PB/CC's LPRINT and Network Queues
Author Message
 PB/CC's LPRINT and Network Queues

I'm having a tought time making LPRINT ATTACH work with netware print
queues in our network.  If I capture the print queue, and LPRINT ATTACH
to the LPT port, everything works fine.  If I try going attaching
directly to the queue -- LPRINT ATTACH <queue UNC name> -- it fails.

I "borrowed" some code from the PB BBS that listed all the defined
printers and their print devices, then used the string returned by that
as my argument to LPRINT ATTACH; still no luck.  The queues I am trying
to connect to are NDS based.  I don't know what would happen with
bindery or WindowsNT share style queues, since I don't have that type of
network available to play on.

This problem is not a show stopper, but is certainly is depressing.  Any
kind of feedback would be cool.

TIA

"There is no careful way to interrogate a Klingon"
                      -- Security Chief Odo

Thu, 05 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PB/CC's LPRINT and Network Queues

Quote:

>I'm having a tought time making LPRINT ATTACH work with netware print
>queues in our network.  If I capture the print queue, and LPRINT ATTACH
>to the LPT port, everything works fine.  If I try going attaching
>directly to the queue -- LPRINT ATTACH <queue UNC name> -- it fails.

Hi Bud,

On my p2p Win95 network I can use UNC's just fine, so it must be an
O/S issue.

--Lance.
==============================
Lance Edmonds, Email contacts:

==============================
Please remove "SPAMLESS." when
    replying by email.
==============================

Fri, 06 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PB/CC's LPRINT and Network Queues
In order to attach to an NDS queue, your application must be NDS aware.
Attach type commands are typicaly ment for bindery type stuff (such as NW
3.12, Win NT, etc.).  Also, I will assume that you are using Novells Client
32 to attach to the network (using the one provided by Microsoft is asking
for trouble).  If you are using Client 32, you could make API calls to the
same DLL's that capture uses and make your application NDS aware.  Or
another option would be to have your Sys Admin define a Bindery Print object
for the queue you want to print to (you will however lose the advantage of
it being an NDS queue).  You may also want to vist Novells web site.  They a
complete developers section with alot of sample source code (VB, Delphi and
C++) that can also help with this.

Joe:)

Thu, 12 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PB/CC's LPRINT and Network Queues
For something as simple as this, I was hoping I wouldn't have to dig
into the internals of the NDS client software just to re-direct printing
to a Novell queue (I'm already authenticated to the tree; what more does
it need?).  I've not tested it yet, but feedback I'm getting sez that
LPRINT ATTACH "\\servername\queuename" works for windows queues (NT as
well).  I've not tried it in a bindery environment.  I am using the
32bit client.

Since Win9x can print directly to a queue (when you define the printer's
port as such) without capturing, I presumed LPRINT ATTACH would do the
same.  Win9x, apparently, doesn't treat non-MS networks the same
(surprise!).

FWIW, some versions of WordPerfect seem to have this problem as well;
when printing to a printer defined in the control panel as connected
directly to the queue, it often fails (or crashes).  Use a printer that
is going to a captured printer port, and there's no problems.

Quote:

> In order to attach to an NDS queue, your application must be NDS aware.
> Attach type commands are typicaly ment for bindery type stuff (such as NW
> 3.12, Win NT, etc.).  Also, I will assume that you are using Novells Client
> 32 to attach to the network (using the one provided by Microsoft is asking
> for trouble).  If you are using Client 32, you could make API calls to the
> same DLL's that capture uses and make your application NDS aware.  Or
> another option would be to have your Sys Admin define a Bindery Print object
> for the queue you want to print to (you will however lose the advantage of
> it being an NDS queue).  You may also want to vist Novells web site.  They a
> complete developers section with alot of sample source code (VB, Delphi and
> C++) that can also help with this.

> Joe:)

"There is no careful way to interrogate a Klingon"
                      -- Security Chief Odo

Sat, 14 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. PB/cc and LPRINT

2. LPRINT in PB/cc

3. MX Lookup with PB/CC or PB/DLL

4. TCPADDR for PB/DLL & PB/CC

5. Info on new PB/CC and PB/DLL

6. Announcing the JazzAge COM Wizard for PB/DLL and PB/CC

7. animated characters, speech input/output in PB/DLL and PB/CC

8. email enable PB/DLL-PB/CC using Outlook

9. SQL, ADO/OLE-DB programming in PB/DLL and PB/CC

10. new JA 'CE' for PB/DLL, PB/CC OpenBeta3

11. NUL device not working in PB/CC?

12. dir_trav.bas pb/cc 2.11 directory traverse program