Console Compiler 2 Bug still exists
Author Message
 Console Compiler 2 Bug still exists

Lance,

Thanks for the reply. I tried your code on my system
running  Windows ME, and it failed!

An interesting twist though, is that I tried your code on an old
system I have here that's running Windows 98SE with partial success.
Under Windows 98SE, it worked on the 120 character long filename in
the code below. But on filenames longer than 124 characters, it too
failed!

Anyone else want to try to find a way around this problem?

Thanks,
Anon

--- Previous Reply from Lance ---

I tested your code and a variation that targets the NAME statement
explicitly.  I tested this under Windows 2000, and it creates and
renames the exact file name you specified, without any errors.

Try this for yourself:

FUNCTION PBMAIN
c$ = CURDIR$
c$ = RTRIM$(c$, "\") + "\"
a$="(AM_Gold_Series)_(AM_Gold_The_Mid_1960's_Classics)_Dusty_Springfield_-_I_Only_Want_To_Be_With_You,_File_185_(01_17)_.mp3"
OPEN c$ + a$ FOR OUTPUT AS #1
PRINT #1, "test"
CLOSE #1
b$ = a$
REPLACE "_" WITH " " IN b$
NAME c$ + a$ AS b$
a$ = DIR$(b$)
PRINT c$ + a$
WAITKEY$
END FUNCTION

Note that this code does not perform any error testing, and I note
that your code does not test for an error immediately after the NAME
statement either.  Maybe you could try adding:

ON ERROR GOTO DISPERR

To your code (and probably an appropriate RESUME statement if you want
to retry after an error).

BTW, which operating system are you using to test your code with?

Tue, 26 Aug 2003 07:14:54 GMT
 Console Compiler 2 Bug still exists
Interesting... It does point to being some kind of O/S limitation.
I've asked R&D to investigate it though, so we can be sure of the
cause.

I'll post what I can find out (as soon as I get back from my
Honeymoon!)

Thanks!

Quote:

>Lance,

>Thanks for the reply. I tried your code on my system
>running  Windows ME, and it failed!

>An interesting twist though, is that I tried your code on an old
>system I have here that's running Windows 98SE with partial success.
>Under Windows 98SE, it worked on the 120 character long filename in
>the code below. But on filenames longer than 124 characters, it too
>failed!

>Anyone else want to try to find a way around this problem?

Lance
powerbasic Support

Wed, 27 Aug 2003 07:23:03 GMT

1. Console Compiler 2 NAME (Rename) Bug

2. bug fix for Python bug 537450 in 2.2.2 does break some existing code

3. 3D Scanners vs. Digital Stills

4. Seeking Examples of Win32 Console Programming, Any Compiler

5. 8.5a2 console scroll bug?

6. Screen bug in Win95 Wish8.0p2 (console overwrites itself)

7. Finding Bugs(was: Does my ideal language exist)

8. compiler does one exist?

9. compiler does one exist?

10. Regina stream('Query exists') bug

11. Does free COBOL Compiler (For SCO V) Exist ?

12. Hiding the DOS console on a console application on Windows