are one or two people doing this, but I didn't keep the
> messages so I can't say exactly who.

> >I realize that nothing is 100% guaranteed in programming, but is the
> >method of assembling a project from (valid) fragments of XML as safe
> >as (for instance) dragging an object onto the desktop or from the
> >desktop?

> Yes.

> >If anyone has implemented your suggestion, I would like to get the
> >software that splits/reassembles the XML.

> Try posting to the realbasic-nug mailing list; I believe you'll find
> people who have done this there.

> more posts.

> Best,
> - Joe

Tue, 09 Mar 2004 23:47:19 GMT
 Source Code Control With RealBasic

Quote:

> 2. Any locked classes are apparently totally ignored when the round trip
> to XML and back is made.

What's a "locked class"? Thx - m.

--

          *** REALbasic: The Definitive Guide! ***
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0596001770/somethingsbymatt

Wed, 10 Mar 2004 01:46:20 GMT
 Source Code Control With RealBasic

Quote:

> I think this is a very good idea, but would like to make a couple of
> points:

> 1. RB's performance in parsing XML is pretty slow.

Be sure you're basing this on recent tests -- it was substantially
improved a few months ago.

Quote:
> 2. Any locked classes are apparently totally ignored when the round trip
> to XML and back is made.

They're ignored on export, and there's no way to get a "locked" class
in XML (which is the whole point).  Almost certainly not a problem for
a project like this, but it's good to point it out.

Cheers,
- Joe

Wed, 10 Mar 2004 01:46:17 GMT
 Source Code Control With RealBasic
In article

Quote:

> > 2. Any locked classes are apparently totally ignored when the round trip
> > to XML and back is made.

> What's a "locked class"? Thx - m.

It's one which you've password-protected by using the "Encrypt" menu
(or contextual menu) command.  And it's not exported to XML for obvious
reasons.

Cheers,
- Joe

Wed, 10 Mar 2004 03:38:13 GMT
 Source Code Control With RealBasic

Quote:

> In article

> > > 2. Any locked classes are apparently totally ignored when the round trip
> > > to XML and back is made.

> > What's a "locked class"? Thx - m.

> It's one which you've password-protected by using the "Encrypt" menu
> (or contextual menu) command

Thx. I know about "Encrypt"; it didn't occur to me to think of this as "Lock"...! m.

Wed, 10 Mar 2004 21:02:43 GMT
 Source Code Control With RealBasic
In article

Quote:

> > 2. Any locked classes are apparently totally ignored when the round
> > trip
> > to XML and back is made.

> What's a "locked class"? Thx - m.

I guess it's actually an "encrypted" class - one that the developer has
locked with the "encrypt" menu option in the IDE

-PT

Fri, 12 Mar 2004 01:39:54 GMT
 Source Code Control With RealBasic

Quote:

> > I think this is a very good idea, but would like to make a couple of
> > points:

> > 1. RB's performance in parsing XML is pretty slow.

> Be sure you're basing this on recent tests -- it was substantially
> improved a few months ago.

> > 2. Any locked classes are apparently totally ignored when the round
> > trip
> > to XML and back is made.

> They're ignored on export, and there's no way to get a "locked" class
> in XML (which is the whole point).  Almost certainly not a problem for
> a project like this, but it's good to point it out.

> Cheers,
> - Joe

You are correct, Joe. I have not tested this recently. Thanks for the
update.

As to the locked (encrypted) classes, I would find it very helpful if
there was at least a reference maintained in the XML so that when it is
re-imported, there would be a chance to find and re-import the locked
class - as part of the XML import process.

I was working an a fairly large project which incorporated a couple of
encrypted classes. I exported the project to XML to add a bunch of
language-specific constants programatically. When I re-imported it, it
took me a while to figure out what had happened to the encrypted
classes, and even when I had, I had to spend a good deal of time
checking and re-instating all of the instances of those classes with the
correct superclass reference...

-Peter

Fri, 12 Mar 2004 01:46:14 GMT

1. REAL Control Strip 1.0 - control strips for REALbasic applications

2. Data Recovery SOURCE CODE ( SOURCE CODES of Professional Data Recovery Software )

3. Converting FORTRAN source code to C source code

4. Source code control for VisualWorks ?

5. Digitalk's Team/V for Source Code Control

6. Source Code Control system wanted

7. Source Code Problem: Loop true all controls on a window

8. Source code for CW Stock Control

9. Source code control in Eiffel

10. Best source code control program

11. Source Code Control problem

12. LINUX - Source Code Control with Perforce doesn't register