RealBasic 3.5
Author Message
 RealBasic 3.5

Has anyone upgraded to 3.5 yet? I have 3.2 and I'm more than peeved that
they want $30 for the upgrade after the lady that took my order for 3 said,
"all 3.x upgrades are free, you won't have to pay again until 4.0 comes
out." I was wondering if the new features (MS Office support doesn't mean
didlly to me) are worth upgrading now, or if I should hold off for 4. I
guess I can download it and try it as the demo, but I'm looking for some
user feedback too. Thanks,

-Sean Rose

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:43:43 GMT
 RealBasic 3.5

Quote:
> Has anyone upgraded to 3.5 yet? I have 3.2 and I'm more than peeved that
> they want $30 for the upgrade after the lady that took my order for 3 said,
> "all 3.x upgrades are free, you won't have to pay again until 4.0 comes
> out." I was wondering if the new features (MS Office support doesn't mean
> didlly to me) are worth upgrading now, or if I should hold off for 4. I
> guess I can download it and try it as the demo, but I'm looking for some
> user feedback too. Thanks,

Well, it is unfortunate that whoever took your order gave you
misinformation, although perhaps she was misinformed herself and thought
that the next version would be 4.0

As to whether or not 3.5 is worth it...

Personally, I think so. The Office Automation features may not be useful to
you, but many more controls (including EditField) now have Mouse- Down, Up
and Move events which can be very handy.

If you program for Windows, many more controls also now have GotFocus and
LostFocus events to simplify working in that environment.

If you use data bases, the new DataControl control (which does seems to have
a few quirks) in conjunction with new properties of EditFields, PopupMenus
and ListBoxes (all of which can be "data aware", which means that you simply
set a couple of properties for the controls, and they're automatically
filled with the relevant data from the data base), can simplify those tasks.

And there's RBScript, which has a lot of potential.

There are also several improvements in the IDE itself.

George

Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:18:17 GMT
 RealBasic 3.5
Sean,

I just dl'd it and got my serial number; still waiting on the cd and
printed docs...

What I can tell you is that I spent the summer writing some programs for
use at school where I have both macs and windows 95 machines. With v3.2
everything worked fine at home (tested with VPC & win 98) but crashed on
the win 95s at school. The upgrade fixed that problem. Worth it for me,
YMMV.

LSQ

Quote:

--
Larry Quimby

Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Wed, 11 Feb 2004 11:54:35 GMT
 RealBasic 3.5

Quote:
> Has anyone upgraded to 3.5 yet? I have 3.2 and I'm more than peeved that
> they want $30 for the upgrade after the lady that took my order for 3 said,
> "all 3.x upgrades are free, you won't have to pay again until 4.0 comes
> out." I was wondering if the new features (MS Office support doesn't mean
> didlly to me) are worth upgrading now, or if I should hold off for 4. I
> guess I can download it and try it as the demo, but I'm looking for some
> user feedback too. Thanks,

> -Sean Rose

> http://www.cycline3.com

   I dont care about Office either, but the 3D and scripting are worth
$30 to me.

   I hope 4.0 will bring a faster compiler.

Thu, 12 Feb 2004 03:56:30 GMT
 RealBasic 3.5

Quote:

> Has anyone upgraded to 3.5 yet? I have 3.2 and I'm more than peeved that
> they want $30 for the upgrade after the lady that took my order for 3 said,
> "all 3.x upgrades are free, you won't have to pay again until 4.0 comes
> out."

She was mistaken (perhaps she was new -- we] got a new employee in the
office a little while ago).  x.5 and x.0 upgrades are always paid
upgrades; maintenance releases (like 3.5.1) are always free.  That's
always been the policy.  And if you don't mind my saying so, $30 is
darned cheap for all the new & improved stuff you get in 3.5 -- have
you looked at the release notes?

Cheers,
- Joe

Thu, 12 Feb 2004 05:23:27 GMT
 RealBasic 3.5

Quote:
>    I hope 4.0 will bring a faster compiler.

I'm sorry to report that it will not.  (By either meaning of "faster
compiler".)

Cheers,
- Joe

Thu, 12 Feb 2004 05:24:28 GMT
 RealBasic 3.5

Quote:

> And if you don't mind my saying so, $30 is
> darned cheap for all the new & improved stuff you get in 3.5 -- have
> you looked at the release notes?

I certainly did, but 3.5 "final" still has lots of bugs and I have to
pay 229,-- Deutschmarks (this is about $100, presumably more) for the
upgrade from 3.2Pro to 3.5Pro (Download edition, no CD, no printed
docs).

Dim i as integer
For i = 0 to kBugCount //don't mind my saying so ;)
        Fix_bug(i)
Next
Implement_new_features(Desired_by_users_not_Apple_or_M$)

Forgive me, but I'm developing using an OpenBase-Server with RB as
front-end and databasecursor.moveNext doesn't work under certain
circumstances (SQLExecuting e.g.) - a plain PITA to always work around
by filling an array with the _rowid's and "replay" in a loop in order to
act upon database-entries...

Forgive me again, I *love* RB, but currently, 3.5 looks like OS X 10.0.4
to me. I'm looking forward to 10.1 and 3.6.

Cheers,

Knut

Thu, 12 Feb 2004 07:51:04 GMT
 RealBasic 3.5

Quote:
> Forgive me again, I *love* RB, but currently, 3.5 looks like OS X 10.0.4
> to me. I'm looking forward to 10.1 and 3.6.

It's a little more disconcerting than that at least from my perspective
particularly when RS says that you can develop code for OS X using RB
and you run into stuff that works on, e.g., 9.1 but not on X.  Specific
examples are my recent questions concerning being able to select via
GetOpenFolderItem() each OS' class of application (OS X application
bundles can't be selected; conceptually they appear as a file to the
user and should be selectable) and to actually have FolderItem.Launch
work on OS X (thanks to Matt N. for a work around for that).  These
things constitute basic functionality in being able to claim development
for OS X and I was sorely disappointed to find they do not work.

- Joe

--
PGP Key (DH/DSS): http://www.shimkus.com/public_key.asc
PGP Fingerprint:  89B4 52DA CF10 EE03 02AD  9134 21C6 2A68 CE52 EE1A

Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:16:56 GMT
 RealBasic 3.5

Quote:

> >    I hope 4.0 will bring a faster compiler.

> I'm sorry to report that it will not.  (By either meaning of "faster
> compiler".)

> Cheers,
> - Joe

   Well, as long as it brings world peace.

   I meant it as in compiling faster apps.

   A couple of people had mentioned array access was unusually slow in
RB. Might 4.0 address that at least?

Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:36:57 GMT
 RealBasic 3.5

[.. Joe S. complains of having to find workarounds for RB 3.5 bugs ..]

I think that perhaps users of RB should ask RS for workarounds instead
of bugfixes. I bet more bugfixes would get done if *they* had to find
the workarounds. :-)

Anyway, since we're all sharing about 3.5... I was pretty close to being
ready to give up on RB, but today I discovered that you can call
DeleteAllRows inside a ListBox's CollapseRow event in 3.5, but trying in
3.2.1 gives you a failed assertion. Yay! A real honest-to-goodness bug
fix! Is it enough to restore my faith? Time will tell. Maybe I'll wait
for 3.5.1.

Now if only I could use that same ListBox to display a RowPicture with
Transparency next to that row's check box, instead of having to... well,
you know... FIND A WORKAROUND.

--
"In a world full of lies/That tug at the truth
 I'm taking no sides/Now I recognize you.." --DS

Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:48:38 GMT
 RealBasic 3.5

Quote:

> I think that perhaps users of RB should ask RS for workarounds instead
> of bugfixes. I bet more bugfixes would get done if *they* had to find
> the workarounds. :-)

We always suggest workarounds when a user reports a bug (if they don't
have one already).

Quote:
> Anyway, since we're all sharing about 3.5... I was pretty close to being
> ready to give up on RB, but today I discovered that you can call
> DeleteAllRows inside a ListBox's CollapseRow event in 3.5, but trying in
> 3.2.1 gives you a failed assertion. Yay! A real honest-to-goodness bug
> fix!

Yes.  And there are hundreds of others; check the release notes for a
complete list.

Cheers,
- Joe

Sat, 14 Feb 2004 00:05:15 GMT
 RealBasic 3.5

Quote:

> Forgive me, but I'm developing using an OpenBase-Server with RB as
> front-end and databasecursor.moveNext doesn't work under certain
> circumstances (SQLExecuting e.g.) - a plain PITA to always work around
> by filling an array with the _rowid's and "replay" in a loop in order to
> act upon database-entries...

> Forgive me again, I *love* RB, but currently, 3.5 looks like OS X 10.0.4
> to me. I'm looking forward to 10.1 and 3.6.

I think most of these issues are with Openbase's APIs and not with
REALbasic. However, we are working closely with Openbase International to
solve these problems.
--

Geoff Perlman
President & CEO

Phone: 512-263-1233 x711
Fax:   512-263-1441

Wed, 25 Feb 2004 12:13:20 GMT
 RealBasic 3.5
On 8/26/01 2:36 AM, in article

Quote:

>  Well, as long as it brings world peace.

>  I meant it as in compiling faster apps.

>  A couple of people had mentioned array access was unusually slow in
> RB. Might 4.0 address that at least?

We are working on a new compiler that will be faster than our current one
but it won't be ready for 4.0. However, you will be able to test it for
yourself as we develop it since it's the basis of RBScript. In 3.5, RBScript
uses byte code compiler. In v4.0 we should have a machine code compiler for
RBScript.
--

Geoff Perlman
President & CEO

Phone: 512-263-1233 x711
Fax:   512-263-1441

Wed, 25 Feb 2004 12:23:58 GMT

1. REALbasic 3.5 upgrades

2. Localization (multi-language) apps with RB 3.5

3. RB 3.5 to 4.0 upgrade problem

4. RB 3.2 -> 3.5

5. Rb 3.5 Registration Key

6. RB 3.5 and Windows NT2000 servers

7. Errors in RB 3.5 examples-adding files

8. mouseDown and RB 3.5

9. RB 3.5/4.0

10. Compiling an OBJ module into a basic program in version 3.5 PowerBasic for DOS

11. Serial port on PowerBasic 3.5

12. PB 3.5 crash under Win98