Altering a RealBasic Database
Author Message
 Altering a RealBasic Database

Hello,

I don't arrive to alter the structure of a RealBasic database via the
Project screen.
The following commands don't work:
-dropping a field
-dropping a table
-changing the name of a field
-changing the name of a table
-changing tha datatype

Anyone an idea for a workaround?

Thanks beforehand,

Martin DELEU

Tue, 20 Jan 2004 20:55:36 GMT
 Altering a RealBasic Database

Quote:

> I don't arrive to alter the structure of a RealBasic database via the
> Project screen.
> The following commands don't work:
> -dropping a field
> -dropping a table
> -changing the name of a field
> -changing the name of a table
> -changing tha datatype

> Anyone an idea for a workaround?

Delete the database, and create a new one with the structure you want.
(If you have data to save, write it out to a tab-delimited text file or
some such, then read it back in.)

Though at least some of those operations DO work -- changing the name
or type of a field, for example.  But dropping a field or table is not
supported, so you have to do the above.

- Joe

Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:45:58 GMT
 Altering a RealBasic Database
Joe -

the question begs to be asked... Why put these commands there if they are
not supported.  I too am somewhat frustrated at the capabilities of RealDB.
I also found that my databases structures made in version 3 don't seem to be
editable in version 3.5 forcing me to recreate the table.  This is weak, and
a real pain for a beginner user like me.

Paul

Quote:

> Newsgroups: comp.lang.basic.realbasic
> Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2001 14:45:58 GMT
> Subject: Re: Altering a RealBasic Database

>> I don't arrive to alter the structure of a RealBasic database via the
>> Project screen.
>> The following commands don't work:
>> -dropping a field
>> -dropping a table
>> -changing the name of a field
>> -changing the name of a table
>> -changing tha datatype

>> Anyone an idea for a workaround?

> Delete the database, and create a new one with the structure you want.
> (If you have data to save, write it out to a tab-delimited text file or
> some such, then read it back in.)

> Though at least some of those operations DO work -- changing the name
> or type of a field, for example.  But dropping a field or table is not
> supported, so you have to do the above.

> - Joe

> --
> ,------------------------------------------------------------------.
> |    Joseph J. Strout         Check out the Mac Web Directory:     |

> `------------------------------------------------------------------'

Sun, 08 Feb 2004 12:37:38 GMT

1. Matching Data Types between RealBasic and the RealBasic Database

2. Looping over a directory and reading Jpegs into a database -- Realbasic 4.5

3. How do you use jpegs in a realbasic database on the PC

4. RealBasic Database and Export

5. RealBasic Database Date format

6. Foxpro Database - Access with REALBasic - Help

7. RealBasic database troubles

8. REALBasic 3.2 & Databases

9. Date SQL with REALbasic database

10. Database access in realbasic

11. Oracle database access via REALbasic (Question)

12. samples for REALbasic&s Database