Help Menu Mystery
Author Message
 Help Menu Mystery

I1m just finishing my second REALbasic project, testing it out, and I
came across a puzzle. I1ve created a Help Menu and added an
3Instructions2 item with command-key 3I2 to it. Selecting this item from
the pull-down menu by using the mouse causes a text window containing
some instructions to appear. However, when I tried the command-key,
nothing happened. Occasionally I would see the word 3Help2 flicker in
the menu bar.

If I move the item to the File or Edit menus everything including the
command-key works as expected. I1ve tried changing the command-key, and
those different keys all work fine until I move things back to the Help
menu.

Just when I thought that the Help menu was special and did not allow for
the use of command-keys, I noticed that RB successfully uses Help -->
Language Reference / command-1. What1s up?

Yes, I1ve read the Tutorial and the Developer1s Guide but found nothing
there regarding this question. Yes I1ve found quite a few workarounds,
but I1m still curious as to why I can1t get command-keys to work under
the Help menu while others can.

Thanks for your time.

--
Larry Quimby

Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Wed, 14 Jan 2004 08:07:32 GMT
 Help Menu Mystery

Quote:
> Command keys don't work in the Help menu.  We only manage to do it in
> RB itself via some ugly hacks.  The Help menu, it turns out, is handled
> by the Help Manager rather than the Menu Manager, and it itself is
> rather a {*filter*} hack on Apple's part.

> > Just when I thought that the Help menu was special and did not allow for
> > the use of command-keys, I noticed that RB successfully uses Help -->
> > Language Reference / command-1. What1s up?

> Your thought was right.

> Cheers,
> - Joe

Ah! I feel much better now. Many thanks.

Bye for now,

--
Larry Quimby

Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Thu, 15 Jan 2004 02:24:06 GMT

1. Help: Menu binding only works on tearoff menu?

2. Help on mystery program: mergeon.exe

3. Namespace Mystery (HELP!)

4. HELP! importing python module into C++ mystery

5. Help with Menu/SubMenu Help

6. VA - Help on help with menus

7. Help: Creating a help menu easily...

8. Menu ID of Bevel Button Menu

9. Menu Items in OS X Apple Menu

10. Sub-Menus in BevelButton Menu

11. putting a menu item in a menu

12. Dynamic menu-rights/Enable and Disable menu-items