Determining File Versions OS X
Author Message
 Determining File Versions OS X

How do I determine a files version in OS X? In OS 9 I could open up the
resource fork and take a look. Any ideas on what procedure to use with OS X.

In Realbasic the openResourceFork function returns nil.

Thanks,

John

Sat, 28 May 2005 11:09:55 GMT
 Determining File Versions OS X

Quote:

> How do I determine a files version in OS X? In OS 9 I could open up the
> resource fork and take a look. Any ideas on what procedure to use with OS X.

> In Realbasic the openResourceFork function returns nil.

I have never seen that.
openResourceFork is not nil here.

mfg
Christian

Sat, 28 May 2005 15:58:34 GMT
 Determining File Versions OS X

Quote:

> How do I determine a files version in OS X? In OS 9 I could open up the
> resource fork and take a look. Any ideas on what procedure to use with OS X.

> In Realbasic the openResourceFork function returns nil.

I assume you're trying to get the version from an application, not just
any old file, correct?  Under OS X, an application can be bundled,
which means it is actually a folder with a set heirarchy of other files
and folders inside it.  This folder gets treated as if it were a single
file, but it has no resource fork.

If the application is a bundle, you'll need to get the version
information out of it.  There must be some easy way to do this using a
declare or something -- certainly it won't be easy to do manually.
You'd have to open the Info.plist file inside the bundle and then parse
the XML it contains to find the version information.  Also, I think
some apps may store some of this version information elsewhere, for
localization purposes, so the solution of parsing the Info.plist file
may not work in all cases.

Good luck!

Sat, 28 May 2005 23:00:45 GMT

1. CobAnal for MVS, OS/390 and z/OS New version

2. OS/VS COBOL and z/OS Version 1 Release 3

3. z/OS Version 1 Release 3 and OS/VS COBOL

4. Labview version, OS version from within a VI?

5. Determine OS at runtime

6. Determining how many days between dates (os/2 warp v3)

7. Determining how many days between dates (os/2 warp v3

8. Determine the drive OS/2 resides on?

9. REXX (OS/2) and Determining what Apps are Running

10. Determining Compiler Options (OS/390)

11. determining the OS