Check Modem Status
Author Message
 Check Modem Status

My Dad gave me an interesting problem to look at.

He sometimes gets distracted when he has connected via dialup to his ISP
(EXECPC in New Berlin WI).

ExecPC monitors his activity; if there is none for twenty minutes, the ISP
diconnects. However, his phone remains off-hook and he can neither receive
nor make 'real' phone calls.

He was wondering if there was some way I could write something to monitor
this situation, and if too much time has passed, just hang up the phone.

I was looking at the PB COMM commands, and it looks as though I could COMM
SEND "ATSnn?"  to interrogate the 'on-hook/off-hook' status, and if too much
time has passed I could send ATH to hang it up. However, that does
not deal with the situation where he is actually on-line (don't want to hang
up); and I don't know if{*filter*} up though the back door is going to PO
Windows, which in general seems to tolerate only "Windows' Way or No Way"
when it comes to device management.

As far as the on-line situation: I could, of course, send a dialog to him
every 30 minutes or so, asking him to confirm that he is is still on-line
and that I should not hang up the phone, and if he does not answer in, say,
five minutes then I just hang up. (I'd make those configuration settings).

Am I on the right track here? Or should I be looking at something else?

Once I get this working, I'd be glad to put the software in the public
domain and post the source code on the PB BBS site, if that influences
anyone's willingness to help.

If such software already exists, I do not have a need to re-invent it and
would
buy/download/whatever.

Of course, some of you Windows-serial-comm literate types might want to
write this just for the advertising value of 'your name' in an "about" box.
(Hint hint).

--
Michael C. Mattias
Tal Systems

Sun, 26 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 Check Modem Status
On Wed, 09 Aug 2000 22:04:34 GMT, "Michael Mattias"
You are on the right track. Here is what I would do ...
1. Write a timer driven app to send a tcp connect command out to a
reliable web site - (tcp Open "www.whatever.com" port=80 as #file)
2. If this fails, you know you're not connected (you'll have to trap
the error). You might want to try a different site if that fails
incase the site is down.
3. Download my ras dial code from www.basicguru.com/dickinson - it has
the ability to check which ras connections are running and then hangup
one.

Or something like that.

Quote:
>My Dad gave me an interesting problem to look at.

>He sometimes gets distracted when he has connected via dialup to his ISP
>(EXECPC in New Berlin WI).

>ExecPC monitors his activity; if there is none for twenty minutes, the ISP
>diconnects. However, his phone remains off-hook and he can neither receive
>nor make 'real' phone calls.

>He was wondering if there was some way I could write something to monitor
>this situation, and if too much time has passed, just hang up the phone.

>I was looking at the PB COMM commands, and it looks as though I could COMM
>SEND "ATSnn?"  to interrogate the 'on-hook/off-hook' status, and if too much
>time has passed I could send ATH to hang it up. However, that does
>not deal with the situation where he is actually on-line (don't want to hang
>up); and I don't know if{*filter*} up though the back door is going to PO
>Windows, which in general seems to tolerate only "Windows' Way or No Way"
>when it comes to device management.

>As far as the on-line situation: I could, of course, send a dialog to him
>every 30 minutes or so, asking him to confirm that he is is still on-line
>and that I should not hang up the phone, and if he does not answer in, say,
>five minutes then I just hang up. (I'd make those configuration settings).

>Am I on the right track here? Or should I be looking at something else?

>Once I get this working, I'd be glad to put the software in the public
>domain and post the source code on the PB BBS site, if that influences
>anyone's willingness to help.

>If such software already exists, I do not have a need to re-invent it and
>would
>buy/download/whatever.

>Of course, some of you Windows-serial-comm literate types might want to
>write this just for the advertising value of 'your name' in an "about" box.
>(Hint hint).

>--
>Michael C. Mattias
>Tal Systems
>Racine WI

Sun, 26 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Checking modem status with Cobol?

2. How to detect modem line status?

3. Q: How to check Modem on COM 2 ??

4. Checking status of windows print job

5. FLAGSHIP: check printer status?

6. Check Button Status

7. Check for Serial Break Status ?

8. Logon Status Check

9. EDWIN status check

10. Newbie - Check the status of NT Services

11. Checking connection status to Internet

12. Series 2000 status check