PowerBASIC information
Author Message
 PowerBASIC information

I've been trying to find out some information about powerbasic for some
projects that I'm working on, and I'm hoping that I can get some information
from those who have already used the tool.  I've already checked their web
site, but I'm looking for the developer's opinions.  Specifically, I'm
interested in the PB/DLL 5.0 tool from the following perspectives:

1)  Stability.  How stable is the PB IDE?  Are there a lot of bugs that have
been reported with the 5.0 version?  How about the resultant DLLs?
3)  Win32 calls.  What is the syntax to make an API call in PB?
4)  Multithreading.  Is PB thread-safe?  Does anyone have any examples where
they've used CreateThread in PB (especially if you've used that PB DLL from
VB?)
5)  Documentation.  This seems like the only thing that people have really
complained about.  Is it really THAT bad?
6)  PowerGEN.  OK, that tool caught my eye as well.  I assume that PB/DLL by
its name, only creates DLL (I know, DUH!).  I'm also assuming that PowerGEN
allows you to create EXEs.  Has anybody used this tool?  How good/bad is it?

Thanks for any insight you can provide me.

Regards,

Jason Bock

Mon, 28 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PowerBASIC information
Jason,

I'll answer what I know.<g>

Quote:

>I've been trying to find out some information about PowerBASIC for some
>projects that I'm working on, and I'm hoping that I can get some
information
>from those who have already used the tool.  I've already checked their web
>site, but I'm looking for the developer's opinions.  Specifically, I'm
>interested in the PB/DLL 5.0 tool from the following perspectives:

>1)  Stability.  How stable is the PB IDE?  Are there a lot of bugs that
have
>been reported with the 5.0 version?  How about the resultant DLLs?

The IDE is just an enhanced text editor with capability to call the
compiler.  Not a big issue.

Quote:
>3)  Win32 calls.  What is the syntax to make an API call in PB?

Virtually the same as VB.  Any book'l due.

Quote:
>4)  Multithreading.  Is PB thread-safe?  Does anyone have any examples
where
>they've used CreateThread in PB (especially if you've used that PB DLL from
>VB?)

Never tried/used it.

Quote:
>5)  Documentation.  This seems like the only thing that people have really
>complained about.  Is it really THAT bad?

It comes standard as a PDF - which I printed the 120+ pages.  Some of the
sections are dense with info.  I think it's alright.  Problem with it though
is you have to read it.  I have this same problem with most manuals.<g>

Quote:
>6)  PowerGEN.  OK, that tool caught my eye as well.  I assume that PB/DLL
by
>its name, only creates DLL (I know, DUH!).  I'm also assuming that PowerGEN
>allows you to create EXEs.  Has anybody used this tool?  How good/bad is

it?

DLL - not true.  It does generate EXE's as well.  The DLL thing is a
marketing thing (for extending VB).  I think everyone asks this question.

Got it.  Used it a little.  It's a resource organizer/shell generator.
PB/DLL does the compiling.

Paul MacFarlane
American Riviera Software

http://www.business-plaza.com

remove *SPAMLESS* from reply address

Mon, 28 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PowerBASIC information

Quote:
>>6)  PowerGEN.  OK, that tool caught my eye as well.  I assume that PB/DLL
>by
>>its name, only creates DLL (I know, DUH!).  I'm also assuming that
PowerGEN
>>allows you to create EXEs.  Has anybody used this tool?  How good/bad is
>it?

>DLL - not true.  It does generate EXE's as well.  The DLL thing is a
>marketing thing (for extending VB).  I think everyone asks this question.

Not a good thing, IMHO.  It creates too much confusion.  If it [PB/DLL]
creates EXEs, they should tout it as a VB replacement.  PB can run circles
around the MS offerings.  Are they afraid of going head to head with MS?

Tom Lake

Mon, 28 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PowerBASIC information
Yup.  It adds to confusion.  I think the problem with marketing as a VB
"replacement" is that it's hard to keep up with what MS will mix in next.<g>
And, PB doesn't have the development IDE of VB.

I think addressing the markets of the Console, DOS, DLL and 16-bit Windows
is smart.
It's filling the voids.

--
Paul MacFarlane
American Riviera Software

http://www.business-plaza.com

remove *SPAMLESS* from reply address

Quote:

>>>6)  PowerGEN.  OK, that tool caught my eye as well.  I assume that PB/DLL
>>by
>>>its name, only creates DLL (I know, DUH!).  I'm also assuming that
>PowerGEN
>>>allows you to create EXEs.  Has anybody used this tool?  How good/bad is
>>it?

>>DLL - not true.  It does generate EXE's as well.  The DLL thing is a
>>marketing thing (for extending VB).  I think everyone asks this question.

>Not a good thing, IMHO.  It creates too much confusion.  If it [PB/DLL]
>creates EXEs, they should tout it as a VB replacement.  PB can run circles
>around the MS offerings.  Are they afraid of going head to head with MS?

>Tom Lake

Tue, 29 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PowerBASIC information
Yup.  It adds to confusion.  I think the problem with marketing as a VB
"replacement" is that it's hard to keep up with what MS will mix in next.<g>
And, PB doesn't have the development IDE of VB.

I think addressing the markets of the Console, DOS, DLL and 16-bit Windows
is smart.
It's filling the voids.

--
Paul MacFarlane
American Riviera Software

http://www.business-plaza.com

remove *SPAMLESS* from reply address

Quote:

>>>6)  PowerGEN.  OK, that tool caught my eye as well.  I assume that PB/DLL
>>by
>>>its name, only creates DLL (I know, DUH!).  I'm also assuming that
>PowerGEN
>>>allows you to create EXEs.  Has anybody used this tool?  How good/bad is
>>it?

>>DLL - not true.  It does generate EXE's as well.  The DLL thing is a
>>marketing thing (for extending VB).  I think everyone asks this question.

>Not a good thing, IMHO.  It creates too much confusion.  If it [PB/DLL]
>creates EXEs, they should tout it as a VB replacement.  PB can run circles
>around the MS offerings.  Are they afraid of going head to head with MS?

>Tom Lake

Tue, 29 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PowerBASIC information
Yup.  It adds to confusion.  I think the problem with marketing as a VB
"replacement" is that it's hard to keep up with what MS will mix in next.<g>
And, PB doesn't have the development IDE of VB.

I think addressing the markets of the Console, DOS, DLL and 16-bit Windows
is smart.
It's filling the voids.

--
Paul MacFarlane
American Riviera Software

http://www.business-plaza.com

remove *SPAMLESS* from reply address

Quote:

>>>6)  PowerGEN.  OK, that tool caught my eye as well.  I assume that PB/DLL
>>by
>>>its name, only creates DLL (I know, DUH!).  I'm also assuming that
>PowerGEN
>>>allows you to create EXEs.  Has anybody used this tool?  How good/bad is
>>it?

>>DLL - not true.  It does generate EXE's as well.  The DLL thing is a
>>marketing thing (for extending VB).  I think everyone asks this question.

>Not a good thing, IMHO.  It creates too much confusion.  If it [PB/DLL]
>creates EXEs, they should tout it as a VB replacement.  PB can run circles
>around the MS offerings.  Are they afraid of going head to head with MS?

>Tom Lake

Tue, 29 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PowerBASIC information

Quote:
> >DLL - not true.  It does generate EXE's as well.  The DLL thing is a
> >marketing thing (for extending VB).  I think everyone asks this question.

> Not a good thing, IMHO.  It creates too much confusion.  If it [PB/DLL]
> creates EXEs, they should tout it as a VB replacement.  PB can run circles
> around the MS offerings.  Are they afraid of going head to head with MS?

PB/DLL does not include a visual designer, nor does it yet support objects.
Yes, it's technically superior to Visual Basic, but we feel it would not be in
the best interest of our customers to tell them it will do everything that
Visual Basic will when it will NOT at this time.

We like the honest approach, our customers seem to appreciate it.

--Dave

Tue, 29 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PowerBASIC information

Quote:
>5)  Documentation.  This seems like the only thing that people have really
>complained about.  Is it really THAT bad?

The documentation explains the commands and syntax. It doesn't say diddly
about programming for Windows. You're expected to know that already.

Quote:
>6)  PowerGEN.  OK, that tool caught my eye as well.  I assume that PB/DLL
>by its name, only creates DLL (I know, DUH!).  I'm also assuming that
>PowerGEN allows you to create EXEs.  Has anybody used this tool?  How
>good/bad is it?

I thought the very same thing so I bought it, but found it's not what I
expected. It's not a dialogue editor by any means. And, PB/DLL does do
exe's. It's just not advertised as such. I prefer compiling from the command
line and have done only exe's with PB/DLL. It's self-contained, no run-time
package to worry with, creates windows, menus, dialogue boxes, the whole
bit. You can embed resources - bitmaps, etc., and call up the common
dialogues (file open and save, print, fonts, and colors). Best of all, you
can copy wholesale your DOS PowerBasic code and make only those changes
needed to paint text in a window (no Print command for obvious reasons).

Dave

Wed, 30 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PowerBASIC information

Quote:
>I thought the very same thing so I bought it, but found it's not what I
>expected. It's not a dialogue editor by any means. And, PB/DLL does do
>exe's. It's just not advertised as such. I prefer compiling from the command
>line and have done only exe's with PB/DLL. It's self-contained, no run-time
>package to worry with, creates windows, menus, dialogue boxes, the whole
>bit. You can embed resources - bitmaps, etc., and call up the common
>dialogues (file open and save, print, fonts, and colors). Best of all, you
>can copy wholesale your DOS PowerBasic code and make only those changes
>needed to paint text in a window (no Print command for obvious reasons).

>Dave

So if PB/DLL does all that, what is PowerGEN for?

Maybe the Powerbasic website needs a few more screenshots and more
detailed descriptions of its products.

Ray Greene.

Fri, 01 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 PowerBASIC information
PB is for programmers, I mean REAL programmers. It's very very good if you
know about programming, api's, the lot.
It's stable and has unsurpassed performance.
what it's not?

- 'easy' to use, I mean it's not a RAD tool, even with add-ons
- main stream ( I mean it should have sold 200 times fold, since its so
good)
- VB
- DELPHI
-C ( Although some might disagree :))

Sat, 02 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Req: any information about retrieving register information of CPU

2. looking for powerbasic 3.x

3. PowerBASIC at Davar Web Site

4. PowerBASIC at Davar Web Site

5. PowerBASIC at Davar Web Site

6. PowerBASIC at Davar Web Site

7. New PowerBASIC compilers!

8. PowerBASIC at Davar Web Site

9. PowerBASIC at Davar Web Site

10. PowerBasic and FreeDOS32

11. Compiling an OBJ module into a basic program in version 3.5 PowerBasic for DOS

12. converting to powerbasic